Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY Nissan Murano spark plug tube seals

Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
DIY Nissan Murano spark plug tube seals

This took me about 7 hours. "Hey Mother!! Where is my $1200 for today because that's how much an ASE mechanic would charge." Because I'm a Texan who was born in Connecticut, I could of been at my ranch in Crawford, where I spent 40% out of my time in office and I watched Carlito's Way over 800 times. OR I could of been at Yale having a threesome with 2 hot Latino women. I always thought a threesome was 3 people plus yourself.

Anyway, this works and there seems to be no vacuum leak and the SES light has been staying off since I started the car, going on 25min now and I also drove it. Also idle is consistent without any drops or surges so it means there is no vacuum leak.

It appears at least so far that the spark plug tube seals are sealing. I would thank R&D Factory for the seals since they are smarter than I am at figuring out part numbers but I'll hold off on that SINCE THEY DIDN'T MAKE THEM. I'm sure they appreciate the extra $40 I paid them for the seals THEY DIDN'T MAKE.

Last edited by Andrei; 02-23-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
UPDATE: For anyone doing this cut around the pcv valve cam lobe surface. Do not remove the cam lobe surface around the pcv valve. It will smoke on engine start up. Does not burn enough to see oil level dropping.

Or install an oil catch can with 5/16 hoses and plug the oil level reading holes on the catch can. It wont smoke.

So far it's holding up with no vacuum leak. Even though it's too early to tell I am sure this will hold just as long as new valve covers.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Also do not remove the cam lobe surface that is around the breather tube that sticks out of the motor oil filling valve cover. The tube connects with a hose to the air intake box. A T fitting can be used for the PCV valve and the breather to have them both connected to a catch can.

This is the breather tube.

Last edited by Andrei; 02-23-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Very nice!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
why so many pictures?... soooo many that I didnt even read the thread - just posted here about why so many damn pics?... I've noticed that about a lot of your threads...good thing I'm not on my android right now, there's no way it would load.

Just an idea - post less pics (only relevant is necessary, and trust me - the number of pics you post can't possibly all be relevant)... I was interested in the thread topic - but once I saw all the pics my only interest was posting this.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
im not even really sure whats going on here... did you have leaky valve covers and replaced all the seals or what? sorry im so confused just need clarity is all

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
UPDATE. I gave up my catch can and installed it on the car and smoking at start up is gone. Also I found no oil in the intake where the breather tube connects so the cam lobe surface on the oil filling valve cover can be removed entirely. I would leave the cam lobe surface around the PCV valve if no catch can will be installed. In the pic the catch can is venting to atmosphere and the vacuum port on the plenum is capped off with a vacuum cap.

So far no oil leaks in the spark plug tubes and no vacuum leak. Also for anyone interested the VR38DETT, VH45DE and VK50VE and VK56VE all have spark plug tube seals that can be replaced but there is no part number listed. Knowing Nissan they are the same seals as on a VQ35DE/HR/VHR valve cover.

Originally Posted by OCG35
why so many pictures?... soooo many that I didnt even read the thread - just posted here about why so many damn pics?... I've noticed that about a lot of your threads...good thing I'm not on my android right now, there's no way it would load.

Just an idea - post less pics (only relevant is necessary, and trust me - the number of pics you post can't possibly all be relevant)... I was interested in the thread topic - but once I saw all the pics my only interest was posting this.
People on my350z love all my DIY threads. I get constant PMs thanking me for posting them and the pics.
Originally Posted by gdriver2010
im not even really sure whats going on here... did you have leaky valve covers and replaced all the seals or what? sorry im so confused just need clarity is all
If you're unsure you probably shouldn't be doing this anyway. I know that might be harsh to say that to you but it's the truth.
But yes I replaced the seals and gaskets.

Last edited by Andrei; 02-27-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ DIY is one thing... pictures of course help.

But 50 of them is overkill and clogs you're own thread. Plain and simple.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
so why exactly did you remove the baffling for the pcv system? and you just changed out the seals? with oem ones? care to share lol? i appreciate all the pix, although it wouldnt hurt to add some notes between them showing what you did/are doing if its something specific other than the obvious showing cracked gaskets and parts removed bla bla bla. but good job. i got one of those CCs that i need to sell. lol

Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 AM
I removed the cam lobe surface so I can remove the seals and install new ones. BTW you tell those bastards at Infiniti to hire me NOW at Infiniti of Gwinnett. I have a lot I could contribute. Plus, I hear the M56 is quite a car with a lot to offer.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
You from the New Haven area 203????

Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
indeed it is lol. cant wait to see them modded. and if i could i would, but im at bradsahw infiniti in greenville, sc.....not in GA. lol

Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
so this is like a picture only non-verbal diy or something lol. coulda explained wat u was doing man

Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by the_coupe
indeed it is lol. cant wait to see them modded. and if i could i would, but im at bradsahw infiniti in greenville, sc.....not in GA. lol
I'll move. Let me get at least 3k a month and I'll be there.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
its not that i dont understand you were just being very vague at first of what you were i mean if you notice im not the only one that got confused

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Nissan Murano spark plug tube seals