The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Vq35de rebuild

Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vq35de rebuild

I just picked up a new vq35de for cheap. Was burning oil. I plan on rebuilding. I just want opinions on the sickest forced induction set up.. I'm about to order the gtm twin turn key kit soon n put it on the motor that's in the car. In the mean time.. What should I do to my other block??? Bore?? Stroke??? Heads??? Just want some feed back on trying to get this vq35 as close to 10s as possible! Thanks!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stroker kit then build the trans there arent to many g35's hitting 10's but there is some also try doing some suspension mods to put the power to the ground !!! differential brace will help on the launch alot change all the bushings to some good 1's also some good tires

Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
i think you should spend more time focusing on cutting the weight of the car as opposed to the power the VQ can make.

you can push good power out of a VQ motor that simply has a built block(stock bore) and stock heads even can get you 600hp no problem with the right boost and tune.

idk if you are 6mt or 5at but either way aluminum driveshaft, 3.7 gears are nice for 1/4 mile and suspension bracing like posted by Kristin so you can actually put that power down.

these cars are HEAVY so its more about the weight you can cut and not the power you can make....

Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
I have 5at.. Transgo vb upgrade, Kinetix high velocity, ingen cold air, Osiris.
I was told to keep my rear 3.3 cuz I'm boosting soon with the gtm twin turn key kit (stay in boost longer). I have this motor on the side that's I want to punish stuff. The built motor will be boosted as well when I finish it I'm swapping everything over. I was wanting to know the best setup for a FI vq.. Compression? Boost capabilities? Head rebuild??? Thanks for the advice on cutting the weight of the car. She sure is heavy!! What would be the best ways to cut the most weight along with what you already listed.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 AM
well it depends on cutting weight cause if you plan on daily driving the vehicle there isn't too much you are going to want to take out or cut out of the car.

you can get the head redone but you might as well build if you are going to do that, possibly some cams too tho the VQ heads do flow pretty darn well.

keep the 3.3 for boost is right. compression go with a forged 9:1 or something low. rods of course you're H-beams are best. just make sure you buy quality brands that have been around and tested before.

tuned right and built it can hold alot of boost, just don't get your hopes too high man unless u want to turn this thing into stritcly a drag car and start cutting out inner door panels and etc....

BTW suspension/tires is a big key as well. no point in making all that power if you can't keep the tires gripping to the track

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
you think i can get her in 11's on a built motor with keeping it everyday drivable without tampering with the interior???
what is one of the biggest weight factors i could cut by changing parts.. driveshaft? suspension??? what kind??? anything else heavy under there??
like what suspensions work could i do to put more power on the ground???

Last edited by jonathanmayea; 06-17-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Another thing. I'm rocking the factory 18's on there. I had some heavy *** 22" chrome wheels on there for about a month but when I started doin engine mods I said hell with that. And suggestions on a good weight to look for in a single rim???

Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM
you can do driveshaft

rear seats, rear panels, rear decklid, trunk lining, spare tire and etc.

i have some nismo lmgt4's. you can pick them up with your pinky without a tire on it. if you want a light wheel you need to also get a quality wheel(volk, nismo, advan) IMO. some cheaper companies wheels are thin and will bend/crack.

i think you should aim for mid to low 12's and possibly 11's only if you are pushing serious boost (25+ lbs)

check this thread out, hasn't been updated lately but shows some times --> https://g35driver.com/forums/drag/16...ons-stock.html

Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Where to get the driveshaft?? also if u had to guess weight of rims what wud it be??? yeh 11's sound nice. on that rebuilt motor i will run serious boost.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 PM
found one.. z1 motorsports!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanmayea
you think i can get her in 11's on a built motor with keeping it everyday drivable without tampering with the interior???
Depends on what your power goals are. A built motor pushing 500whp/wtq+ with DR's or slicks should hit 11's fairly easily, will be much harder with street tires but can still be done.
what is one of the biggest weight factors i could cut by changing parts.. driveshaft? suspension??? what kind??? anything else heavy under there??
Driveshaft, two-piecs rotors and light weight wheels will help reduce rotational mass. There's not much else that can be done besides the exhaust. If money isn't an issue look into HRE's Carbon fiber series wheels, they're only around $10K

Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 PM
What about a carbon fiber drive shaft.. Will one off of a 350z fit my car.. 06 g35 coupe 5at???

Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Only 10 k huh... Lol. I was mainly concerned on a good weight per rim.. I'm shopping??

Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
What about a carbon fiber drive shaft.. Will one off of a 350z fit my car.. 06 g35 coupe 5at???
.No

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Wud tht be a good route to go though??

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vq35de rebuild