The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Mystery Noise: Sounds like a stone hitting under the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mystery Noise: Sounds like a stone hitting under the car

I've been noticing a noise, which I can only explain as sounding like a stone hitting the underside of my car, for the past few weeks now. I've been driving around like crazy to try and diagnose the problem and just this week I've taking apart the rear half of the interior and trunk to try and solve the problem.

I have not been able to relate the noise to speed, cornering, or bumps of any kind. It happens on smooth newly paved roads and half @$$ maintained roads with patched potholes. It just seems to happen randomly every few seconds, sometimes more sometimes less, again with no pattern.

Since I've taken apart the car I've tried to remedy possible problems (mostly loose wires) with zip ties and electrical tape to no avail. My only conclusion is that it is not coming from inside the cabin.

Has anyone else had an issue like this and is this a warranty thing that I can take it to the dealer because I give up?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Is it a loud noise...almost like a "clunk" or is it soft?

-Sean

Old 10-06-2007, 01:31 PM
It's definitely no hammer banging on metal noise. Probably something you wouldn't even notice unless you drive the car regularly. It could easily be passed off as just another rock being picked up the wheel and hitting the underside of the car.

I hadn't noticed it until it started getting cooler outside, enough to drive around with the windows up. Now since I know it's there I can easily pick it out.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Early A$s Sunday Morning Bump

Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I was thinking about it on the way home from a friends house this morning...When the windows are down and you have no music do you hear this pebble clanking noise? Like things are being kicked up off the road to the underside of the car?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you say its more of a ping or a click sound?

Old 10-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Im going to say its your rear wheel bearing...try to drive next to some walls or streets that are lined with buildings and see if you can hear it comming from one side more than the other.

-Sean

Old 10-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe the rear axle click problem that plaques us all....Is it consistent at start off or randomly happens while driving?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:41 PM
I was having the same problem, but i wasnt sure what it was. It almost sounds like when they just pave the streets and u have fairly new tires, the rocks being picked up off of the street is a similar sound. It went away on my car though.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
Maybe the rear axle click problem that plaques us all....Is it consistent at start off or randomly happens while driving?

It doesn't happen while driving. Its only when you start moving...

-Sean

Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
Can you elaborate on this for me? I'm pretty sure I have this clicking noise, just wasn't sure if it is something that I should be worried about...

For now, I just turn the music up and drive. Out of sight (or sound), out of mind!

Thanks,
-Kevin

Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
It really sound like it coming from the inside of the trunk, but I ripped apart half the car and determined thats not the case (maybe I should get a midget to sit back there while I drive around ).

I was thinking about it on the way home from a friends house this morning...When the windows are down and you have no music do you hear this pebble clanking noise? Like things are being kicked up off the road to the underside of the car?
Considering I started noticing it when the weather got colder and I started driving around with the windows up I doubt I'll be able to hear it from the outside of the car with the windows down: however I'll give it a try when I get some time and nice enough weather.

Would you say its more of a ping or a click sound?
I'd have to call it more of a ping sound.

Im going to say its your rear wheel bearing...
That'd be covered under warranty, right? But if your talking about a CV joint I know what that is like. I've had 2 go on me in other cars, although they were both FWD. I can't get underneath the car to check them out though.

It almost sounds like when they just pave the streets and u have fairly new tires, the rocks being picked up off of the street is a similar sound.
Kind-of, yes. Except just one rock.

I can only describe it as random. Last night driving home I wouldn't hear it for a mile or 2, then I would hear it a few times in just a few hundred yards. In gear, coasting, WOT, half throttle, no throttle, breaking (haven't tried 100% breaking ). I can't seem to pin down any pattern.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
You still rolling like this in your weight reduction post?
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=80

This noise just start? Or have you had it since your weight reduction project?
Yes...I read your whole thread on that...props to you on shaving 200lbs.
Keep in mine that a noise that we all may have will be heard much easier with your ride like that, if you've had that noise since completion of your project.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Keep in mine that a noise that we all may have will be heard much easier with your ride like that, if you've had that noise since completion of your project.
I won't deny that there is the possibility that the noise is easier to hear because of the project, but I don't think the cause of the noise is the project itself.

The car is otherwise stock.

I'll take the car to the dealer eventually, but I have no convienent time to drop it off for about the next month and a half

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mystery Noise: Sounds like a stone hitting under the car