G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

VQ35DE REBUILD ENGINE

Old 08-09-2004, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VQ35DE REBUILD ENGINE

Want a 400 hp all motor 350Z? Want to pump out 1000 hp with a turbo? Want your, G35, Pathfinder, Altima or Maxima to bone out? If this sounds like something you want, check this out.

AEBS is proud to release their 4.3-liter kit for the VQ35DE engine. In stock form, the VQ35DE is an exceedingly robust engine. The crank is well supported by a robust girdle. The crank itself has large journals and a lot of overlap, more so than the venerable VG30DE engine. The block itself is high pressure die cast aluminum for strength and light weight. These are all big pluses. On the top end, the head has a combustion chamber with a detonation resisting shallow included valve angle and a lot of quench. Big intake and exhaust ports flow more than the old VG. A lightweight mechanical valve train also has a better rev potential.

The weak point of the VQ block is its open deck construction and freestanding bores. Nissan did this so the cylinder top end would be more evenly heated to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. Open decks also lend themselves to die casting better. The bad part about this is when the engine is loaded hard, the unsupported cylinders walk around compromising head seal and eventually cracking from the pressure. Thus a stock VQ block should not be boosted past 16 or so psi or have more than a 120 shot of Nitrous run through it or damage can result.

To reduce emissions the VQ has its compression rings near the top of the piston. This reduces crevice volume and the potential for hydrocarbons hiding in this area to contaminate the exhaust. The downside is that this weakens the piston and detonation can thus easily break the piston in the ring land area. Many a forced induction VQ in a Z has succumbed to this fate.

AEBS has a solution to this. AEBS re machines the block to accept their fully buttressed centrifugally spun nodular iron deck sleeves. The thick sleeves can take a huge overbore and still maintain strength. The full deck gives the head gasket additional clamping area so blown gaskets will be a thing of the past. The full deck also eliminates cylinder flexing and any chance of cylinder wall breakage. The thick deck flange also prevents the bane of all sleeved engines, a sunk sleeve. AEBS forged pistons for any compression ratio you desire solve the ring land breakage problem. The pistons are a tough low silicon alloy and feature strong and lightweight tool steel pins.

Another problem is that the VQ's have marginal rod bolts that are failure prone much past 7200 rpm. AEBS solves this problem with their forged rods. The rods are machined from forged 4340 chrome molly blanks and feature SPS 180,000 psi bolts. No breaking these suckas. AEBS's stroker crank is machined from a forged 4340 billet as well. This crank should be bullet proof and should be able to take anything you can throw at it.

4.3 liters is a lot of engine and it can spool a big turbo. 1000 hp should easily be a reality with this combo of parts. If you are into cheap econo builds, then this kit is not for you. If you want the best and the trickest, then look no further.

http://nissanperformancemag.com/june04/aebs/

319516-block.jpg

Old 08-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Re: VQ35DE REBUILD ENGINE

319518-kit.jpg

Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 AM

For the record, I know nothing about rebuilding engines. This all sounds very interesting to me, but has AEBS ever successfully performed this task?
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The pistons are a tough low silicon alloy and feature strong and lightweight tool steel pins.

<hr></blockquote>
If so, why on earth would they use "tool steel pins" instead of quality dowel or diamond pins? Something like MS16555-6XX that is stainless steel, much stronger at 160ksi, and much more resistant to rust. Not to mention they are so cheap. Plus, why bother using either a NAS1351 or NAS1352 "N" designation screw that is 180ksi if you're not going to use good dowel pins? Those screws are quite expensive in low quantities.

Again, I'm not an engine builder and am glad that there are companies performing this task for us, but this one point didn't settle too well with me.

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can picture a 1000hp turbo Pathfinder (or better yet, a Quest minivan) flying over Rocky Mountain in the next beer commercial. "Off-Roading"

Seriously though, what kind of price and gas milage are we looking at here?

Old 08-09-2004, 12:00 PM

I'm speachless...and broke...

Old 08-24-2004, 09:39 PM

That Stroker kit is the [censored]. I have seen all the parts in person. I was actually there when they did a few of the stroker motors for Japan. As far as their track record? These guys know their stuff, and I would recommend them to anyone for any type of engine building for race or street cars. They have been building recording breaking cars for a while now. And have been involved in the import race scene with numerous cars in the past.they are just too busy now days making our cars faster, and don't have time for their own projects. They will surely be doing my motor.

Keith Ta
www.speedforceracing.com