G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Hit garage door frame backing out! Oopsies!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit garage door frame backing out! Oopsies!

While I was backing out of my garage I turned the wheel too soon and crunched the fender and a little bit of the bumper. Was in a hurry and shame on me I know. What can I say? I made a mistake but nevertheless it's finally time to fix it. Just sick of driving around with the damage.

I've found some posts on removing the bumper: https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-int...r-removal.html
Haven't seen any on removing the fender?

I would like to attempt to make the replacement of both peices myself as the local repair shops' estimates are steep: $1432.66, $1055.14, and $1222.79. I've found both the bumper and fender for $820 painted and shipped to my door. One concern is paint not matching four years of fading. Is it a huge mistake to buy from an out of state salvage yard and have them paint the parts?

Here are some photos of the carnage:
Hit garage door frame backing out! Oopsies!-g-fender.jpg

Hit garage door frame backing out! Oopsies!-g-fender2.jpg

Hit garage door frame backing out! Oopsies!-g-fender3.jpg

Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had damage on my car very similar to yours. Someone had hit it while parked. My car is currently at a body shop getting fixed for $620. For that price they are taking all the dents out of the fender, taking scratches out of the bumper and repainting both the bumper and fender. The painting work will need a bit of blending to match the surrounding areas. I think you should shop around more for better quotes. $620 was the lowest I was quoted and the others were close to a $1000 or more. I live in San Diego. If you haven't, you should go on yelp.com and look up body shops near your area and go to the ones with highest ratings for quotes.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Eclipse2G35
I had damage on my car very similar to yours. Someone had hit it while parked. My car is currently at a body shop getting fixed for $620. For that price they are taking all the dents out of the fender, taking scratches out of the bumper and repainting both the bumper and fender. The painting work will need a bit of blending to match the surrounding areas. I think you should shop around more for better quotes. $620 was the lowest I was quoted and the others were close to a $1000 or more. I live in San Diego. If you haven't, you should go on yelp.com and look up body shops near your area and go to the ones with highest ratings for quotes.
If i had to write a reply to the OP, mine would be WORD FOR WORD what you wrote. Except, replace $620 with $500. I just dropped mine off today, same damage except the bumper had more scratches. I'll get it back Sunday.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by 2k7G35S
If i had to write a reply to the OP, mine would be WORD FOR WORD what you wrote. Except, replace $620 with $500. I just dropped mine off today, same damage except the bumper had more scratches. I'll get it back Sunday.
Very good price.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
It depends on the damage; if the OP ripped the bumper off the screws (because he backed out and possibly hit the bumper near the tire well), the bumper has to be replaced and cannot be repaired. The bumper alone is around $300 for the part. The dent can be easily taken out from the fender, but it will also cost around $400 for repaint, and color matching. I would prefer them to blend it in to the surrounding panels so the colors match better. The bumper does look deformed already, because you can see it popping out from the top of the driver's side headlight. Repainting a bumper that has been scratched is too easy, but repairing a bumper that's been deformed is too difficult. Even if it managed to stay on the car, it will warp around the edges. I was rear ended with my Lexus ES 350, and the bumper around the edges are warped even after repaint. In the summer, when it is hot outside, the warp gets even worse.

I would estimate the damage around $800-900 without even replacing the bumper. Tack on another 300 for a new bumper, if needed.

If your body shop fixed all of OP's damage for $500, be prepared that it won't look as good as new.

Even if you see how they fixed the dent in the bumper, you can see the warp at the end of the video.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-04-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies y'all.

Since I am temporarily unemployed, I have a lot of spare time, I am looking for something to do. This repair will be a challenge for me but I expect to learn a lot from it. Thankfully one of my friends has offered to lend a hand if I get stuck. His trade is boats, not cars, however.

I'm glad the headlight survived unscathed. The bumper isn't that messed up but it definitely bowed a little in the conjoining areas around the headlight.

$490 is the price I was quoted for the bumper and fender. $330 for the paint work.

Anyone know where I can find instructions for the fender removal?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun006
Thanks for the replies y'all.

Since I am temporarily unemployed, I have a lot of spare time, I am looking for something to do. This repair will be a challenge for me but I expect to learn a lot from it. Thankfully one of my friends has offered to lend a hand if I get stuck. His trade is boats, not cars, however.

