Cost of brake job?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of brake job?

Has anyone had their front brakes done yet? I have 15,300 miles on my car, and the audible wear indicators sound like they are in use. I called the local dealership, and they said it would cost around $500 because the rotors can't be turned... they have to be replaced!

Keep in mind that the brakes/rotors haven't been seen by a technician yet, but to receive a quote of that amount seems ridiculous. I was told that this is how it is on BMWs and Mercedes.

Old 03-06-2003, 03:59 PM
IQ9
Re: Cost of brake job?

Its true about the BMWs & Mercedes and Infiniti. The brake job should cost around the price you were quoted. It is a hard pill to swallow but that is the reality of it. You could get Slotted rotors from Stillen about $320 for the pair and find a shop to put them on. It might be the same price or slightly less-just another option for you

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Premium/Winter/Aero
69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 03-06-2003, 08:25 PM

Shouldnt they still be under warranty? 15000 miles sounds like premature wear to me

Old 03-06-2003, 09:55 PM

Marcel, from reading all of the other posts on this board about break wear they are designed to wear at this milage...

..pestilence..

Old 03-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod

well my dealer quoted me for 150 i think for the brake pads. So if the rotors cost around 300, it sounds about right. Does everyone have to change their rotors this soon?

Old 03-06-2003, 11:47 PM
IQ9

Most manufactures warrent the rotors for 12,000 or 12 months. The rotors are suppose to wear out that quick.It makes the car stop so damn well.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Premium/Winter/Aero
69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 03-07-2003, 09:18 AM
VNT

The rotors may or may not need to be replaced...or even turned depending on the amount of runout and its thickness. I would guesstimate $150-$200 for a pad replacement job.

You don't have Brembos right?

Old 03-07-2003, 11:15 AM

Right VNT -- I don't have Brembo's. I did talk to the dealership yesterday and they said they would install the Stillens with no harm to the warranty.

Stillen stocks a new rotor that is drilled and slotted for $332 (pair) and their pads are $55 (pair). So, the cost of an install of Stillens would be comparable to the factory parts by the dealer. I think I might go this route if the rotors are below specs.

Thanks IQ9 for the tip on the Stillens!

rm -r /bin/laden

Old 03-07-2003, 11:37 AM

I have been complaining about my brakes squeaking since I had about 5 to 6k miles. The dealer kept on saying that this was normal due to the hardness of the pad. So I said fine and just kept driving. Embarrassed at times because people would hear squeaking brakes on a brand new car.

My car is actual at the dealership as I write this post. I have 15k and they sound really bad. I will get the verdict some time this afternoon, on what needs to be done. I have also confirmed what others have said that these brakes are designed to wear out at about 15k miles, depending on driving habits. This is what they told me at the dealship...but maybe they are just trying to cover themselves. If I get a call today saying that the rotors can't be turned I will be very upset. The reason being is that I have asked them to check the brakes several times and they should have noticed that the brakes had to be serviced before the rotors got really bad. Usually rotor can't be turned when you run them with really worn out brake pads, which will damage the rotor. If you have been asking them to check the brakes prior to this, you should complain and ask why they didn't recommend changing the pads and turning the rotors before it was too late. I am a Mechanical Engineer and I realize that due to the hardness of the pad and high friction that is produced wear occurs a lot more rapid than on normal non-high performance wear. And 15k for new pad might be acceptable, but 15k for new rotor is definitely not a good design and is not acceptable. That's my thoughts.

Well good luck! I will let you know how it goes for me.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:00 PM
VNT

Who's a ME? Me too.

Keep in mind, the specifications of the rotor thickness, from new to replace...sometimes companies do it thin, to shave some weight. Whether this is the case for the G35? Maybe Learn2Turn, our service department guy can clue us in on the specs.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:21 PM

I traded my sedan with 15k on it. I also complained alot about break noise, my dealorship gave me the same shpeel about the metalic break pads. At 15000 miles i believe i had 70% left on my pads, but of course I just so happened to take alot of road trips in that time period. Thats the only reason i thought it was premature wear.

Old 03-16-2003, 03:08 PM

how did you get them to do that?!?!?!? which dealership did u go to? maybe its in so cal!

..pestilence..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cost of brake job?