G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2005 Infiniti G35 vs 2005 Acura TL

Old 11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Infiniti G35 vs 2005 Acura TL

Hey all,

Just joined to get some opinions. I've got an '03 Acura CL Type-S Coupe and I'll be trading it in before the end of the year depending on tonight's election results ...I know the 2005 G35 aren't even on the street yet, but any gear heads in here able to say distinctly why one is a better or worse choice over the other? And yeah, I know it's just your opinion....but that's what I want to hear. My CL was a firecracker off the line for the first 6 months but I noticed it slowly turned into a dog over time....No help/reason from the dealer's wrench as to why...
Which ever I get, it'll be the 4-door sedan model that I'm interested in.

Was going to get an '04 G35 coupe last year but when I stood on the gas, I swear it sounded like an old Chevy or Mazda brickhouse....REALLY LOUD! I was told that the 4 door has much more engine block insulation that dampens the engine noise quite a bit, but I was so turned off by the coupe I never went back to the dealer. I kind of expected more from Nissan's "luxury" line. Anyway, I'm hoping that's been fixed for the '05 model.

Their price tags (TL vs G35) are similar and both seem to come with the same bells and whistles...What I'm more interested in is torque, power, handling, and just plain old thrill of driving. My drug of choice "IS NOT steering a mode of transportation behind a bunch of coneheads "....it's DRIVING!!! Throwing gears, flooring the gas, and treating my ride the way it was intended to be handled. You know, turning off the engine each time you ride it with a big **** eating grin on your face that tells everyone you're on cloud nine....Every car is the greatest thing on 4 wheels when it's new, but it's the ones that you still enjoy driving from the bedroom to the kitchen and back in the middle of the night a year later that really make you feel like you've got the ultimate machine....

I'd get the BMW 6 Series, ALL BLACK...were it not for the fact that I could have BOTH theTL AND the G35 for the price of the 645ci...oh yeah, back to reality...

So this is the time to shout out all those opinions that everyone else always tells you to keep to yourself. I want to hear them...maybe you'll make me think of something that I haven't already considered....

Thanks guys....

Q

PS: Does anyone know if the brake issue is fixed with 2005 G35?

Old 11-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Re: 2005 Infiniti G35 vs 2005 Acura TL

I own a G but drove my friend's TL up to 100mph. The TL looks good on the outside, though I'm more partial to curvy cars. The TL's interior is extremely nice - better than that of the G. The stereo sounds clearer than the G. The Navi is cool if you like that kind of thing. I really don't care, myself.

As far as driving goes, the G trounces the TL. The TL is very floaty and bumpier than my G's sport suspension. You'll feel smooth, almost constant acceleration in the TL, with very little feel during shifts, while the G's acceleration is more of a brutal, constant hard lurch forward, with the typical, cool RWD "squat" feeling. TL has some torque steer, but it's not bad. Cornering is no contest - the G is awesome, especially with sport suspension.

Sounds like you want a real driver's car. A test drive of both should make up your mind very quickly. They're both nice cars, but have very different personalities. My '04's brakes are outstanding - had trouble with the '03. BMWs are nice, but too expensive and I can't afford to fix them. Plus I really don't like the Bangle look - the new 3 isn't all that bad though.

Oh yeah, DEFINITELY get the 6-speed.

04 Sedan 6MT | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Premium

Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 PM

some reactions:

1 - Acura TL (05) is a great value for a 4 door sedan that offers decent performance. but..BUT it is still a FWD car and even with the various traction control and assisted suspension, a good RWD will handle bettern than a good FWD... making any sense with that?

2 - You asked for power/torgue. this is a no brainer. comparin apples to apples, a 5AT G35 sedan is 280HP & 270lb tq. Acura TL is 270HP and 238 lb tq. throw in a 6MT and you're looking at 298HP, clear winner is G35

3 - looks. both cars have terrific lines, i personally like the TL's overall shape a little more than the G, it just looks more athletic.

4 - Value. The G35 has a longer power train & rust warranty. also their road side assitance is 20K more miles over the acura. Plus i think you can get a G35 to be more personalized to your tastes (ie sport suspension, 19" wheels, spoiler, etc).

any way, those are my opinions. as a former G35 coupe owner, who is looking to get an 05 sedan, i just think the G35 is the best value car on the road at any price.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:43 PM

I should be in a good position to comment. I traded my 03 TLfor this 04 G35X just last month. First, the TL has some gingerbread refinements that the G35 does not, like memory linked to the key fobs, but the things that really matter to a gearhead are all there and then some! Corners flatter, does not 'float' on the highways, can you say TORQUE? Surprisingly, my wife even likes the handling better. I don`t know if the TypeS CL is much different than my TL was or not. I took a pretty good financial hit, but I don`t regret it! The 05 G35 is even better, I understand.

04 G35X, Premium, Wood, DP

Old 11-02-2004, 07:35 PM

The G35 '05's Memory is now linked to the intelligent key fob.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:38 PM

I am privaledged to have both cars...

My mom has the new TL and I have the original, 2003 G35 Sedan.

That statement says a lot. The TL is more tame. The G35 has the more aggressive look exterior and sporty feel inside.

The TL is 100x more luxorious though. From the amazing navigation, that has voice command, to the look and feel of the inside.

When it comes to power, my stock G35 could have whoped the TL. Simply because of the lack of torque and FWD. Although, the TL does have very good handling for a FWD.

Gas mileage is slightly better on the TL (this is with my mom driving). So, in essence, they would be the same with me driving (18 city, 20 hywy).

The G35s ride is not as cushy, but the TL has horrible blind spots. The headrests are too big and the seats are wide...make it hard to turn around and see when reversing.

