Anyone tried R1 Concepts OEM rotors?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone tried R1 Concepts OEM rotors?

All 4 of my rotors are at the minimum thickness so they need to be replaced soon. I looked on Ebay and found that R1 Concepts is currently selling the whole rotor set (2 front, 2 rear) for the same price as one factory rotor sold from the Infiniti dealer. The price seems too good to be true but I did a little background research on the company R1 Concepts, and it seems according to this forum that there are mixed opinions on the product quality of their rotors (including rusting issues). I was just wondering if any of us here have experienced rotors purchased from R1 Concepts and how would you rate the quality of their product.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I do not have them, but I was considering them for a little while. After reading reviews of what's been going on with their rotors, I decided against them and started looking elsewhere.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Don't have any experience with them but have known a number of people who went with Racing Brake and had good results.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts
dont get me started!

search my threads for a good review and tons of responses.

short version...buy from www.ocautosports.com instead

Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
^ i dont want to bash them or anything Shawn but i bought from OCAUTOSPORTS.com... the rotors were ok but the pads were just crap. i had no stopping power and they squealed like no other. when i had pulled the pads off they had glazed over.... If you do decide to go with them, specify the pads you want!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by SxExCx
dont get me started!

search my threads for a good review and tons of responses.

short version...buy from www.ocautosports.com instead
Yes I remember reading your threads regarding the bad experience and customer service from R1 Concepts. Of course hearing stories like this makes us other customers very wary about buying any future product from the company in question, so I just wanted to hear from others who maybe have some kind of positive experience w/ R1 Concepts rotors so I can decide if the Ebay purchase is worth it for my needs of rotor replacement.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just recently installed r1 rotors and they are fine so far. I painted the slots and holes black and im not getting too much rust problems like others too. Braking is good and everything is good

Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotdawwgman
^ i dont want to bash them or anything Shawn but i bought from OCAUTOSPORTS.com... the rotors were ok but the pads were just crap. i had no stopping power and they squealed like no other. when i had pulled the pads off they had glazed over.... If you do decide to go with them, specify the pads you want!
I understand you're unhappy with your centric posi-quiet brake pads and that's why I offered you a full refund on them and let you put that money towards hawk brake pads. The hawk pads are still in my office waiting for you to pick up. We're here 9-6pm M-F but it's always good to give me a call first at 714-817-0000 incase I might be out at the moment. Looking forward to resolving this problem. Thanks. Dave.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have those Rotors and R1 is the distruibitor they are actualy made by CENTRIC the same company that manufacturs rotors for STOP TECH.

I have NO complaints

I painted the centers black 3 layers to avoid rusting.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I haveR-1 premium drilled/slotted, painted surface with high temp rotor paint; no problems and good stopping power.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thr R1 rotors are great. I am using them on both of my cars. I haven't had any customer service issues either. In fact, they called me to let me know the pads I ordered were on back order and wanted my input on what to do.

I agree that the Centric Posi-Quiet pads lack good braking feel. I am replacing them ASAP.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just installed mine. The rotors look good. But the pads on the other hand looks like a cheap piece of chit.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the R1 Concepts cross drilled and slotted rotors, both front and rear. I received them a few days ago and installed just the front ones today (there's no space for me to remove the calipers in the rears, I might have to go to a shop to get them done).

In any case, the rotors look really good compared to my stock worn-out ones (the front ones measured at 20 mm thickness so they needed to be replaced bad). Performance wise, the braking difference is night and day; it's more grabby and similar to how it's felt when a G rolls out from the showroom. I love it overall, I'll post up some pics once I get the car washed up.

Quick question: Do brake pads generally wear out faster with cross drilled and/or slotted rotors than the blank OEM rotors (kinda similar to the effect of a cheese grater)? Also, when I apply the brakes semi-hard from 30-40 mph and slow down to around 10 mph, I feel a slight shudder on the brake pedal. Is this normal for new cross drilled and slotted rotors, and will this shudder feeling go away once the new rotors break in after a while?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lexusk8
Quick question: Do brake pads generally wear out faster with cross drilled and/or slotted rotors than the blank OEM rotors (kinda similar to the effect of a cheese grater)? Also, when I apply the brakes semi-hard from 30-40 mph and slow down to around 10 mph, I feel a slight shudder on the brake pedal. Is this normal for new cross drilled and slotted rotors, and will this shudder feeling go away once the new rotors break in after a while?
In short, yes your pads will wear faster. I have been running the R1concepts rotors with the Endless Vita Nuova pads and they last me about 10 months or so with aggressive street driving.

You will feel a slight shudder when you get new rotors b/c they need to match surfaces with the pads. Make sure you do the proper bed-in procedure and you should be okay to go.

Just to give everyone a heads up, I was part of the intial group buy on the R1concepts rotors. There was a huge issue with the rusting problem with the rotors. When it came time to get rotors again (a few weeks ago), I contacted Sam from R1concepts and asked him if he could get me the premium rotors and zinc coat the ENTIRE rotor. He was able to send me the rotors as I requested and they are much better in appearance. It just got done raining here and I have NO RUST on any part of the rotor. Essentially, any part that was zinc coated was wiped away by the brake pad. So far so good. If you are interested in picking up these rotors, contact Sam from R1concepts and ask for the same setup.

I will post pictures of the rotors when I get a chance.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RXM
In short, yes your pads will wear faster. I have been running the R1concepts rotors with the Endless Vita Nuova pads and they last me about 10 months or so with aggressive street driving.

You will feel a slight shudder when you get new rotors b/c they need to match surfaces with the pads. Make sure you do the proper bed-in procedure and you should be okay to go.

Just to give everyone a heads up, I was part of the intial group buy on the R1concepts rotors. There was a huge issue with the rusting problem with the rotors. When it came time to get rotors again (a few weeks ago), I contacted Sam from R1concepts and asked him if he could get me the premium rotors and zinc coat the ENTIRE rotor. He was able to send me the rotors as I requested and they are much better in appearance. It just got done raining here and I have NO RUST on any part of the rotor. Essentially, any part that was zinc coated was wiped away by the brake pad. So far so good. If you are interested in picking up these rotors, contact Sam from R1concepts and ask for the same setup.

I will post pictures of the rotors when I get a chance.
^^ -

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried R1 Concepts OEM rotors?