G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Transmission Hesitation/Delay Engaging Reverse/Drive

Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Transmission Hesitation/Delay Engaging Reverse/Drive

Hi guys,

It seems that sometimes when I shift the vehicle from Park to Drive/Reverse or Drive to Reverse or vice versa, it'll take a second to engage and then it'll just sort of "grab" into the gear.

Today I went to the dealer and the advisor told me he could replace the transmission under warranty. However they found that the fluid was dirty (I bought this used half a year ago from a dealer). So they recommended a flush and I've done it.

In general from the drive I've had after picking it up today, the transmission seems much smoother and seems to just engage drive and reverse smoothly without the "grab" feeling. However while I was parking this one time today, the transmission seemed to "grab" into reverse and drive after a second delay. This didn't exactly inspire confidence that the flush has "fixed" the problem.

Honestly i'm going to give it about a month before I go back to the dealer. Because the problem is that if the flush doesn't solve this problem, it seems that the only alternative would be, as my advisor has recommended, replace the transmission under warranty. The powertrain warranty is set to expire in August this year.

Anyone want to fill me in? I really need to do some research and have to drive the car a bit more before I make the decision for them to replace the transmission under warranty.

Thanks!
Tim

Last edited by Timbits93; 05-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FutureslammedG (05-04-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Only having your G for a year and the trans fluid being dirty doesn't say much for the dealership or the cars they sell! What did the STEALERSHIP charge you for the flush....$300+? Changing fluid isn't going to solve the issues you're having! Take it back in a few weeks and get the new trans. Ever wonder what else the dealership might have missed/didn't check? If they neglected to check the trans fluid I'd be concerned about all the other fluids/filters that may have never been changed!
Gary

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Only having your G for a year and the trans fluid being dirty doesn't say much for the dealership or the cars they sell! What did the STEALERSHIP charge you for the flush....$300+? Changing fluid isn't going to solve the issues you're having! Take it back in a few weeks and get the new trans. Ever wonder what else the dealership might have missed/didn't check? If they neglected to check the trans fluid I'd be concerned about all the other fluids/filters that may have never been changed!
Gary
Actually bought it from another dealer (Ford/Lincoln dealer if you were curious). I've posted in the past about suspecting the wheel bearings and have updated it in that thread. Long story short, they said it was tire noise the first time. Today, couple months later, they decided that the front bearings are actually bad and replaced the front pair under warranty - reason I brought it to the stealership. Mind you had a different advisor this time too.

As far as the transmission goes, flush was about $200. I'll be quite honest here, probably should have just took the advice of the advisor and just had him write up for a new transmission under warranty when I initially told him about the problem. Flush was recommended after the tech looked at the fluid. Was just a bit hesitant that it would need a new transmission now if you know what I mean.

I'll be hopeful and see how it goes over the weeks I guess, probably see what they could do to compensate for the flush if they're going to replace the transmission.

But yeah thanks for your input Gary, seems to be the general consensus and probably a safer bet.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How many miles r on the car? Were there any previous flushes by the old owner?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 PM
BTW... When they change ur tranny they would have given u new fluids anyway..

Old 05-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Took the car out for a spin this morning, it still has the "grab" feeling and slight delay sometimes. I'll just get them to address it later this month - most likely it'll be a new transmission.

Originally Posted by RedBaronK
How many miles r on the car? Were there any previous flushes by the old owner?
100,500KM (62,500 Miles). According to the service history, looks like no transmission flushes were done to the vehicle. Hell the coolant was light green (it tested fine but it was definitely old) and got that flushed as well, now its strong green.

BTW... When they change ur tranny they would have given u new fluids anyway..
Yeah, I kind of figured. Oh well, i'll see what kind of leeway they'll have when I get the transmission replaced (that is if they don't go against their word).

Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Timbits93
Took the car out for a spin this morning, it still has the "grab" feeling and slight delay sometimes. I'll just get them to address it later this month - most likely it'll be a new transmission.

100,500KM (62,500 Miles). According to the service history, looks like no transmission flushes were done to the vehicle. Hell the coolant was light green (it tested fine but it was definitely old) and got that flushed as well, now its strong green.

Yeah, I kind of figured. Oh well, i'll see what kind of leeway they'll have when I get the transmission replaced (that is if they don't go against their word).
Doesn't the warranty expire at 60k miles?

-Edit-
Nevermind, powertrain seems to be 70k miles.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Eh I guess replacing it is better than being sorry later. When u mention the "grab" feeling, sorta hard to understand what that exactly is. What kinda delay is it?

Unless the stealership is retarded and screw it up. Chances of that is low, but then again...

Old 05-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Eh I guess replacing it is better than being sorry later.
That's what the service advisor said, since the powertrain warranty is still in effect.

When u mention the "grab" feeling, sorta hard to understand what that exactly is. What kinda delay is it?
Well as in when you shift it into drive or reverse, sometimes it'll sort of be neutral till a second or two later where it engages drive or reverse. And sometimes when it engages drive or reverse, there's a hesitation, sort of a sudden engagement of gear, like it found something to finally "grab" on to engage hence a "grab" feeling and either have a lurch feeling either forward or reverse accompanied by it at times.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Any thumps? Engines revving up before gears being down shifted while in drive?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
To my way of thinking, there really isn't any question about it; if the dealership is willing to swap out your transmission for a new one (with 70K fewer miles on it!!), then by all means, go right ahead. What's to debate? Why even bother with an oil flush in the interim?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Any thumps? Engines revving up before gears being down shifted while in drive?
No, the transmission seems to be quite smooth while in drive. Though of course if I shift it manually, you could feel it sometimes. Other than that, it does its job fairly smoothly in Drive.

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Why even bother with an oil flush in the interim?
Good question, honestly shouldn't have done it and just should have let the advisor write up on the Transmission for a warranty repair. I'll probably call them sometime later this week.

Again thanks for everyone's input! Will report back on the transmission should things go better or worse and about the warranty repair if that goes through.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue, it seemed to act up in colder weather 20-40 but not freezing temperatures. In late October they updated software (there was a bulletin) but it started up again a month after, and is happening again.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Update - Getting Replaced Under Warranty

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that went to service and rode with the technician regarding it. He says that its normal with the G35 to have a slight delay (though its a bit rough, as i said the "grab" feeling of sudden engagement) however since its still under powertrain warranty and to be on the safe side, they'll replace the transmission under warranty.

So new one got ordered and coming straight from Japan (couldn't find one elsewhere). In the meantime, just have to wait for a service date.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
^^ AWESOME!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Hesitation/Delay Engaging Reverse/Drive