V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Problem removing center console

Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem removing center console

I have a 2008 G35 Journey Sport 5AT and am trying to get to the AV unit, for educational purposes.

I have been able to successfully remove the shift **** and lift the center console off of it's 'locking tabs', however, it seems to be connected at the cigarette lighter as I cannot lift it up further, and am hesitant to apply any additional force as I don't want to break anything.

I have been able to unscrew the 2 screws that hold the fascia of the radio controls and climate control, but am unable to lift that off as the center console is still in the way.

I will try and take pics to help clarify what is going on.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions regarding the loosening of the center console?

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put the shifter into neutral and your problems will be solved.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ground Beef
I have a 2008 G35 Journey Sport 5AT and am trying to get to the AV unit, for educational purposes.

I have been able to successfully remove the shift **** and lift the center console off of it's 'locking tabs', however, it seems to be connected at the cigarette lighter as I cannot lift it up further, and am hesitant to apply any additional force as I don't want to break anything.

I have been able to unscrew the 2 screws that hold the fascia of the radio controls and climate control, but am unable to lift that off as the center console is still in the way.

I will try and take pics to help clarify what is going on.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions regarding the loosening of the center console?

Thanks.
Very important: DO NOT POWER UP THE CAR WITH ANY HARNESSES DISCONNECTED or you will be dealing with error codes.

If you have an auto trans, put it into neutral first.

Remove shift ****.

Shifter boot comes of by picking it up from the rear - (NO TOOLS REQUIRED to minimize scratching)

Everything else comes out in order by working your way up the console stack using only a phillips screwdriver.

No force required anywhere.

Just a note, with practice, the LCD and nav unit can come out in about 5 minutes.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys...

Terry, I've been following the TT install on your car...all I have to say is SICK. Have you actually been able to travel backwards in time, b/c it sounds fast fast fast...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
LOL... I used to read Playboy for the same reason.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL!

yea no force should be required anywhere. always take note on what is catching/resisting, then troubleshoot on how to remedy/free it.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Aeson:

Don't knock Playboy's 'journalists'. The articles were captivating...

The firm voluptuous articles....

Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by AesonVirus
LOL... I used to read Playboy for the same reason.
OT .. but there is more educational material in the libraries of the AG section.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
OT .. but there is more educational material in the libraries of the AG section.
And worth every it of the admission price! LOL

Old 10-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When putting the car in neutral, you can do this with the car just turned off, correct? I will have to put the handbrake down during this process as well? I have an AT.

I read the service manual in regards to the removal of the center console.. they say to put the car in drive... why is that?

if neutral is good enough.. according to you guys.

thanks.

Originally Posted by terrycs
Very important: DO NOT POWER UP THE CAR WITH ANY HARNESSES DISCONNECTED or you will be dealing with error codes.

If you have an auto trans, put it into neutral first.

Remove shift ****.

Shifter boot comes of by picking it up from the rear - (NO TOOLS REQUIRED to minimize scratching)

Everything else comes out in order by working your way up the console stack using only a phillips screwdriver.

No force required anywhere.

Just a note, with practice, the LCD and nav unit can come out in about 5 minutes.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wes_888
When putting the car in neutral, you can do this with the car just turned off, correct? I will have to put the handbrake down during this process as well? I have an AT.

I read the service manual in regards to the removal of the center console.. they say to put the car in drive... why is that?

if neutral is good enough.. according to you guys.

thanks.
D might give you more clearance ... it couldn't hurt. Just rememeber not to power anything up. You have a hand brake on your automatic? Is that an X thing?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh sorry... not a hand brake.. but a foot brake.

So its fine then eh? putting the car in D while the car is turned off? It sounds weird doing it. Do I still press the brakes? lol

sounds so illogical...

Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wes_888
Oh sorry... not a hand brake.. but a foot brake.

So its fine then eh? putting the car in D while the car is turned off? It sounds weird doing it. Do I still press the brakes? lol

sounds so illogical...
Yes ... parking brake on, ignition off, car in N or D

Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I got most of the way there last night. (I'm talking about accessing the AV unit you sick bastards! ) However, when I had it in neutral and turned off the engine there was an incessant beeping that wouldn't stop indicating that I was in neutral even though I shut the car off. I'm guessing that if I engage the parking brake it will quell the beeping???

Anyway, this forum is a fantastic resource. I am learning more day after day...If I put forth this effort and had this desire to learn in my real job, I'd probably be CEO!!!

Terry, forgive my ignorance, but I wasn't following when you said:

"but there is more educational material in the libraries of the AG section"

Like I said....I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 AM

I got most of the way there last night. (I'm talking about accessing the AV unit you sick bastards! ) However, when I had it in neutral and turned off the engine there was an incessant beeping that wouldn't stop indicating that I was in neutral even though I shut the car off. I'm guessing that if I engage the parking brake it will quell the beeping???

Anyway, this forum is a fantastic resource. I am learning more day after day...If I put forth this effort and had this desire to learn in my real job, I'd probably be CEO!!!

Terry, forgive my ignorance, but I wasn't following when you said:

"but there is more educational material in the libraries of the AG section"

Like I said....I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.
If I recall, to keep the beeping sound off I took the car out of park by using the shifter release button which is hidden under the tiny rectanglular panel near the upper left of the shifter gate. Use a small screwdriver and be very careful not to scratch it.

To minimize the risk of scratching, you can also access the button by lifting up the shifter trim first, just enough to get your finger to the button underneith, but you may as well learn how to take the car out of park by going through the access panel. All this will become obvious once you get a look under the shifter panel.

The AG section is visible to premier members. You can read up on what the benefits of paid membership are.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem removing center console