G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Walmart Headlight Restoration

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Walmart Headlight Restoration

For the last couple weeks ive been looking for a way to make my headlights clear again. At night they look like absolute ****, with yellow stains and fog (during the day they look clean tho). I just found out tho walmart has a headlight restoration service for $50 that lasts for ~2 years. Was wondering anybody try them? They do a good job?

EDIT: Bought Turtle Wax instead. See Post#16 for results and info.

Last edited by Mark2K8; 05-06-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
For the last couple weeks ive been looking for a way to make my headlights clear again. At night they look like absolute ****, with yellow stains and fog (during the day they look clean tho). I just found out tho walmart has a headlight restoration service for $50 that lasts for ~2 years. Was wondering anybody try them? They do a good job?
Seriously, try the $8 kit from autozone before you have a professional do it(especially a walmart one lol). It made my headlights look brand new!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=220968_0_0_
I used this myself a few weeks ago worked great was really happy with the result. I did a non drill headlight restoration kit and it was a pain and didnt work 1/4 as well. The 3m kit is the way to go and you can get it at autozone.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm cringing just thinking of the idea of walmart doing anything to a car. Try what the others have said. The 3m kit works great with some elbow grease. Ive restored several cars headlights with it.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
The main ingredient in headlight cleaners is a polish... no different than toothpaste. Just take 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste and rub it onto your headlight with light pressure. Use a moist towel and rub it in circular motion. The headlight should be done in 30-45 seconds, then just move to the next one with another 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste. Take a clean, wet cloth and wipe off the toothpaste once you're doe, then rinse the headlight very well, dry, and apply a good sealant like Collinite 845. I also apply Collinite 845 to my windshield every year just before winter sets in. You should be good for 1 year at $.15 max.

I've been doing this for the last 10 years and it works as well as the expensive materials.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll be the oddball here and say yes...

Mine here in Az were looking very bad.

Had Wallyworld do mine ( only cost $35 here ) and they came out looking great.

Although, I will try one of the less expensive methods next time...

Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by MADtotheA
Seriously, try the $8 kit from autozone before you have a professional do it(especially a walmart one lol). It made my headlights look brand new!
I know, but it seems everyone recommends a different kit, and each kit has different reviews. One says it worked for him, one it doesn't. And I dont wanna spend $10 here and there for different kits.

Originally Posted by foxx_good
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=220968_0_0_
I used this myself a few weeks ago worked great was really happy with the result. I did a non drill headlight restoration kit and it was a pain and didnt work 1/4 as well. The 3m kit is the way to go and you can get it at autozone.
Yea this was one of the ones I am considering

Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
The main ingredient in headlight cleaners is a polish... no different than toothpaste. Just take 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste and rub it onto your headlight with light pressure. Use a moist towel and rub it in circular motion. The headlight should be done in 30-45 seconds, then just move to the next one with another 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste. Take a clean, wet cloth and wipe off the toothpaste once you're doe, then rinse the headlight very well, dry, and apply a good sealant like Collinite 845. I also apply Collinite 845 to my windshield every year just before winter sets in. You should be good for 1 year at $.15 max.

I've been doing this for the last 10 years and it works as well as the expensive materials.
I tried toothpaste a couple months back when I first got my car. It had light fog. It kinda cleaned it up, but it returned to normal state a couple weeks later. I tried it again today, and it really ****ed up my headlights this time (not sure why). It fogged them up even more.

Originally Posted by AZ-G
I'll be the oddball here and say yes...

Mine here in Az were looking very bad.

Had Wallyworld do mine ( only cost $35 here ) and they came out looking great.

Although, I will try one of the less expensive methods next time...
i think ima try it tomorrow. if im not happy with it ill tell them whats up

Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
I tried toothpaste a couple months back when I first got my car. It had light fog. It kinda cleaned it up, but it returned to normal state a couple weeks later. I tried it again today, and it really ****ed up my headlights this time (not sure why). It fogged them up even more.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've done mine on the old Volvo (X5) and now the G (X2 in 4 years) w/o incident. Did you wash them afterwards and then wax them with a couple of coats to protect them? Again, I'm sorry.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the 8 dollar walmart kit from turtle wax, worked wonders.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try wet sanding the headlight first, then using plastic polish and a buffer.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Use some Meguiars M105 and a foam applicator. Takes some elbow grease but it works great! Heres a link: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...s-on-a-budget/

Old 04-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine were looking horrible too...I have an 03.....i almost bought a restore kit and reaqd somewhere just to use polish...

I had some wheel polish tried it...and they look brand new!!! sooo easy to do I was surprised.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used Turtle headlight restore kit, from Walmart $8.

Before:

After:
Name:  CIMG1745.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  headlightrestore.jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  36.0 KB

Not the best pictures (taken on different days and such) but it gives you an idea. Cheaper to get a kit and do it yourself. I noticed a very big difference; they were much clearer afterwards. I was able to remove alot of the oxidation/yellowing on the surface of the lights.

Now to find a way to clear up the clearance strip..

Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kimaya
I used Turtle headlight restore kit, from Walmart $8.

Before:

After:

Not the best pictures (taken on different days and such) but it gives you an idea. Cheaper to get a kit and do it yourself. I noticed a very big difference; they were much clearer afterwards. I was able to remove alot of the oxidation/yellowing on the surface of the lights.

Now to find a way to clear up the clearance strip..
Wow looks very good! Ill pick one up later this week! Thanks!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Any polish should do the job. The important thing is to wax or seal the headlights afterwards.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Walmart Headlight Restoration