General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

horn wont stop honking...

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horn wont stop honking...

I drove my car through a deep puddle of rain this morning. When I got home and parked my car, turned the engine off, my horn started to honked on itself a couple of times, and then it just went crazy on itself. I did unlock/lock from my controller and it still won't shut off. I just disconnected my batter, both positive and negative. When I connected the battery, after waiting for 5 minutes, it still went off crazy on itself. Can anyone help!?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice is to find the fuse for the horn and disconnect for now - unless other electrical parts share this same fuse. If so - then disconnect the wire to the horn and troubleshoot.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol that must be annoying... does it happen when u drive?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Premier Member

lol my horn wont ******* honk. haha

Old 11-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Your horns are malfunctioning. You can disconnect them to get them to stop. They are located on the front of your radiator and are connected by snap harnesses for the plug-ins. If you're still under warranty, then you can take it to the dealer and have them replaced. If not, just order new ones online for $50 and install them yourself.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xxvietside
I drove my car through a deep puddle of rain this morning. When I got home and parked my car, turned the engine off, my horn started to honked on itself a couple of times, and then it just went crazy on itself. I did unlock/lock from my controller and it still won't shut off. I just disconnected my batter, both positive and negative. When I connected the battery, after waiting for 5 minutes, it still went off crazy on itself. Can anyone help!?
It sounds like you have a horn relay that fused its load connection. Depending on year you may have two horn relays. Pull one at a time if you have two and see if the horn(s) stop blowing. If it doesn't then reverse the two relays to see if you can transfer the one blowing to the other. If this occurs replace the bad relay.

Alternately if you only have one relay (haven't checked to see what years if any this may be) then pull the relay and see if the noise stops. If so then you may be able to borrow another relay (on my 08 many of the relays are the same) from a non-critical item and perform the same test.

What would bother me is that usually the relay will fuse contacts only when energized so this could point to another problem that you should be looking at closely. Again maybe depends on the year but for an 08 for example the output of the IPDM is what feeds the horn relays (on an 05 you have only one relay). On some Infinitis the IPDM has been known for lack of better words to become water logged. If this has occurred it may be recoverable if you figure out the problem early.

Basically the wiring is as follows: One side of a horn relay coil is connected to the positive side of the battery through a fuse. The other side is then connected to both the IPDM and to the horn switch (through the combination switch spiral cable) which takes the coil to ground which powers up the relay. The energized coil then sucks in the contacts which powers the horn. This assumes a typical relay rather than a solid state relay (it is referenced as a conventional relay). This allows either a signal to the IPDM or the horn switch to energize the horns.

As you probably can see your horn switch and how it connects to the horn relay(s) is pretty much inside the car so your mud puddle probably didn't affect either one. This then tends to point to the relay(s) becoming grounded or the IPDM got wet.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
you may want to invest in some earplugs til you can get them fixed

Old 11-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Make sure it's not your factory security system first. Reconnect the battery and stick your key in the driver's side outer door lock and turn the key. If that doesn't fix the problem, I suggest you follow pfarmer's troubleshooting instructions to try and narrow the problem. Electrical damage due to water can be a HUGE PITA to diagnose. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:35 AM
You can disconnect them to get them to stop. They are located on the front of your radiator and are connected by snap harnesses for the plug If you're still under warranty, then you can take it to the dealer and have them replaced.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by SaintRedRocket
Your horns are malfunctioning. You can disconnect them to get them to stop. They are located on the front of your radiator and are connected by snap harnesses for the plug-ins. If you're still under warranty, then you can take it to the dealer and have them replaced. If not, just order new ones online for $50 and install them yourself.
Originally Posted by gatzze
You can disconnect them to get them to stop. They are located on the front of your radiator and are connected by snap harnesses for the plug If you're still under warranty, then you can take it to the dealer and have them replaced.
Copy Pasta?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Haha, this is hilarious. Reminds me of my GTI days way back in high school... I would get called into the office at least three days a week around 1:00PM because my horn would be honking at the maintenance people... Huge PITA. I just disconnected my horn all together.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
hey OP did you ever get this resolved?

Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 AM
File a safety report

Anyone having this problem, please file a safety report at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. I have the same problem. Happened to me three times and yet I'm the only one the filed a report. The horns blasted long enough to burn out. Let's force a recall.