G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Using a magnet to break into our cars ???

Old 01-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using a magnet to break into our cars ???

I just read a thread where someone found the windows down on their car and the only thing they saw were some scuff marks on the door.

On Christmas day my friends G35 was broken into and some gifts were stolen. There were no visible signs of forced entry. There was only a slight scratch on the door near the handle. I haven't see the scratch yet so I don't know the exact location. When the cops looked at the car they said the thieves most likely used a magnet to break in and the scratch was the result of running the magnet across the door.

I have never heard of this. Can a strategically placed magnet activate our windows to open???

On another note I had my car broken into on New Years. From the damage it looks like they jammed a crowbar through the door and destroyed the lock. All the compartments were open and everything lay on the floor of the car. Since nothing was stolen other than a few CD's the cops said they were most likely searching for the valet key so they could steal the car without damaging the ignition (using the valet key would override the alarm and not activate LoJack)

Old 01-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Just use a coat hanger (or even better a copper refrigerator water tube) and use it to either put the window down or to pop the trunk.

I've used the copper tube, only cost ~$4 from Home Depot and it took me ~20 seconds to get into the car. BTW, I broke into a friends car who locked his keys in the car w/ the engine running (and I had his permission).

Any vehicle without a window frame is a piece of cake to get into.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:31 PM
How did you use the water tube? (and what does it look like? Do you use it to hook the lock mechanism like a coat hanger?)

Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear of your recent breakin ...... TNX for the headsup on the magnet trick.
C.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:53 PM
yes... tell everyone in the world how to break into our cars... smart guys

Old 01-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Ack it apears our cars are easy to get into. I'm lucky and haven't had any problems. I guess the good thing is the car still seems to have pretty good ignition security.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by alexchuang
yes... tell everyone in the world how to break into our cars... smart guys
+1. Seriously, wtf.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno, I find that a bit hard (the magnet) to believe that that could open the door

it's just like when people claim that by sticking your remote under your chin and holding it against it, because of hwo your body conducts electricity you can tripple it's range abilities.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i better take my valey key out of my car then

Old 01-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Come on. You guys really think that the thieves don't already know this? Those of you who do or did hang out in those 'circles' know what I'm saying.

If you buy a copper tube that is 1/4" diameter (it is used to provide water to your refrigerator's ice maker) you can bend this and it retains its shape very well. Just use your fingers and pry the window back a tad and slide the tube down inside of the glass. Put the tube in about 6" then bend it slightly. Aim for the window switch and just push it down.

This isn't rocket science or anything. And for all of you who are getting pissed off for me typing this... did you know you can just take a hammer and a socket wrench and pound the socket over your "wheel locks" and they come right off?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Assuming the car is running, yeah that would work.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
This isn't a "how to break into a car" thread. It's a heads up on things we should be aware about our cars. If you know how people can break into our cars or try to steal them than you can better protect yourself. Keeping the valet key in your wallet and not in your car is one of them.

My original question is can a powerful magnet be used to open the windows?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Obsessive Owner
Thanks for the headsup, i wonder if you really can use a magnet??

Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
it's just like when people claim that by sticking your remote under your chin and holding it against it, because of hwo your body conducts electricity you can tripple it's range abilities.
After watching an episode of Myth Busters I decided I would bust this myth. To my surprise, I was able to unlock the doors on my F-150 from a significantly increased distance (not triple but probably double) by putting the remote up to my chin.

I repeated the test about 5 times in an empty parking lot and come to the conclusion that it worked (at least with my F-150).

I know, nobody cares but it was at least interesting to a dork like me.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Lightbulb She blinded me with science...

Originally Posted by jameyb
After watching an episode of Myth Busters I decided I would bust this myth. To my surprise, I was able to unlock the doors on my F-150 from a significantly increased distance (not triple but probably double) by putting the remote up to my chin.

I repeated the test about 5 times in an empty parking lot and come to the conclusion that it worked (at least with my F-150).

I know, nobody cares but it was at least interesting to a dork like me.
You have experienced the phenomenon of "capacitive coupling". Just as any vertical antenna needs a "ground plane" to work off of, so to your "transmitter" in your key. When you hold it close, you couple the transmitter to you body as a ground plane and you get better range.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Using a magnet to break into our cars ???