Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Burning Oil - BAD - 1 quart every 200 miles

Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning Oil - BAD - 1 quart every 200 miles

Hello,

I've got an 03 G35 with a single turbo on it. I'm roughly adding a quart of oil every 200 miles or so. There is no oil dripping down under the car, or anything smoking from the engine bay as far as a leak.

I did the compression and leak down tests and both numbers came back great with all compression #'s above 180 and the highest cylinder % of a leak was 9.5%.

I checked my intercooler tubing coming off of the turbo and there is no oil in the tubes so my valves seals can't be gone.

What could it be? Anything? I can see lots of smoke in my exhaust, the classic bluish gray when driving, and an initial start up of a bit whiter (I believe its cause of too much fuel on my idle tune - getting fixed soon) Coolant level is still high, so it shouldn't be the head gasket.

My oil pressure never goes about 70psi when in boost, and at cruise sits around 40psi.. 10-20 at idle.

Could it be that I need an oil restrictor feeding the turbo? Could it be the turbo oil drain isn't working right and its burning up oil in the turbo?

No ideas....I was still getting 350 whp at the wheels so if it was my engine burning it, wouldn't i notice a bad power loss if I was going through that much oil.

I do get the smell of burnt oil when decellerating sometime, but I guess thats expected.

Any thoughts would be great, as it really sucks having a s**t ton of smoke coming out when I'm hard on the gas, or off the gas at WOT, and there is a bit of smoke too when any type of extra load is added.

Don't want to have to hit up IPP for a new engine.... Thanks

Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by josh.irvine.6
Don't want to have to hit up IPP for a new engine....
You need to do this. would bet my paycheck that your rings are shot... sorry man thats just how it goes :/

Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=josh.irvine.6;6519485]Hello,

I've got an 03 G35 with a single turbo on it. I'm roughly adding a quart of oil every 200 miles or so. There is no oil dripping down under the car, or anything smoking from the engine bay as far as a leak.

I did the compression and leak down tests and both numbers came back great with all compression #'s above 180 and the highest cylinder % of a leak was 9.5%.

I checked my intercooler tubing coming off of the turbo and there is no oil in the tubes so my valves seals can't be gone.

What could it be? Anything? I can see lots of smoke in my exhaust, the classic bluish gray when driving, and an initial start up of a bit whiter (I believe its cause of too much fuel on my idle tune - getting fixed soon) Coolant level is still high, so it shouldn't be the head gasket.

My oil pressure never goes about 70psi when in boost, and at cruise sits around 40psi.. 10-20 at idle.

Could it be that I need an oil restrictor feeding the turbo? Could it be the turbo oil drain isn't working right and its burning up oil in the turbo?

blue smoke on deceleration is almost always bad valve seals

Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Do a compression test, leak down test....you will find out quick enough if your rings are blown which I bet they are

Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Turbo seals could also be bad that will cause you to lose oil too, What kinda turbo is it how many miles on there etc?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compression and leak down test was already done. I had compression above 180 on all cylinders dry, 190 wet.. And leak down results were all under 10%.. So the rings seem
to be fine, right?

The turbo is a Turbonetics turbo, and I recently had someone take the I/C piping off the inlet side and there was no oil in the piping at all... Could the turbo only be burning oil out the turbine side? The most smoke I get
Is when shifting in boost, or decelerating in boost... Then again SOMETIME its smokes alot even at lower rpm driving, but will disappear quickly and comes and goes which is making me believe it could be my valve seals or valve guides sticking sometime? Sometimes
It will smoke alot at start up, sometimes it doesn't smoke at all? No idea.....