The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Exhaust Tips on the G37S Sedan

Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Exhaust Tips on the G37S Sedan

I just picked up my 2011 G37S Sedan 6MT last month. Lots to love about this car, and very little to hate on...

...except the cheap-looking exhaust tips.

In the next few years, I'll be exploring options with an axel-back, or partial cat-back, full cat-back, etc. (Tannabe and Borla certainly come to mind.) But in the mean time, the OEM exhaust is brand new, and I'm OK with it. Except for the tips.

I'd like to cut them off and weld on something better, purely for looks. That was my premise when asking the same question over on myG37.com, when everyone piled in with "just buy an axle-back". Not exactly a helpful response. I'm hoping for better behavior over here.

Anybody do this? Any recommendations beyond spending $400 - $1500 on a new exhaust just because of the tips?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I remember reading about someone doing this before, as well as burning the stock tips to give them the burnt titanium look. No reason why you can't just chop off the stock tips and weld on aftermarket tips. Look into MotorDyne burnt Ti tips. They're adjustable, so if the pipe diameters work out, you might not have to weld them on, just slide them on.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
Look into MotorDyne burnt Ti tips. They're adjustable, so if the pipe diameters work out, you might not have to weld them on, just slide them on.
MotorDyne... these aren't bad at $69/each. I like the round SS, sharp-edged, angle-cut. That would be nice, except the inlet is 3 inches, and I believe the inlet on my G tips is 2.5" (or maybe 2.25"... I need to measure it better.)

Still, better looking than the OEM rolled, oval tips with the obvious seam, that's for sure. Seriously, the seam just screams at you as a cheap bolt-on.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM
For $60/each, Magnaflow makes a double-walled, SS tip that seems to fit the purpose: Round, 20 degree angle-cut, folded edge (rather than rolled), 2.25" inlet with 4.0" outlet, 7.5" in length. The specs read perfectly.

The problem is that photographs are inconsistent and confusing. Wish I could see it and hold it in my hands before committing. Maybe I should hit up one of my local speed shops.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you're just doing tips, and doing it right nothing wrong with that, I don't think it's ricey as long as you don't tell people you have an exhaust lol. But you're better doing exactly what you plan and in the future changing to an exhaust for the mean time change the tips.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, its a complete waste of money to pay for tips and then pay for the install if you planning on getting a exhaust in the future.

This is why most people of the 37 forum were saying to just get a axle back at the very least.

LOL "better behavior" Dios Mio!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by JP1080INC
IMO, its a complete waste of money to pay for tips and then pay for the install if you planning on getting a exhaust in the future.

This is why most people of the 37 forum were saying to just get a axle back at the very least.
I bought my Maxima new in 2003, paid it off and modified it before moving on to the G. That's almost 10 years of ownership. At this point, I'm expecting to do the same with the Infiniti. Given that long view, I'd like to replace the tips now, get an axle-back (Tanabe) in a couple years, and a full cat-back (Borla) with some HFC's (Berk) after the note is paid off and the OEM exhaust is getting old. In that context, my plans are very practical.

LOL @ "complete waste of money"

Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 357 Likes on 258 Posts
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9708
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9713
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9732

I didn't check price. It may be helpful to post a few snaps of your current rear end (nohomo), and a side profile of the car and tips.

If you've measured properly @ 7" and either 2.5" or 2.25" then the above 3 options seem good from Magnaflow. I didn't check others though.

Also, don't go from the 2.25/2.5" to a 4" tip, that will ALWAYS look foolish, especially with a clamp on tip. 7" isn't far enough away to hide it 100%, and 4" is pretty big for a dual exhaust tip, kind of 'racy' especially if there's no actual power/exhaust behind it.

IMO stick close to stock size which should be around a 3" tip.

Also, if you're going with weld on tips, consider keeping the diameter the same and having your mechanic fit another pipe on the current outlet to bring the size up to 3" OD, then if you get a 3" ID tip on both ends (something along these lines, anyhow) you can just slide it on and weld it up.
^This will give you a nice clean, constand diameter, no big increase, no large tapers, just nice straight on 3"-3.5" tips.

I wouldn't go bigger than 3.5" OD.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Tuner, the OEM tips are already 4" wide ovals. And they already go 2.25" to 4". That's just the way it is.

You know what truly looks good are the tips welded to the end of the Tanabe axle-back. That would be perfect.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 PM
LMAO the looong way perhaps. But 4" round is a whole different aesthetic sir. Imagine those tips turned 90*

I hope you don't mind, personally, I think this is an impossible thread without pictures for reference during the discussion:

Now, that's better!

It seems with the design of your bumper that a tapered tip might be better hidden than I originally thought. However, it seems that it would likey still be quite visible from the side. As such I stand by my comment about keeping the 'step' as minimal as possible.

And I agree that round tips look better, but after looking closer, you may want to consider the STOCK cutout/bevel in the bumper, the whole thing screams oval tip, if you put a round one on it might look out of place. However, with enough angle (20* or more) on the cut, it will still fly. You can't go straight cut though (not that this was something you considered, just to clarify regardless, for myself perhaps )

Need a side profile picture to get a better idea, and also, a straight on shot of the rear level with the bumper.

Last edited by TunerMax; 02-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM
LOL, just don't get offended in the 37 forum because there aren't people that have done this and and posting pics for you to see. Not one person over on that forum was being rude or anything of that nature.

So yeah, your better behavior remark was a little weak.

But good luck with your..... "tips"

Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Oh, and I was considering the tanabe axle back for my sedan, until I saw a G35 sedan with it at a gas station. And the tips really did look pretty large. It especially looked a little odd from a angled rear perspective. So I decided to pass on it. Have you seen the tips on the invidia exhaust system?
Those are nice and there clamp on.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax
LMAO the looong way perhaps. But 4" round is a whole different aesthetic sir. Imagine those tips turned 90*
Search on IPL exhaust. The OEM tips on the IPL are 4" round. And yeah, they do look a little out of place... but just a little. Then again, the IPL rear bumper supports the design better than the sedan.

Originally Posted by JP1080INC
Have you seen the tips on the invidia exhaust system?
Those are nice and there clamp on.
The burnt titanium tips? I'm not liking that look. Seems kind of ricey.

If it's something else... do you have a reference or picture?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax
I hope you don't mind, personally, I think this is an impossible thread without pictures for reference during the discussion:

Now, that's better!
I don't mind. Yes, that's my car.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Rochester
Search on IPL exhaust. The OEM tips on the IPL are 4" round. And yeah, they do look a little out of place... but just a little. Then again, the IPL rear bumper supports the design better than the sedan.

The IPL is also a beast, with nice factory done modifications. Not a stock G37 with tapered out tips

Tips like the ones shown on the Tanable look ridiculous IMO. The size is ok if it's anywhere close to the actual exhaust size. Putting 4" tips on a 2.25" exhaust is ridiculous and ricey, period. That's just my opinion of course.

Again, you can pull it off cleanly if there's no obvious transition, but stepping from 2.25" to 4" within a 7" span cannot be done cleanly, it'll show, and it'll look silly IMO.

It's normal practice to make the tips larger than the actual exhaust, but a step of more than 1" is pushing it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips on the G37S Sedan