Washers -VS- Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Washers -VS- Wheel Spacers

Hey there everyone.

I have a small yet large dilemma regarding caliper clearance and wheels. After just recently picking up a set of wheels, mounting them, and attempting to roll them a bit, it was noticed that the car was "stuck" per say. Upon investigating the situation, realized front wheels were hitting my front brake caliper just by a bit, yet enough to keep the wheel from rolling freely.

My question is this, based on my 56 year old neighbors' advice, rather than going with wheel spacers, can't I just put a washer (or two) or a small nut in between the wheel and hub on the studs as opposed to going with wheel spacers?

I am literally needing to clear from 1/3 to 1/2 inch at most. I was told by my neighbor that for such a small clearance requirement, there would be no real justification to dish out all the extra cash for wheel spacers. Instead I should head out to Home Depot and pick up a few thick washers to place onto the studs behind the wheel. What do you guys think; or better yet know? Please keep in mind, it is only a small amount of clearance needed.

I know my neighbor means well and all, but I just want to get the advice from some of you who are quite a bit more savy on such matters than my well-meaning neighbor. After doing some research on the internet regarding this, I came across what I assume is respectable advice. The following link will talk a bit about this idea. Scroll down on the attached page/link and look for the "Brembo" logo and see for yourself on the small paragraph adjacent to the "Brembo" logo.

http://www.performancealloys.com/all...el_spacers.asp

Thanks guys!!!

PS: This is not for my G, but instead for my sister's Toyota Highlander in which she uses for everyday driving to work, grocery store, and to pick up her children from school. So there are little ones involved here and that is why I want to make sure I can assist in getting her to ride as safe as possible.

Thanks again guys!!!

Last edited by ZIG35; 10-06-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could grind some metal off the caliper, that is what a lot of wheel shops do

Old 10-06-2009, 04:38 AM
Damn... That's a great idea!!!

Hey but that wouldn't strongly hinder or damage the overall structual integrity of the caliper would it, putting at risk passangers during evasive, harsh, and emergency manuvering if needed? In other words, it wouldn't weaken the pressure or force bearing capabilities while braking of the caliper by cutting it down some? I would hate to hear that an accident would have been avoidable, but the braking equipment gave out due to tampering. What do you think?

Thanks again!!! Awesome idea indeed!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 AM
Oh yeah... also anyone in SoCal know what wheel shop might be able to do this kind of work?

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 AM
I don’t think it should make a difference in the strength of the caliper

One of my mom’s cars had that issue so they ground the caliper down some and it was fine for as long as she had the car (about 17 years)

Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Hmmmm.... sounds like a good plan all in all then.

Thanks again DJW88.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you need 1/3(~8.5mm)1/2"(~12.5mm) of clearance, then I would absolutely use a spacer as opposed to a washer, along with extended studs. I would not run any spacer larger than 3mm without swapping for extended length wheel studs. A local member has broken wheel studs with 5mm spacers on the stock studs

Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
^ +1

Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 AM
yep anytime

Old 10-07-2009, 04:30 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
spacers are so cheap, just pick up a set.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by ZIG35
Scroll down on the attached page/link and look for the "Brembo" logo and see for yourself on the small paragraph adjacent to the "Brembo" logo.

http://www.performancealloys.com/all...el_spacers.asp
Read that paragraph carefully. They are not saying to use washers instead of spacers. They are saying to use washers to figure out what size spacer to get!

"If you are fitting alloy wheel spacers to ensure clearance from upgraded or larger brake callipers such as Brembo, we recommend that you use washers on your studs (if your car has studs) to SIMULATE the thickness of the spacer you require.

When you have enough washers to SIMULATE the calliper clearance you require, measure the thickness of these washers as this will be a guide as to the thickness of the wheel spacer you require. "

Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All I can say is...DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS...DO NOT BANDAID the situation...It will only lead to problems down the line...do it once do it right...Buy a spacer do not use washers or grind your caliper...

Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Buy the spacer. It's a better idea and safer all around, especially since you need up to 1/2 inch in additional clearance.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TwilightBlue
Buy the spacer. It's a better idea and safer all around, especially since you need up to 1/2 inch in additional clearance.
Personally I would not use spacers to clear brakes, instead I would go with a different set of wheels. I would never 'grind a caliper' unless you really know what you are doing and have the ability to heat treat it afterwards. I would definately not use washers beyond figuring out the size of wheel spacers.

So it comes down to the determination of keeping the wheels. If you keep them then the spacers are the way to go, simply the safer method of the three.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^^agreed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Washers -VS- Wheel Spacers