I'm glad the headlight survived unscathed. The bumper isn't that messed up but it definitely bowed a little in the conjoining areas around the headlight.

$490 is the price I was quoted for the bumper and fender. $330 for the paint work.

Anyone know where I can find instructions for the fender removal?
Good luck with everything! Just don't let your car sit in the heat for too long, it may warp the bumper even more =/. It happened to my car and it made it look obvious that it's been in an accident, even though it was repaired and repainted. It didn't sit flush with the quarter panels. Thank god your headlight survived, usually those things cost around 1000 just for the part, and then maybe you might have to worry about the ballast going bad =(.

Were your headlights level after the accident? If they weren't, that's a sign that you may have bent the headlight housing.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-05-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
yikes! hope things work out!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I removed my front fender just to fix the shoddy alignment from the factory of my front door. It's not difficult at all, and I didn't have any kind of guidance on how to do it. But you'll see once you remove the bumper, it'll give you access to the hidden bolts for the fender. Basically remove items in the order I outline below from what I remember:

Remove bumper
Remove brace underneath headlight
Remove headlight, this gives access to a couple other hidden bolts
Remove the hood seal on the fender, the clips that hold the seal on the front part of the fender will break, so get a few replacement clips prior.
Remove wheel well splash guard, and mudguard, there is also a bolt underneath the side sills that the mudguard overlaps so get a few clips for the sill as you will need to pop at least the front portion of it off and the clips may break.
There are a couple hard to access bolts where it meets that a-pillar and door so look for those in addition to the visible bolts as well.
That should be it pretty much. Be careful as the fender is super thin and can bend easily.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's one of the photos I took of the process with some tips that I wrote on it:

Name:  fenderremovedtutorial.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  110.4 KB

Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I received the bumper and fender yesterday. Guess what! They sent me the wrong bumper! I think it came from a 2010 model and my car is a 2007. Obviously my grill won't fit on the newer bumper and I do not care to try to do a conversion. Hopefully Advantage Auto Mart in Grand Prairie, TX will fix their mistake. Stay tuned...

Thanks for the pic of the fender removed. That should help a lot InfinitJazz!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
That video was awesome. Good to know that a hair dryer can work on cars like that.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
What a nightmare this has become. No, I haven't even started the repair project. The incompetent people at Advantage Auto Mart in Grand Prairie, TX have sent me the wrong bumper cover, TWICE!! First they sent me a bumper from a 2008 G37s coupe. I had to take photos of what they shipped to me and point out the differences to them. Okay, so no big deal, they admitted their mistake (sort of) and promised to send me another bumper. They called FedEX and took care of the shipping to get it back to them. Two weeks later I receive the replacement bumper which is from a 2007 G35 Journey! I couldn't believe it, they screwed up again. So I called the salesman, Joe, and he told me that he, "was tired of dealing with this. Everytime they send me something there is a problem. I never told him it was a sport, and the sport bumper costs twice as much. They've spent over $300 on paint for these parts!"
I told him that it's not my fault they keep painting the wrong thing. I pointed out to him in the email confirmation of my order, "G35s front bumper with wider center hole."
He said for me to send it back to him, but he would not be paying for the shipping and hung up on me.
I decided to let him cool off for awhile and called him the next day. Left a voice mail but have not heard back from him or anyone at Advantage Auto Mart. I've sent an email as well to Advantage Auto Mart explaining the issue and they have not replied. I don't want to ship the bumper back to them because they charge a 25% restocking fee. They didn't tell me what my refund would be, and I'm not sure they will give me anything back as they have already charged my debit card. I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I live in Georgia. I don't want a Journey Bumper, no offense to those on the forum with that style. I have been documenting my conversations and attempts to reach them. Figure they will try to screw me and make something my fault. Chalk it up to doing business on the internet. Who else hates getting ripped off? I should have just paid the extra money for a body shop to do the whole thing. Crap.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Do a chargeback on the card. Explain the reason to your c/c company. Or call and threaten a lawyer even if its in a voicemail. You paid for a certain product if they cant get it right then they cant just take your money and refuse to deal with you. Make sure you have documentation saying what you ordered though not what you discussed over the phone.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow lol.... Are they blind, so what you going to do now?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hit garage door frame backing out! Oopsies!