Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ugh!! Ice Clay bar marred my paint. Help!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Ugh!! Ice Clay bar marred my paint. Help!

I have a 08 G35 sport sedan that I purchased new with black exterior. I always tried to baby the finish by washing it myself with microfiber towels along with other steps. Despite my attempts to prevent swirl marks, it still managed to develop swirl marks after a year. Also, I notice if I run my hand across the front bumper it feels like sandpaper. My assessment is that Infiniti has the most disappointing paint quality of all the vehicles I have ever owned. The paint is too soft - a gnat can fly into the paint and after cleaning will leave a dimple/scratch, etc. Also, notice that even new, the orange peel reflection is far worse than other makes. Anyway, I made my paint worse when I clayed my car with Turtle Wax Ice Clay Kit not to long ago. Didn't think clay could damage paint, but it can. Apparently, I applied to much pressure in trying to get an old bird dropping outline out and it marred my paint. Anyone know how I can eliminate the marring and swirl marks. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Pics?

My first instinct is to tell you to try a mild rubbing compound like Scratch-X. Don't apply too much pressure or you could do more damage than good.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar is known to cause some basic marring to paint...it is abrasive...can absolutely do that. I'm personally not a big fan of Scratch-X, but it willl require some work with a light to medium polish(depending on how much pressure you put!).

Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Yes clay baring and liquid clay baring WILL or MAY cause marring depending the on the grade of the clay bar and how much lube you used. Thats why the rule is AFTER you clay bar to finish up with polish to Remove the marring the clay bar caused.

Polishing once a year IF that will keep your swirls marks away! and Good washing methods. Clean wash mit and towels and good wash soap..

Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always polish after using a clay bar. My thinking is that when clay barring you're working to get a clean surface to polish, seal then wax.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I've been using clay bars for almost 10 years and have never damaged my painted surface. You do need to use lots of detail spray/water when claying your car and applying minimal pressure is advisable. Clay is designed to remove the fine surface krud in preparation for cleaner then wax. If you really care about what your G35 looks like and hate swirls as much as I do look into a Griot's kit www.griotsgarage.com Their kit contains everything you'll ever need to keep your G looking better than new....along with a vid to show you how. Check it out....
Gary

Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I've been using clay bars for almost 10 years and have never damaged my painted surface. You do need to use lots of detail spray/water when claying your car and applying minimal pressure is advisable. Clay is designed to remove the fine surface krud in preparation for cleaner then wax. If you really care about what your G35 looks like and hate swirls as much as I do look into a Griot's kit www.griotsgarage.com Their kit contains everything you'll ever need to keep your G looking better than new....along with a vid to show you how. Check it out....
Gary
^WHS +1; well put Gary.
also, I use ONR for my detailing spray & mix a stronger solution for claying. (lubricates better)
You don't use clay like sand paper, just pass over with VERY light pressure.
Use just enough pressure to keep the clay from falling out of your hand.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I find it best to use clay during a car wash.. When the car is all soapy and sudsy I clay bar the car and after rinse all soap away and dry now you have a perfectly smooth car and didn't waste 2 bottle of quick detail doing it. Plus the soap I use is extra slick so it works as great lube better than QD IMO for clay bar job.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
You don't use clay like sand paper, just pass over with VERY light pressure.
Use just enough pressure to keep the clay from falling out of your hand.
Yes! Use only very light pressure to allow the clay to drag out the impurities. It should never be used to scrub out stains and blemishes. A medium or fine grade polishing compound and a Porter Cable or similar should be used for that.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I just used meguiars yellow clay bar this morning on a car that really needed it. After I was done I also saw it induced a significant amount of swirls which is why I will follow up with a polish.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Followup: Tried to post pics, but they are too large in memory for this site. Now that I realize that I used to much pressure and not enough lube and left marring, hazing, and micro swirl marks, I am ready to try to fix the paint. Somebody on another forum indicated that a compound or fine polish should work on my soft black paint. Any suggestions on products and equipment (compound, polish, DA, orbital buffer, etc). Thanks!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Tons and tons of info on this forum that answers all those questions already! just browse this detailing section.. All that has been answered and talked about.

Clay CAN cause light marring and swirling! Which is why you follow up with a polish!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Clearkote's vanilla moose glaze. But there's no one product for the job. Check out the detailing win-forum here.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Gary
....^....ce3po I already answered your question in the above post....^....!
Originally Posted by ce3po
Followup: Tried to post pics, but they are too large in memory for this site. Now that I realize that I used to much pressure and not enough lube and left marring, hazing, and micro swirl marks, I am ready to try to fix the paint. Somebody on another forum indicated that a compound or fine polish should work on my soft black paint. Any suggestions on products and equipment (compound, polish, DA, orbital buffer, etc). Thanks!!!
Gary

Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ce3po
Your best bet is to invest in a quality buffer. Something like this Porter Cable Package would get you everything you need to properly polish your paint. I'd recommend reading this article on how to polish with M105 / M205 to help too.

Another option is to go with the Menzerna polishes, which tend to work great as well.

If your paint is swirled and marred, get yourself a good buffer and do some reading on how to properly polish. It's the only way to effectively fix the damage caused.