Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

upgrading factory speakers and keep the bose...

Old 04-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading factory speakers and keep the bose...

is this possible to replace my factory mids and tweeters with my boston acoustic pro series 6.5 components with the bose deck? or does this require an aftermarket one?

how many speakers total inside our car? 6? 2 tweets, 2 mids, and the 2 rears, right?i dont have the premium package, so... but i plan on getting a jl 300/4 to push my boston acoustic pro series 6.5 components in the front and the factory rears, and keeping the bose deck... will this work?

cause the jl amps are rated at 1.5-4ohm, meaning that any speaker will get its full potential rms wattage going to them right? because i remember most amps only give its true power at a certain ohm load... but the jl can do that at any load between 1.5-4ohm... so im wondering how many ohm are my boston acoustic pro series 6.5

anyone here be able to help me out on this one... im just really anxious to upgrade my system, the bose is really horrible... my 1st step is to get the sub installed, and later on, the components upgraded, and last i will replace the deck, cause that is expensive, knowing that i have to special order a dash kit from japan and all...

Old 04-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Re: upgrading factory speakers and keep the bose..

the JL XXX/X series does work from 1.5 to 4 ohm. But keep in mind it will take a measurement of least resistance when its turned on and will set its single power source accordingly. So if you have the front channels pulling 2-Ohm and the back channels pulling 4-ohms the back will only get half of its rated power. For the 300/4 that you mentioned it means the rear will only get 38Watts whereas the front will get the desired 75. Use parallel 4-Ohm resistors (with high wattage ratings) to counteract this effect.

-JustICE

Old 04-02-2004, 03:06 AM

ok... can someone tell me how many speakers total in the 2004 g35 coupe? the non premium package bose one...

6 right? also does the non premium coupe have the factory bose amp or no?

i wanna put my boston acoustic pro 6.5 components in my car...

with around 50 watts goin to each side...

i know they can between 20 - 400watts...

but i have an alpine mrv-f407 120x4 amp now...

Old 04-02-2004, 03:27 PM

I also have the non-premium coupe. There are six speakers; tweets and mids up front, and little mids in the back sides.

The non-premium has a factory bose amp.

Hooking up an aftermarket amp could be a trick. My install shop says they're going to run the after-amp, speaker-level signal into my amps. (Precision Power). I get the car back tonight. I post more after I've had a chance to listen to it.
(I'm putting in Boston Z6s and a Boston sub.)

Old 04-04-2004, 07:16 PM

bun, did you get your car back, if so how does the upgrade sound, please tell me about it, would like to hear...

Old 04-04-2004, 09:47 PM

I did get the car back, Saturday afternoon. I'm still getting used to the new system, breaking in the speakers (although I doubt that's a huge deal), trying to get the right balance between fronts and the sub.
All-in-all I'm pretty happy. I'm thrilled with the fronts--the Boston Z6 speakers. I'm amazed at how low they'll play. They have them crossed-over at 60Hz, and their low frequences sound great. I've run my favorite songs through them, and everything sounds rich and full.
The sub is great too. When I crank something up, the bass is deafening. I need to find a good balance.
I'll get some photos of the trunk. I have one amp. mounted on the rear seat back. The sub is mounted on the driver's side back corner of the trunk--behind the wheel well. This sounds like a popular location, as I remember reading about another G35 where they'd put a sub there. I had them build a custom fiberglass enclosure. The amp for the sub is mounted on what I believe is a board mounted to the wheel well. Everything (the sub enclosure and the area around the sub's amp) is carpeted to match the stock trunk carpet, so it's hard to tell what's old and what's new.
I need to get used to everything, but I'm pretty pleased right now.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Black 2004 G35 6MT, chrome wheels, black, still pristine

I have the non-premium car as well, and I can't find the amp anywhere. With the BOSE system, the amp is under the plastic piece to the left of the tire in the trunk. There's no such thing in my car. I dont' see any other place that it's hiding. And based on the schematics diagram I have from Inifiniti, it doesn't have an amp. It's pushing all the power from the main deck circuitboard it appears. I plan on putting in my new system (everything) as soon as I get my parts from Japan in about 2-3 weeks. I have already ordered them from Yosi. Can't wait. I'm getting the new Alpine CDA-9835 Head Unit - talk about sweet... dayuuuum. Depending on the depth of the door and back seat I'll have to figure out what speakers I can use there. ..........

