Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
What kind of radar is that?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice....

Old 05-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by angeleyes8103
That is cool I was thinking of doing that too because there are no power adapters to plug in the radar detector besides in the center console. I think that is just so weird
When you hardwire something you dont actually plug it in with the cig lighter. You get the wire without anything attached to it, so you'll end up with a positive and negative wire and then you just tap the power from a power source. I used a fuse tap for mine and grounded somewhere close to the fuse box.

I love my hardwired radar, it's hard to see from the outside, and I like the clean look to it, no wires running the center.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Wannabe6MT-

Thanks for the thread. Do you have photos of the hardwiring into the lower fuse box? Can you post them, or explain how you did that part? I am trying to hardwire my radar too, but can't figure how to do it, and/or where to connect the wire into to get some juice.

Someone in another board suggested using a "add-a-fuse" adapter that plugs into the fuse box itself, but my 2008 G35 uses the low profile fuses. Those adapters (as far as I could find) only come in the sizes for ATH and ATM fuses.

Thanks for any help and input y'all can provide to this noob (me).

Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Armanius Maximu
Wannabe6MT-

Thanks for the thread. Do you have photos of the hardwiring into the lower fuse box? Can you post them, or explain how you did that part? I am trying to hardwire my radar too, but can't figure how to do it, and/or where to connect the wire into to get some juice.

Someone in another board suggested using a "add-a-fuse" adapter that plugs into the fuse box itself, but my 2008 G35 uses the low profile fuses. Those adapters (as far as I could find) only come in the sizes for ATH and ATM fuses.

Thanks for any help and input y'all can provide to this noob (me).
if the fuse tap doesnt work, you could always get a wire tap and tap it into your cigarette lighter or any power source. I taped mine to the cigarette lighter so that it will only be turned on when the car is turned on. Same concept as to taping it into your homelink mirror.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
My biggest thing is trying to find a power source. This is sad, but I know jack squat about cars, and wouldn't recognize a power source line even if it hit me in the face!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 PM
hmm.. don't they have the 'z' brackets for the G? mirror stem isn't the same as the z?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Deathmage
hmm.. don't they have the 'z' brackets for the G? mirror stem isn't the same as the z?
Yeah you G guys really need to get clued into the "Z mount" or "mike's mount" as they have been dubbed on my350z. While the OP's install is nice, it just takes clean to a whole nother level. No suction cups or loose wires.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks really good..the radar that is...as the mute botton i think you should have put it in a better place...like the ashtray...something like that you should have hid it. so when it does off u push the ashtray and hit the mute botton and then done close the ashtray. I mounted some lights (ccfl ) on my headliner...haha i got knocked on it so i took it down....LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Its really easy and you should have enough wire to run it to the ashtray...all you need to do is take off the shifter PANAL and make a small hole for the wire to go into.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Looks Good! But I believe that is not the most optimal placement for a radar/laser detector! Center and lowest possible on the windshield, above the windshield wiper would be the best location! I just hardwired my radar detector to the fusebox. I just split a male quick connect in half and inserted that into the positive side of the fuse holder. There was 4 unused slots on the fuse box, but only one was powered, and I'm not talking about the spare fuse slots! If you don't have full options, you should have a few more unused slots!
I used a volt meter to locate the hot one!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
who told you "lowest point on the windshield"? i've always known it to be the highest point on the windshield that does not restrict line of sight to the back windshield of the car.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 AM
I use "Mikes Mount" and the invisicord. I think that is the cleanest install there is. You can tell Mike to leave off the Z when you order the mount. I had a small gold Mt. Fuji sticker that a friend of mine made me and I put that on the mount.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
who told you "lowest point on the windshield"? i've always known it to be the highest point on the windshield that does not restrict line of sight to the back windshield of the car.
Do more research!

Here is one example!

http://www.radarbusters.com/mountdet...rlyarticle.cfm

Last edited by BigTurbo; 05-28-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTurbo
Do more research!

Here is one example!

http://www.radarbusters.com/mountdet...rlyarticle.cfm
why don't you calm down and actually read what you are siting. let me quote what you site:

1. In most cases, mounting the radar detector in this position will place it in the center of the windshield. This can cause a visual obstruction while you are driving. In Minnesota, it is illegal to mount anything to your windshield that may obstruct your vision (169.71: No person shall drive or operate any motor vehicle with objects suspended between the driver and windshield)

2. Mounting a radar detector too high will cause you to take your eyes off the road when it is activated.

3. If left in your car while parked, you will be exposing it to thieves.

4. This position is also a dead give away for law enforcement that you have a countermeasure device. While Radar Roy was a traffic officer, it was common to pull behind a motorist who was speeding and see their radar detector mounted directly in the center of the windshield. Even though the use of a radar detector is legal in all states, with the exception of Virginia and Washington D.C., some officers don't appreciate their use. You will have a better chance of getting a break, if you make it less noticeable.

5. You will have other motorists following behind making you their trailblazer. If you then encounter an emergency situation and slam on your brakes, the vehicles following may slam into you.

nowhere here does it say anything about better reception of radar signals. you mount your detector where ever you want, but i'll stick with manufacturers recommendations and place it as high as possible. good luck with keeping obstructions to a minimum on your windshield and not being the leader of a pack of cars using your radar detector.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
why don't you calm down and actually read what you are siting. let me quote what you site:

1. In most cases, mounting the radar detector in this position will place it in the center of the windshield. This can cause a visual obstruction while you are driving. In Minnesota, it is illegal to mount anything to your windshield that may obstruct your vision (169.71: No person shall drive or operate any motor vehicle with objects suspended between the driver and windshield)

2. Mounting a radar detector too high will cause you to take your eyes off the road when it is activated.

3. If left in your car while parked, you will be exposing it to thieves.

4. This position is also a dead give away for law enforcement that you have a countermeasure device. While Radar Roy was a traffic officer, it was common to pull behind a motorist who was speeding and see their radar detector mounted directly in the center of the windshield. Even though the use of a radar detector is legal in all states, with the exception of Virginia and Washington D.C., some officers don't appreciate their use. You will have a better chance of getting a break, if you make it less noticeable.

5. You will have other motorists following behind making you their trailblazer. If you then encounter an emergency situation and slam on your brakes, the vehicles following may slam into you.

nowhere here does it say anything about better reception of radar signals. you mount your detector where ever you want, but i'll stick with manufacturers recommendations and place it as high as possible. good luck with keeping obstructions to a minimum on your windshield and not being the leader of a pack of cars using your radar detector.

U forgot!

Consider using Velcro to mount your detector on the dash or using the supplied windshield mounting brackets and mounting it low on the windshield. By mounting it this way, making sure that the windshield wipers are not blocking the front, you will draw the least amount of attention and obtain the best laser and radar detection.

Go to any radar detector site and read! You will learn something! I would also like to know which manufacturer recommends mounting high on the windshield?

Last edited by BigTurbo; 05-28-2008 at 01:44 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Radar Detector Hardwired w/ Pics