I hate to say it, but when it comes down to it...if you are looking TL, compare it to the maxima. If you are leaning towards the G35, get it. plain and simple.

when we were shopping around for cars (G35), we looked at the bmw 530, acura TL Type-S (at the time), Audi A4, Toyota Camry(yeah yeah, we were a toyota family before). it took just one test drive in the G35 to make up my mind. for the cost, you don't get that power and "standards" in any other vehicle. by standards i am talking about the 6 disc changer in dash that was still available with navigation added.

Am I jealous of my mom's car? sure...it's the new thing. the navigation is top of the line, but how much will i really need to talk to it? I am more about the power and feel of the car, then the way the side door trim looks.

Another comparison...
My friend has a Grand Prix GTP (the SC one)...and he was more than impressed with the way the G35 cornered. Granted, this is with my new suspension and sway bars, but he said his car didn't even come close. *take what you will from that...could be the TEIN FLEX and Sway bars*

If you have any other questions, PM me...I can give you more details on either car.

*** Mods Update. List Soon To Come ***

Old 11-02-2004, 07:40 PM

I think most people here will say the G35 is more of a drivers car than the TL and that the TL wins hands down on the interior.

As for the "noise" factor, i consider that the best part of the drive hehe... once you get on the engine and makes that loud growl, that gets addictive to me... I'm actually confused that you didn't like the noise but still want something fun to drive... I guess it would still be fun without the "noise" but that noise makes me feel more connected to the car and driving experience... Imagine driving a Ferrari and not wanting to hear it scream hehehe...

anyway, not sure about the sedan but the 2005 Coupe still has the "noise". I don't think its too overpowering but definitely louder than the TL. I'm guessing the sedan is the same. I test drove a TL last year and it was really quiet.

------------
2005 G35 Coupe Auto DG/G
Prem / Nav / Sport / Aero / Splash Guards
Z-Tube / Pop Charger / Clear Corners

Old 11-02-2004, 08:34 PM

Both are great rides. For engine and "umph", go G35. I have an 04 TL and am very happy, but if you need the gutteral roar, get the G. The TL is a ULEV vehicle with much less off the line, but a bit better once up to speed IMHO.

Don't make the mistake of just reading....go for looooong test drives of both.

In reading lots of these posts though, people are making the mistake of referring to the earlier model TLs like they're similar to the new one....they're not. The two cars are night and day. The old TL was nothing more than an Accord on steriods, floated all over the place, and had a ridiculously cheap interior compared to similar cars at the time in that price range. New one is an entirely different monster...anyone who's looked can tell you just that.

Enjoy your hunt!

Old 11-02-2004, 11:12 PM
J_P

Both are attractive, reliable, safe, & fast cars. The G35's new interior is comparable to the TL's. To me, the big difference is the TL is FWD, the handling feels heavy & disconnected.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey q40319799, do u visit acura-cl.com? If you did then you might find, I'm assuming you didnt know, that the IMRC? or actuator "fails" sometimes and that is how the CLS becomes weaker than normal. Check that or have the dealer look/replace it and it should be like new again.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 AM

I echo almost everyone else's comments here. For me, like you, it came down to the Infiniti G35 and Acura TL. Although I liked the interior a bit more of the TL (even though it felt more cramped for some reason), the sports sedan driving feel of the G35 made the difference. The torque steer and lower torque of the FWD Acura TL just reminded me of a faster, nicer Honda Accord, whereas the very smooth but more powerful RWD G35 reminded me I was driving a 4-door 350Z.

So far, my brakes have been nothing but phenomenal...they must have fixed them for '04.5, so that shouldn't be an issue for '05. Also, I have the Navi option (had to have it for my business travels ;-) in my G35 and I find it very acceptable (not quite as good as the voice commands and overall package of the TL, but it works just fine for me and I like the BirdsEye view). Also, I find the interior very nicely appointed in my G35 as well (it has everything I wanted and expected); it appears as if Infiniti made the G35's interior just a little nicer for the '05, but again, if you're going more for the sports sedan feel, then the G35's interior shortcomings aren't a deal breaker; in fact, most or all of the car mags agree the Infiniti G35 is the hands-down winner in a direct comparo with the Acura TL.

In the end, both are great cars ;-)

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 11/03/04 07:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-03-2004, 11:33 AM

I traded my four-month-old '04 TL for my G35 one month ago. I had driven the G earlier, but was put off by the (graphite) interior and step-on (5AT Sedan) parking brake. I traded my 528i (myriad repair issues, obnoxious dealer) for the TL. I allowed the interior, exterior styling, and other bells and whistles to distract me from the driving experience, and drove it off the showroom floor.

Long story short: I missed the rear-drive feel and it's inherent driving dynamics. The TL is VERY MUCH a FWD car and feels nose heavy. It is also strangely springy while providing a somewhat stiff ride. I also have a Saab 9-5 wagon. Its FWD layout is much less apparent, and I find it a much more pleasant ride than the TL.

If you like driving, get the G. It is very BMWesque, with Asian reliability. 'nuff said.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:48 AM

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I traded a 1-year old G35 6spd for an auto TL. I needed an auto because the wife couldn't drive stick and we had a baby on the way. I miss the VQ and the driving experience of the G35, but I do not miss the interior or the stereo. If you are looking for luxury and a pretty fast car, go with the TL. If you are looking for a more spirited driving experience, go with the G.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:16 PM

Kudo's to everyone....

The most informative, non-bashing G35 vs TL thread I have ever read...

I agree, TL for the Luxury-sport, G35 for the sport-luxury. The decision is just where you place your emphasis.

g4ian

Old 11-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

I agree.....this is the most civilized G35 vs TL thread I have ever read also!! Good stuff!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 Infiniti G35 vs 2005 Acura TL