Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock

In the last week, I've been working on installing JL 250/1 Amp, with JL10w6v2 and 4080 sub box. I also replaced all speakers with infinity kappas. Its my first time doing any kind of car audio install and I wouldnt be able to do this if not for the excellent DIY from dR6 and my questions answered by Gilley . Thanks to you all! Below are the pictures of the sub with the amp with where I put the fuse at (with double sticky tapes). Im very pleased with this upgrade as it dramatically improve the sound compared to bose system.

Attached Thumbnails Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1205-medium-.jpg   Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1206-medium-.jpg   Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1223-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Next, I wanted to integrate my iPhone along with iPhone dock to the PAC-AAI NIS2 connected to my SAT input. For those of you with iPhone, you know that its not optimal to connect the iPhone audio out directly to your audio in, as the sound will get preprocessed by iPhone and you will get lower quality as well lower volume sound. Connecting the iPhone to the docking station and then from docking station to the line-in will solve that, but I dont see anyone making a clip/harness for iPhone docking station. So, after thinking about it for awhile, I decided to make a harness. Its a bit primitive but it works and you cant beat the price. I bought a drilled aluminium from home depot ($0.33 each), cut it and bent it to form an L -shape for my iPhone docking base. You will need to measure the height before you cut to avoid the seat from being scratched in case if the seat goes all the way forward to accomodate rear passenger. I attached some double side tape on it to avoid scratching the interior plastic. I opened the center console (I have an 04 A/T) and started to test fit the bracket as the picture below. I then put a zip tie along the drilled holes in the bracket to the plastic inside the center console to help secure the bracket. You can paint the bracket with black or other colors if you want to make it blend better with the interior. I then close the center panel back and it fit pretty well with the bracket and the mini jack out from behind.

Attached Thumbnails Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1210-medium-.jpg   Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1213-medium-.jpg   Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1215-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Finally, I prepared the iPhone docking station to be mounted on the aluminium bracket. I used 3 double sided tape to mount it securely. You possible can also screw it in, but I prefer not to drill and possible damage the docking. I tore off the docking's rubber base and then attached 3 double tapes underneath it. I then secured the docking station to the bracket and I felt that its strong enough. Final product is as shown below. I like it and the positioning is ideal for me to change the songs, view Google maps, as well as use it for handsfree phone. Best of all, the sound is excellent! Enjoy...

Attached Thumbnails Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1220-medium-.jpg   Installed Amp, Sub, speakers. DIY: iPhone dock-cimg1221-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice diy dock

Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you cut that piece of drilled aluminum?