Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Carwash and now my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on...

Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carwash and now my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on...

Went through the car wash yesterday and shortly after my SES light came on and my idle was rough for a few minutes. The light would stay on and then blink every few minutes...Now that I have driven it for a little while the light is just staying on and not blinking at all.

I am assuming the undercarriage wash hit some type of sensor....

Should I drive a few days and see if it turns itself off?

How do I reset the computer?

Car seems to drive perfect and idle perfect....other than the rough idle right after the wash for a few minutes...

thoughts???

Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2 things, go to autozone or something and see what the code is for then maybe we can give you a little more help.
and 2, for future reference, when the SES light blinks that means pull over shut it off and call for a tow. You destroying your cats and in some cases your engine when it blinks. Means engine is ignition misfiring very badly. Thus dumping fuel into exhaust (destroying cats) and depending on what else is going on, a bad misfire can damage engine (depending on how the misfire is occurring.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Shakuya88
2 things, go to autozone or something and see what the code is for then maybe we can give you a little more help.
and 2, for future reference, when the SES light blinks that means pull over shut it off and call for a tow. You destroying your cats and in some cases your engine when it blinks. Means engine is ignition misfiring very badly. Thus dumping fuel into exhaust (destroying cats) and depending on what else is going on, a bad misfire can damage engine (depending on how the misfire is occurring.
Ok...I did the ECU reset as my light was no longer blinking intermittently and just stayed on. It came back on today after probably 200-300 miles.

Car runs perfect.

I reset the ECU again...will I still be able to pull codes or do I need to wait until the light comes on again?

I am assuming my 02 sensors or my cats are bad...

Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
To get a code, the light most likely will need to be on.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Sounds like a coinky-dink.
I bet an O2 sensor is just ready to be changed.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tim@Grubbs
Sounds like a coinky-dink.
I bet an O2 sensor is just ready to be changed.
having done 02 sensors on other cars, how tough are these to change on the G coupe? They seize up normally in the exhaust...my car has 97K on the odo and is in a salt/bad weather state...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
They aren't that bad. Much easier once the cats are off the car, but the design of the heat shields keeps them from rusting out like other vehicles.

Did you get your fault code read? No sense in doing O2 sensors yet if you aren't sure of the code.

I've heard of water getting into intakes and causing MAF sensor issues (not common). I've also heard of people having water seep down through the rubber boot behind the battery in the engine bay. It can drip down and get the ECU wet but you might not see water inside the car (even though it could be there).

Make sure you get the fault code read and let us know what it is.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
They aren't that bad. Much easier once the cats are off the car, but the design of the heat shields keeps them from rusting out like other vehicles.

Did you get your fault code read? No sense in doing O2 sensors yet if you aren't sure of the code.

I've heard of water getting into intakes and causing MAF sensor issues (not common). I've also heard of people having water seep down through the rubber boot behind the battery in the engine bay. It can drip down and get the ECU wet but you might not see water inside the car (even though it could be there).

will do...gotta wait a few miles until it comes back on again...i think water got in my intake from the wash as they power wased my grill area before it went through...

Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley

Oh ****. You just reminded me of something. If the IPDM (Intelligent Power distribution Module) gets wet, it can cause ALL kinds of weird things. I had starting and idling issues, weird light issues, VDC SLIP ABS lights on, half the gauges don't work and It set a code for my throttle relay. It dried off, cleared the codes, and everything was fine. A friend had his get wet, and all he had was an idle issue. Depending on how wet, depends on the issues. So I'd give that a check to see if it's wet, (Under battery cover, behind battery) If it's dry and the code doesn't come back on....your good