Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Summary of options: Connecting iPod to Infiniti HU

Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summary of options: Connecting iPod to Infiniti HU

- How to connect the iPod to the Infiniti G35 Factory Head Unit -

There are many Threads on iPod connectivity to the G35 headunit stereo system, and a search on "ipod" will give you pages and pages of info to read, so here is my attempt to summarize some of what I have read:

I’ve been researching this for sometime, so this is also my way to confirm my findings with those of you who have already done this (or maybe are doing your own research) so please let me know if there are any mistakes and don't flame me for them! Also note, you can always use a FM modulator of some sort, but I would prefer better sound quality, and that's what this post is about.

Connecting iPod to Infiniti Factory HU (Bose / none Bose)

1. Connecting the iPod to factory HU:
The choices are fairly limited since most of the companies building the factory HU to Auxiliary input devices don’t offer them for the Infiniti G35. Here are what’s available:

- PAC AAI-NISv2 (the upgrade to PAC AAI-NIS) which now supports concurrent use of Sat input and aux on the Bose factory HU
- USA Spec PA11 – Nis Smart iPod Connector

- Soundgate AUX-NISS auxiliary input – similar to the PAC AAI-NIS, but works with G35 2003-2004 models without "SAT" button on Radio

- JL Cleansweep - Another option, however a very expensive one – it has an aux input, and it flattens the output of the factory HU, but Infiniti Bose HU does not need this, so it is basically overkill if only used for the aux input.

- Monster iCruz – The web site suggests it is compatible with Infiniti G35 03-04. It is an expensive option which consists of 2 required components - the FactoryLinx OEM/CD Changer interface module for $199 and an interface module specifically for the car model, in this case Nissan, for $99 - and optionally you can also add a LCD screen ($99) all together about $400! Maybe that’s why I can’t find anyone who’s installed this in their Infiniti (If you do, please let me know!)

Not yet, but maybe coming soon? :
- Peripheral iPod2Car adapter – the web site does not show compatibility with Infiniti head-unit.

- MP3YourCar.com Neo iOn – Not yet supported on Infiniti, but the web site suggests it will work in near future.

- Dension ICE>Link: - The web sites suggests an Infiniti compatible version is not yet available

2. Controlling the iPod:
- Harmon Kardon Drive+Play – it does control the iPod, and it can even connect it to the factory HU, but uses FM modulation and therefore the sound quality would not be as good as using a aux input adapter. My guess is that matching the HK Drive+Play and something like the PAC AAI-NISv2 would provide for a great solution to both control the iPod and get great sound quality, but then again, it is a very costly solution

- Monster iCruz – same comments as above

3. Other iPod or Aux input related accessories
- PAC SWI-X: If you want to control your iPod using the steering wheel controls, and if you already have an iPod infrared remote control, then you can use this.

- Blitzsafe UII Universal iPOD Interface – If you want to charge the iPod while listening to the car, you can use this universal adapter in conjunction with the PAC AAI-NIS

- Belkin Auto Kit – Another way to both charge the iPod and connect the audio through the same connector

- TVandnav2go - For those of us with the 5G video iPod, this adapter allows you to send the video from the iPod to the factory GPS navigation system. There are many other choices for video connectivity in Infiniti. Note that to my knowledge, this device only provides video connectivity, so you still need something like the PAC AAI-NIS to get audio out of the video iPod to your factory stereo.

I am sure there are other choices. If you can think of them, and if they are better or provide more functionalities than the equipment listed here, please let me know!

Last edited by netwireless; 01-30-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I, personally, am happy with the combination of the Pac AAI-NIS & the Blitzsafe UII. The sound quality is excellent with the AAI-NIS and the capability of charging while listening to music is a definite plus with the Blitzsafe. Plus, it does turn it off if the ignition is turned off. (Well, it puts it in "Pause" mode, which turns it off eventually). My 2cents anyway!

Old 01-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by netwireless
- Belkin Auto Kit – Another way to both charge the iPod and connect the audio through the same connector
I'm using the PAC AAI-NIS along with the Belkin Auto Kit for my iPod. If you connect the audio to the Belkin, it sounds like crap. Mine sounds much better when I connect the sound directly to the iPod. I just use the Belkin for power.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:13 AM
I use the PAC unit plus an IceLink AUX. The IceLink also charges the iPod.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by netwireless
- TVandnav2go - For those of us with the 5G video iPod, this adapter allows you to send the video from the iPod to the factory GPS navigation system. There are many other choices for video connectivity in Infiniti. Note that to my knowledge, this device only provides video connectivity, so you still need something like the PAC AAI-NIS to get audio out of the video iPod to your factory stereo.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What is needed to get the video iPod to play videos on the nav display? I didn;t see anythign about this on the TVandnav2go site.

Jay

Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poorboyj
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What is needed to get the video iPod to play videos on the nav display? I didn;t see anythign about this on the TVandnav2go site.

Jay
Uh, it kind of goes without saying. The Video IPod has a TV out adapter cable... plugs into the IPod with one end and has an RCA plug at the other. The TVandNav2Go unit has RCA inputs... soooooooo.. put two and two together and you get video ipod on your stock nav screen... or any screen for that matter

Old 01-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by MISTIKMACK
I, personally, am happy with the combination of the Pac AAI-NIS & the Blitzsafe UII. The sound quality is excellent with the AAI-NIS and the capability of charging while listening to music is a definite plus with the Blitzsafe. Plus, it does turn it off if the ignition is turned off. (Well, it puts it in "Pause" mode, which turns it off eventually). My 2cents anyway!

MISTICMACK,
where did you hide/install the PAC and Blitzsafe units? I'm going with the exact set-up and wanted to get ideas. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by droppin_deuces
MISTICMACK,
where did you hide/install the PAC and Blitzsafe units? I'm going with the exact set-up and wanted to get ideas. Thanks.

Assuming you have the 6MT coupe, I placed mine right under the cig ligther/ashtray. There's plenty of room, which you'll find out once you remove that console.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Assuming you have the 6MT coupe, I placed mine right under the cig ligther/ashtray. There's plenty of room, which you'll find out once you remove that console.
I actually have a 6MT sedan. Hopefully there will be as much room as the coupe. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 AM
http://store.monstercable.com/iCruze/

the icruze system is now only $99! But it only shows compatibility with 03-04

Old 02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
FYI - Nissan is offering OEM Ipod adapters for their vehicles, I would assume Infiniti is right around the corner. Integrates steering wheel controls, and maintains SAT functionality.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Trebien, do you know how much is Nissan charging for this iPod adapter? Hopefully it's not a $600 option!

Old 02-03-2006, 03:56 AM
What he said!
I also have an rf remote attached to the ipod that lets me skip songs while the iPod is tucked into the top cubby.

sd_diver

Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
ashtray

has anyone docked their ipod in the ashtray of the 03 manual coupe yet?

I'm having trouble finding pics or traces of anyone doing this and it seems like a fantastic spot to place the ipod and hide the connections when you aren't in the car.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trebien
FYI - Nissan is offering OEM Ipod adapters for their vehicles, I would assume Infiniti is right around the corner. Integrates steering wheel controls, and maintains SAT functionality.
When is this supposed to be coming out?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Summary of options: Connecting iPod to Infiniti HU