Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Nitto Motivo vs Continental DWS vs Falken PT-722

Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Nitto Motivo vs Continental DWS vs Falken PT-722

I have driven 30k on the Conti DWS, 4k on Falkens and 1.5k on the Motivos, on my 05 Sedan. Tires were 235/45-18 , DWS was 245/45-18

For Dry grip, the Motivos surprise me from time to time with the amount of grip they have, from the minute I put them on they felt great. The Continental DWS was a great tire as well in this respect but once I went through the angled tread the tire's characteristics changed a bit but still had decent grip. The Motivos and DWS liked 35PSI, The Falkens were interesting, and The First few hundred Miles I had them set at 35PSI, dry grip was horrible ABS was coming on unexpectedly I wasn't too happy with them. But, after 800 miles I started playing with tire pressure and the Falkens Loved lower PSI, I set them to 31PSI and dry grip improved tremendously but not quite up to the level of the Motivos.

A final note about the Falkens, they are very very noisy at their limit before they let go. You can get the tire screaming without VDC to kicking in. While the DWS as soon as it started to make noise VDC kicked in. The Motivos are similar to the DWS as soon as they start making noise VDC kicks in.

So this is how I would rate them.

Dry Grip
  1. Nitto Motivo
  2. Falken PT-722
  3. Continental DWS

Living in South Florida and driving a lot of highway, I look for great wet performance, of course every manufacture lists that they have good wet performance.

Simply put it the DWS absolutely was king in this area, I was extremely surprised with the wet performance. It held grip amazingly well throughout its tire life, even as the tread wore down, wet performance did suffer but it was still very good! The Motivo's do not live up to be as good at the DWS in the Wet but they are still very decent, it is easier to break them loose than the DWS but they still have a threshold that you can feel. The Falkens performed the worse of the group, they were not horrible but compared to the Motivos they were easier to break loose in the wet and loss traction sooner.

Wet Grip
  1. Continental DWS
  2. Nitto Motivo
  3. Falken PT-722
Just driving on the highway, roads..etc
Continental DWS was pretty quiet; the Falkens were pretty close but were a tad louder, almost unnoticeable. The Motivos were the loudest.

Road Noise
  1. Continental DWS
  2. Falken PT-722
  3. Nitto Motivo

Comfort
  1. Continental DWS
  2. Falken PT-722
  3. Nitto Motivo

Sidewall Firmness
  1. Nitto Motivo
  2. Falken PT-722
  3. Continental DWS

If you needed to stop in a hurry with ABS or not, the Continental DWS were good when it had the angled tread but once it wore out it was activating ABS more under hard braking. The Falkens never felt great under braking. They felt as if ABS was working overtime, and the deceleration felt much weaker. The Motivos do very well under braking they feel solid and do not engaged ABS so easily.

Feel under Braking
  1. Nitto Motivo
  2. Continental DWS
  3. Falken PT-722

I will comment more as I put more miles on the tire. I cannot comment on wear yet. So far I am enjoying the tire.

*I was given the Motivos by Nitto to test and review, I try to keep the my bias to the nittos down to none.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Good comparison with all that info!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I have the PT-722.. personally, i wouldn't recommend them for a g35
I've had them for 1.5k miles... (still drive on them)..
The tires so far is quiet and somewhat soft.. it seems to be a great tire for a Camry.. quiet, soft, and handles a bumps and potholes gratefully..
Dry grip I would say is pretty bad and "dangerous"... These tires don't scream at their limits.. and their limits come WAYYYYYYYY ahead of the cars limit.. 25 mph on-ramp turns at 35mph (and NO gas) will break them loose.. I don't mind this BUT they do NOT make a noise.. it just slips and like few inches and finally the VDC kicks in.. I was pretty shocked... I tried it 3 times.. and same result...

Price wise they are good.. but I wish they had a little more dry grip..
but they do have a treadwear rating of 600 i believe.. 40k mile rating.. so I shouldn't expect too much performance...

Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
^ Its weird that you say they are not noisy? They were the noisiest tire I have owned, people in front and behind me on Zdayz could hear them lol.

If you look at the sidewall it says "Sumitomo rubber" So falken isn't really making these tires. Maybe something is going on with QC but it is interesting you mention that it doesn't make noise at all.

What PSI you running with them? Try 31, 32 PSI...

But I totally agree with you on the dry grip but they are still not really broken in for you, my break in (after 1000 miles) was mountain driving after that they got much better. My review of the tire is after "break in" I had the same exact issues you had when I first got em.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 09-01-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
^ Its weird that you say they are not noisy? They were the noisiest tire I have owned, people in front and behind me on Zdayz could hear them lol.

If you look at the sidewall it says "Sumitomo rubber" So falken isn't really making these tires. Maybe something is going on with QC but it is interesting you mention that it doesn't make noise at all.

What PSI you running with them? Try 31, 32 PSI...

But I totally agree with you on the dry grip but they are still not really broken in for you, my break in was mountain driving after that they got much better. My review of the tire is after "break in" I had the same exact issues you had when I first got em.
yea.. i think i'll see about the noise after 5k miles.. it seems like most tires display "premature" noise past that mileage..

EDIT: just realized you put that they were made by Sumitomo... dang.. it's gonna be a loud 60k miles...

Last edited by joedaddy1; 09-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts
Love falkens!