Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

DO NOT ORDER from www.onlinetires.com!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO NOT ORDER from www.onlinetires.com!

I always thought these guys were good. Even threw their name around everytime someone on the forum wanted cheap tires. Wish I could've searched their name on google before dealing with them though. Turns out these guys have really bad feedback everywhere!

So here's my story, I ordered a set of 225/40/19 and 245/40/19 Nankang NS-IIs on Thursday. Just a simple cheapie set. My total for the order was $510 shipped with CA tax. I waited 3 days and I still haven't gotten the tires. Called them on Monday to see what's going on and they told me the Nankangs have been backordered for quite some time. Their website doesn't say anything about that whatsoever.

I'm like okay, I'd like to cancel the order since they haven't charged me anything yet. The original rep encouraged me not to cancel and to speak with their manager (Jonathan). Jonathan was nice, he upgraded me to Hankook V12 Evo K110 for $550 shipped. I gave him the okay to charge me for $55xx and that was that.

When I got home from school last night, I see 2 charges on my statement from onlinetires.com. $55x.xx and $30.xx -- So big WTF, right? I called them this morning and this sales rep named Marlon was telling me Jonathan forgot to charge me tax. I'm like okay, I wasn't told that. Then he went on saying for $580, those are the cheapest you can get 19" tires even if you look around everywhere. Talk about good customer service...

I told him look, the price is not the point. I was told the charge was going to be $550 and not $30 more. It's not my fault that he forgot to calculate tax. I'm sure if this happened to you it would'nt be cool with you. So he finally shut his mouth, realized I wasn't a typical pushover customer. I told him just let me know if you guys can take care of this or not, cause I'll just refuse shipment when the tires get here. I went on about how I wasn't even notified that the original order I placed was on backorder and blah blah blah.

So Marlon told me Jonathan is the only one who can take care of the situation and I'll have to wait for him to call me back (just like he was supposed to email me about the initial order) or I could call back after 4pm.

Anyway, I called back just a couple minutes ago and I was placed on hold for 20 mins before I hung up. I study Network Engineering, so I know that when I call any toll free number, my name and information gets sent to the place I'm calling. I had a feeling these guys were dicking me. They kept picking up the phone every 5 mins to say, "Hold on one second", over and over again. I finally called back and the new guy knew my name right away. He told me to call back after 5pm. Their website says they close at 5pm, so I'm like don't you guys close at 5? He goes no, we're open until 6-7pm.

So that's about it for now. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
-Update

So Jonathan called me back, we talked and he said it was his mistake but he can't credit me any of the $30 because they're gonna lose money

Anyway, I told him I was gonna eat the cost. Just gave him a lesson about not assuming what a customer wants. Even if the total was $5 more, don't just charge it without notifying the customer. I told him from $510 to $580 is a big leap. If I were to spend that much on tires, I would've shelled out more for the Falken FK452s. Bad decision on his part, but still a nice guy to deal with.

He actually called right after I posted this thread and I was telling him about the review I just gave them. He told me the negative reviews are all from the previous management. They brought him in to make things right and it seems that he's on the right path, except for the $30 part.

Overall, would I shop from this place again? Yeah, but I'd only deal with Jonathan cause' he said that he'll give me a good deal on my next order. BTW, if you guys decide to buy from these guys make sure you call to confirm your order. Otherwise, you might end up waiting for nothing just like me.

Edit: A little more details about what we talked about. I asked for the $30 back, he said he couldn't do it. I asked if he would be willing to meet me half way and credit me $15? He said he can't at all. Owners would get mad at him. Then I asked if I could just refuse the shipment and not be charged a restocking fee. He said yeah, he'll waive the restocking fee because it was his mistake, but he'll end up losing $80 from shipping. So I go okay, so what's it gonna be? $30 credit or lose $80 on shipping? LULZ! I did a quick calculation and yeah, homeboy from this morning was right. It couldnt get any cheaper than that for decent 19" tires, so that's when I agreed to eat the difference.

Last edited by stillmatic; 04-21-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.......Jus like my case.......I ordered on Friday night for the exact same set of tires.....and when I called on monday to check on that, they said call us on Tuesday if you dont get an email with the Fedex tracking number. So I called today and a customer rep said, please dont call us, just wait for the email in bout 1-3 days, so we could do our jobs since there is a huge backlog....
Long story short, Jonathan called me, nice guy.....explained the same situation as you have mentioned above....gave me the same Hankook tire option....I told him that I would think about it and get back to him on tat......I was happy with the way Jonathan treated the situation....Might go back to them after I find a better option....

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, Jonathan is a good guy. It's some of the reps that are dumb and rude. A lot of them don't sound like they've had much experience dealing with customers.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Smile Worked for me...

