G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clutch Pedal sticking

Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Clutch Pedal sticking

Before I start, I have already searched so before you bash, please read first.

A few days ago, I noticed my clutch pedal would stick about 20% from being all the way up and I would have to use my foot to pull the pedal back up. I brought it to the dealer today since my warranty is running out at the end of the month and they tell me its because of my clutch disk being worn.

For some background info, I used to work at a Honda dealership and I've driven many manual transmission cars with worn clutches before. Never before have I ever seen a sticking clutch pedal as any type of symptom for a worn out clutch disk.

What I'm asking for is for anyone who've experienced this problem and had it repaired at the dealer, can you please post:

1) Year and model of the vehicle
2) Approximate mileage of the vehicle when the problem occurred and was repaired
3) What type of repair your dealership performed
4) which dealership performed the repairs
5) And finally, if this repair actually fixed your concern

I appreciate any help as I am going to be picking up the vehicle tomorrow and would like to bring something in when I show up to confront them tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some members have issues with clutch peddle sticking and solve it by flushing/bleeding the clutch fluid. The fluid gets dirty and absorbs moisture. Many of them said it helps and solved their problem. I just had my drained and filled at the dealership for $73 because my clutch was sticking last summer (mostly on hot days). The clutch feels much better now. Hopefully I won't see that problem this summer.

There is a DYI out there that show you how to do it, but you need a 2 people to do it.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but give this a shot first.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
It actually isnt the clutch fluid, its the shaft that the clutch pedal sits on, the OEM grease on the clutch pedal gets gummed up when it heats up and starts to stick. You need to clean the shaft with carb or brake cleaner then lube up the shaft with lithium grease, actuate the pedal, lube it up, actuate, lube to make sure the grease seeps in

Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I already tried cleaning and lubing the hinges around the clutch pedal but it still didn't take care of the problem. It only occurred once for me and that was when I was driving for an extended period of time in stop and go traffic, lots of shifting.

I've heard about flushing the lines and may be leaning towards replacing the lines with SS lines but I wanted to know what other dealers were doing to remedy this problem seeing as how my warranty is up at the end of the month and if it does turn out to be the Master and/or the slave cylinder, then I don't want to get shafted

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (12-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
A co-worker who bought an 07 6mt brand new 3 years ago had this problem. It's not the fluid. People have been reporting this problem for quite some time. I think there is a TSB on it. Not sure though.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this problem with my 05. Its pretty bad too, like any stop and go traffic (which is every day since I live in the city) will cause the same sticking you are talking about. I thought it was because my clutch is aftermarket (ACT) and I've learned to live with it. It still pisses me off though. I'm bringing the car to the dealership sometime this week to get my new engine installed so i will bring it up to them while i'm there. Oh yeah, I tried changing the fluid and it helped a little, but the problem came back pretty quickly.

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (12-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 07 is at the dealer for this exact problem right now, plus the drivers seat TSB. I got the car in last summer and no issues but in the winter the clutch basically stayed on the floor when I started the car. I've been pulling it up with my toe ever since. Temps seem to affect it. The service guy said they wernt sure what the issue was but it did feel 'weird' and they were putting a new clutch cylinder in.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
The key is lithium grease....its resistant to higher temps, dont use wd-40

Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Might be you master cylinder. I know you have but search again. I'm too lazy to look it up for you. Sorry. Got a good buzz going

Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
If this is happening in stop and go traffic or after long idling (basically heat situations), here's the thread you need
https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...l-problem.html

Read that and watch the video in that post (http://rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html).

I fixed my Maxima (70k miles) and G (20k miles) limp pedal problem for about $10 and a trip to walmart. Syringe out old fluid, put in DOT4 synthetic (much better heat tolerance than OEM DOT3), problem solved. I thought this was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard until I read about so many people fixing this problem with this incredibly simple method. I didn't do any of the 2 person bleeding that some people do. Just did it myself with several syringe sessions over a few weeks. Ran solid all summer long with no more worrying about stop and go traffic. I theorize that many who've had their master or slave cylinder replaced were really only fixed for awhile because of having new fluid in the process. That obviously doesn't encompass everyone, but it's my theory.

Last edited by SiouxFallsG35; 03-22-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
So we use Brake fluid as our clutch fluid? Or do we use Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The FSM would specify DOT3 which is brake fluid. DOT4 (synthetic preferably) mixes with DOT3 and exceeds all DOT3 tolerance levels. I have no idea why car makers continue to spec cars with DOT3 when DOT4 costs .02 more.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by urkaput
My 07 is at the dealer for this exact problem right now, plus the drivers seat TSB. I got the car in last summer and no issues but in the winter the clutch basically stayed on the floor when I started the car. I've been pulling it up with my toe ever since. Temps seem to affect it. The service guy said they wernt sure what the issue was but it did feel 'weird' and they were putting a new clutch cylinder in.
Yea I suspect its a problem with one of the clutch cylinders. My big gripe is that while it may not be as definitive now, by the time that it does, my warranty will be up.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 PM
And thanks for the other tips guys. If this doesn't work out and the cylinders don't get replaced, I'm gonna flush the fluid and probably replace the line with an SS line

Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I had this issue twice with my last Z in 125K miles. Every once in a while I was pulling the clutch pedal off the floor, at 80 MPH on LA freeways that's scary. The fix twice was replacing the clutch cylinder, the plunger inside wears out and allows fluid to pass making your pedal hang up. Stupid service people at Infiniti don't have a clue what causes most issues, that alone is scary when you pay major $ for a vehicle.... The Nissan service techs always knew what the fix was with my Z cause they're better trained!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 03-23-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal sticking