Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

random polishing questions

Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
random polishing questions

i recently did my first polish on my black G as a one step process with menzerna PO106FA on a white pad and a PC. my technique still needs a lot of work but i found i was left with some residual swirls and ? oxidation marks.

On my next attempt I think I will try a more aggressive polish first. I've been reading good things about the meg products.

Can I use meg 105 with an orange pad and follow up with the PO106FA/white pad ? i havent read about anyone using that combination - most of you are finishing with M205. i ask this since I already have the stuff and can avoid having to buy another product.

also for the more aggressive polish i would prefer to use something that does not require a tremendous amount of work time - how does M105 compare to something like SIP in terms of work time?

thanks

Old 11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I use Meguiar's on my car. a small demo you can check out and you can click on the other videos to learn how to get those swirls out.

hope this helps!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^ In addition Swirl X from Megs is some decent stuff as well. Good luck op, post some before and after pics if at all possible.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:30 PM
when was the last time you clay your car. you might as well do a full detail.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 PM
thanks for the input, guys.
that ultimate compound video seems almost unreal. is it a glaze or a cutting polish?

i clayed with my last detail about 6 weeks ago. a couple of the issues with my technique and which i'm sure will get better with practice, is getting just right the amount of product to use, and the amount of pressure to use and work time. my results were not up to par in part because my first attempt at polishing involved a lot of experimentation...

anyone use M105 followed by PO106FA to finish? i'd like to know whether or not I'd also have to have on hand M205 as well or if the menzerna finisher can adequately follow M105.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitinewbie
thanks for the input, guys.
that ultimate compound video seems almost unreal. is it a glaze or a cutting polish?

i clayed with my last detail about 6 weeks ago. a couple of the issues with my technique and which i'm sure will get better with practice, is getting just right the amount of product to use, and the amount of pressure to use and work time. my results were not up to par in part because my first attempt at polishing involved a lot of experimentation...

anyone use M105 followed by PO106FA to finish? i'd like to know whether or not I'd also have to have on hand M205 as well or if the menzerna finisher can adequately follow M105.
If you're able to work M105 in properly and can finish it down like it is designed to then you probably won't have any problems going to PO106FA on a white pad to finish. M205 is just a finishing polish like PO106FA, but most people buy the polishes together since they work similarly.

M105 is a non-diminishing abrasive polish that relies on speed and pressure, good technique and properly priming the pad for optimal results. As you let up on the pressure the polish can finish down finer and finer. You want to start with more pressure for deeper cutting action to remove more imperfections and on your last couple passes for your work area, lighten up on the pressure. I'd suggest reading this M105 article.

Menzerna is almost the opposite as it's a diminishing abrasive polish. As you polish the abrasives get smaller and smaller. If you don't completely work the polish in, then you'll be stopping while the abrasive particles are larger and can leave behind some hazing / marring. The goal is to continue to work it in further and further so that the abrasive particles are as small as they will get. You want to keep using a fresh pad with Menzerna particles and swap it out for a new one much sooner than w/ the Meguiar's polishes.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Don't worry dude! It looks like your using meguiar's product. You'll be fine.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 PM
George...really interesting info about differences between Megs and Menzerna...never knew this, but sort of explains I think why I like Menzerna...

Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
The oxidation marks you see might be residual polish. M105 in particular can flash on and be REALLY difficult to remove. I'm talking about 30 seconds of scrubbing with rubbing alcohol and no luck at getting it off.

M205 removes it very nicely though

I bought a LED flashlight ( Coastal LED T7 in particular ) to mimic sunlight, so I can detail in my garage, and check my work to see what's going on.

If your scratches are bad enough, as mine were, the Orange pad isn't going to give you enough cutting power. You'll need Yellow, or use the Surbuf.