I drive a Chevy Tahoe, not a G35, but registered just to respond to this post. I bought four Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor light truck tires from onlinetires.com just a couple of weeks ago and had zero problems. I got a great price and the tires showed up four days later, sooner than promised. The difference, I think, is that I ordered by phone instead of online, and one of the reasons I did so is because of this original post. I think onlinetires.com is a low-end outfit and that they have not invested enough for real-time integration of their website with their inventory control system (if they even have one). As a result, the site could report stock on hand when it doesn't really exist, and that creates back orders for a company that seems to manage a lot of their business manually. Things then fall through the cracks. When I spoke to the salesman (Marlon) by phone, I asked several times if he was sure the tires I wanted were in stock. He left the phone each time to confirm, suggesting another manual step. And because I ordered by phone, I never received a confirming email - again, suggesting a separate ordering process from the website. So, if you don't mind ordering by phone and dealing with a company using less-than-leading-edge technology, you can get terrific deals here.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
You can get tires for cheaper...just gotta find the right places. So when a company usually says they offer the cheapest prices I would ask them if they would price beat.

I can get those same tires but with Hankook Ventus V12 for about 500-530 bucks. This is no sponsorship type of deal, no back of the truck type of deal, a legit business that has really good pricing.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
You can get tires for cheaper...just gotta find the right places. So when a company usually says they offer the cheapest prices I would ask them if they would price beat.
Everybody wants to claim they can price match or beat prices, but when I show them a truly low price, I always get the answer "we can't do that low"

I used to use that site because they had great prices, but their prices went up the past few years and now you can find cheaper elsewhere.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
That's true...some places won't match. When I was looking for speakers for my previous car, I got quoted $800 for the set I was interested in purchasing. 2 of the places said they won't go below 900, another was stuck at 950...i ended up getting it for even cheaper, much cheaper thanks to a good friend that got me a hook up so I didn't bother looking around anymore.

It seems that most places really won't beat the price, rather they'll match it if anything. At that point it comes down to which one is more convenient and which has better service.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If I were you, I would tell them would you rather loose the shipping AND the credit card fees? Credit card companies charge a 2-3% fee for every transaction. So for your $580 order, they lost about $17.40 in credit card fees. On top of that they would lose the $80 for shipping, and another $17.40 when they credit it back to you. I work for an online company so I know how these things work. You can play that in your favor if you know how, which is what you said but you should have mentioned the extra $40. If they still wouldn't credit you back the $30 I'd call my bank and say it was an unrecognized charge and I never agreed to it (since you didn't). You are totally within your rights to get that $30 back.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Thumbs down I agree -do NOT order from Onlinetires.com

I purchased them last week online , dumb,dumb,dumb I knew I should have ordered from Tire rack or Vulcan. I THOUGHT a little better price and they were shipping from CA that I would get it a day or two early - vs Pennsylvania from Tirerack. I received an email confirming the order, delivery date 8/22 , the money is out of my account. I checked with Fedex- they see the order number but, have not been instructed to come buy. I guarantee I have been screwed out of my money. Now I have to go hunt down tires faster , which is always a pain in the rear and more expensive. Look guys , post problems and bad service..so the rest of us will know..

There service and communication from the Tire Rack simply rocks!!. They also use OnTrac for shipping, faster service and cheaper than fedex

Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I happened to drop by looking for info, and this is definetly an interesting thread. I've purchased three sets of tires from onlinetires.com in the past six months, and had a good experience each time. However, I am local to these guys, and picked up myself. My first set of Michelin's they had to order - two days they said - tires were available in two days. Second set of Michelins they had in stock, dropped in, picked up - done deal! Third set; BF Goodrich for my new truck - no problem, in stock - picked up - no problems. Prices cannot be beat. If you're weary of ordering online, I suggest calling them up - I did, and verified stock each time, and didn't run into any problems. I dealt with a guy named Marlon - good attitude, but it does seem they are always busy, and you may be on hold for a few minutes before than get to you. Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
discounttiredirect.com FTW. No tax, free shipping, great prices.

I always buy from them and get my tires in 2-3 days tops.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM
well at least you didn't end up with the Nankangs....in my opinion they were absolutely terrible.

Doh, just saw the original post date.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
i was going to order some cheap tires from that site just for now.... cuz i been driving with bolded tiresfro quiet some time now. so i just wanna like to get some cheap tires, im selling my car soon so i dont wanna get some expensive ones, anyways if i order u guys think it will happen the same( im in Canada btw)

Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Thumbs down onlinetires.com sucks

I just wish I would have seen this before ordering from them.. Ordered four tires for my wife's Escape, spent the extra $5.00 a tire to get the white letters, after waiting a week and a half, we received one white letter and three blackwalls.. I wouldn't be so pissed off, but I have spent almost three hours of my time on hold trying to get this straight.. Last week, Dan, the salesman said they would send out three of the white letters and then we would send back the others.. after waiting on hold forever, finally they said he would call us back, he called today and left a message, said he sent an email with a RMA to send the tires back.. Are they going to send out the white lettered tire? I guess i have to sit on hold for another hour or so.. Needless to say, my line about why I bought a tire machine and balancer isn't looking so sweet to my wife... she just wants to take it to a tire store and have them do it... thanks onlinetires.com
I really wouldn't have a problem with the wrong tires, it's just the hassle and the inability of someone to call and say, we are sending out the correct tires,and a RMA tag so you can send back the others... Looks like we will be calling VISA tomorrow.. at least they don't put you on hold for an hour...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DO NOT ORDER from www.onlinetires.com!