Does anyone have the depth of the door and rear seat speaker area without the BOSE system? I think they are actually different in the 2 cars. Bose has 6.5" in the rear seat, but a guy at the audio place said they were 5.5". Didn't know if anyone knew this....

Also, one other great piece of advice.... with the NON-Premium system, the 6x9 cutouts are still there in the rear deck - so you can punch those out (below the deck and above the rear inside-trunk-panelling) and the bass with flow to the inside of your car a bit better making it sound great. You can't see the holes, after they've been punched out, but it will sound great.

Again - someone let me know the depth of the speaker area (front and rear seat) for a non-premium system. Need depth and speaker size. THANKS!!

I'll post pics at the end of this month when it's all done - dang this thing looks sweet already. Black on black 6MT, no premium... factory chrome wheels, aero package & kit w/spoiler, clear corners, side molding, pinstripe, 5% tint - WHOA NELLLIEEEEE!

Turns heads everytime I drive somewhere - even at the dealership!

The Bamadog
Dallas, TX

Old 04-04-2004, 11:10 PM

I think I lied in an earlier post about the non-premium stereo system having a amp. I was told that it did and passed along that info.
My install people said there is no amp. They've converted the speaker-level outs from the deck to RCAs into my amps.
Sorry for the confusion and outright poor information I gave.
Beat me, whip me.
..Bryan..

Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 AM

bamadog, i think in the 04 coupes, the front mids are 6.5...

and you're saying that on the non premium systems we don't have 6x9's? i thought we had speakers in the back? weird, anyhow i dont plan on having rearfill anyways, so thats no biggy to me... you said that since there's no 6x9 in the back we can punch out a hole so the bass will flow thru the cabin? if so is this hard to do?

and to clear something up, i think the factory mids, are actually MID BASSES, not midrange like most components come with, that is why its so bassy and punchy...

correct me if im wrong...

Old 04-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Black 2004 G35 6MT, chrome wheels, black, still pristine

Yes, the fronts are 6.5 - but I need to know the depth of the speaker. I want to get some component Alpine 6.5's up front, but I need to know the depth so I don't have something that won't fit. As for the 6x9's - yeah - take a look on the rear deck... there are no speakers there. On the Bose system, there ARE 6x9's though. BUT since the rear deck is the SAME for all coupes, they already have a 6x9 punchout on the rear deck (the metal I believe). So if you take off the seal around the passthrough and reach up in there where the rear deck is, you'll even feel the place where they punch out the 6x9 area to put the Bose speakers should you get the Premium system. Just take those out and the bass from the trunk will pass through to the cabin. Cool, huh?

Even if you read the stereo setup on your sticker, you'll see 6-speaker system with 6-disk changer. 2 back seat (knee level), 2 front doors and 2 tweeters on the mirrors. Most people forget that they count the tweeters as "speakers". On the Bose system, you'll see they say it's an 8-speaker system because they throw a couple of 6x9's on the rear deck...

And yes, the speakers on the front doors are mid-basses - heck, they boom pretty good actually when you turn it up... I'm still going to swap them out because the tweets are weak in my book. As for the rear seat speakers ..... HA HA HA HA HA .... they are a complete JOKE. Adjust the fader controls so JUST the rear speakers are playing. Heck, you might as well just have the front 2 only. They wasted time even putting those pieces of crap in there?

What's the depth of those rear seat speakers anyway? And I've heard 6.5 and 5.25 are the diameter of these speakers in the NON-premium system. Which is it?? I haven't taken mine apart yet, but was wondering these few simple questions. Thanks,... and I hope I have been of some assistance. Bamadog out......