Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Unsatisfied with iSimple Kit. Very mad right now.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Unsatisfied with iSimple Kit. Very mad right now.

I purchased an iSimple car kit (Peripheral iSimple Media Gateway for NI1) from icarkits.com for around $159....They insured me it worked with the Bose stereo factory system...after two weeks i finally got it installed at Best Buy and dude,

1) The quality is NOTHING like radio...First of all...there is little to NO base at all, depending on the song....

2) it's HORRIBLE to navigate through...i mean HORRRIBLE....you can't even use the "ipod" feature on your actual iphone to make searching/browsing easier..

3) Tryin to change your audio controls (bass, treble, fade, balance, etc)....is impossible...you cannot change them...because once you've pressed the button down, the screen goes away in like .1 seconds or less...and i've managed to change the bass back up to 5...and there is NO change...

Poor product (IMO)...I would not recommend..I'm currently researching how to take this sh*t back. Pre-warning to all my G35 guys out there..

The following users liked this post:
Alexus-Kia (07-20-2014)
Old 03-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How do you know it's not the install? Personally i would never let Best buy install my stuff.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kao1
How do you know it's not the install? Personally i would never let Best buy install my stuff.
I agree. I've been in the car audio field for 20 years and the installers at BB are the worst. Before you go and try to send it back try bringing it to a reputable independent shop and make sure it's installed properly.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
also, you can use the equalizer on your iphone to boost up the bass on your stereo. I would def think it was a problem with the install.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
BB installers are NOT the worst.
I had an alarm/remote start put in by them in a previous car and it still works today.

Its the persons fault for not talking to your installer before you let them work on your car.

Always talk to your installer so you can get what you want and make sure they know what they are doing

ANY shop can mess up any car.

It depends on the installer and his skills.

That would be like wanting to get the floors in your house done and not looking at the carpenters work before hand.

back on subject.....

Is the signal transmitted via FM signal?
If so that may be the problem

Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 AM
why would it be install? It plays....it does what it's supposed to do...I dont think it's install..i think it's product..besides..i literally have 2 days left before i can return it...they have this 30 day policy..and best buy didnt havce the right firmware for the device, so since the closest best buy to me is an hour away...i have to go on weekends..it took me two weeks to get this thing installed...and im runnnnnnnnning out of time..

It's not an FM transmitter...hooks up behind the headunit

Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by gomd3
also, you can use the equalizer on your iphone to boost up the bass on your stereo. I would def think it was a problem with the install.
tried this...and it just sounds muffled....not nearly as good as the factory radio, or CD..what other options would/could i have for playing an iPhone through the factory speakers? i just get tired of swapping CD's...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey man. You def. have to watch the installer, not the place you got it done. Best Buy has a lot of half a$$ hacks that don't care and will do the bare minimum to make your equipment work. There still are a few good guys out there working for places like Best Buy that will take care of your car and make sure things work out correctly. How do I know this? Because I still work for Best Buy, installing car audio equipment part time. I take pride in my work and know what I'm doing.

Now, as far as ISimples. I hate them. They don't always work on what they are supposed to. sometimes they will plug in and you still get nothing out of them. but what you have sounds like the product or the installer was rushing and bent a pin on the actual harness. Or they didn't set the dipswitches correctly on the box itself.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
But shouldnt it be the product if it plays? i mean, im a newbie at this sorta stuff, but my theory is "if it works, it was connected properly". ya know? So the dipswitches should have been turned on/off in a certain way or what? Are you saying i should be hearing All my BOSE Bass ?? or what? i talked to them earlier on the pohone, they emailed me a return policy thing..so i need to know asap what to do , time is running out on the 30-day guarantee thing..(return policy)

Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
You should hear audio as clear as a cd. If not, like I said it could be improper dip switch settings. The Isimple box has 8 or 9 dipswitches that have to be set a certain way when these things are hooked up. Try getting the right settings first. The manual should have the correct settings. Now to the other point I made. If the dipswitches are right, then it could be a bent pin in the harness. If a pin bends and either touches another pin or is just not connected it can cause improper function to the unit. If no pins are bent and you checked your dipswitches, make sure the connections are fully plugged in. If you have them check all this and it still does it, it's the unit.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Every other review i have seen for this product has been decent (no infiniti reviews tho). I have been looking to get one of these for my 05 Sedan. Anyone else have this product?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by chrischil
tried this...and it just sounds muffled....not nearly as good as the factory radio, or CD..what other options would/could i have for playing an iPhone through the factory speakers? i just get tired of swapping CD's...
This is what I used, very simple plug into the back of the headunit, then connect an AV Ipod cable to it and your set to go... This is by far the cheapest solution
now if you want to control the ipod through your steering controls you'll need the higher end one, around $150

Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
I installed mine myself a few weeks ago and love it. Navigating through the ipod is a bit of a pain sometimes, especially when you have over 150 artists and are trying to get to like Y or towards the end, but I have gotten used to it. You can also put it in aux1 mode and still control the ipod skip feature with the steering wheel, and you can control your ipod, but it wont display song info, but if youre controlling your ipod its probably visible so it may not matter.

I would assume BB didn't install it incorrectly, since it was such a straight forward install. You shouldnt expect CD quality since they are compressed mp3s, but you should have the same clarity as a cd. The quality should be between the two.

What kind of problems is it giving you? What does it sound like, just saying horrible doesnt give us anything to go off of. As far as bass goes, I did find that it helped to turn on bass boost in the eq setting on my ipod. Also, make sure you are using quality mp3s when testing it. If you have poor quality, low bit rate mp3s, you cant expect a whole lot in the first place.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 PM
the problem guys is that its not loud enough...its a clear sound..not hissing or cracking...its just not loud....there's no bass....it doesnt sound like the stock radio/cd...even when I get a call, the song stops and my ringtone comes through the stereo speakers as LOUD and STOCK!! It sounds awesome when my phone rings, but back in the ipod mode...its not good

Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Matthaios
I installed mine myself a few weeks ago and love it. Navigating through the ipod is a bit of a pain sometimes, especially when you have over 150 artists and are trying to get to like Y or towards the end, but I have gotten used to it. You can also put it in aux1 mode and still control the ipod skip feature with the steering wheel, and you can control your ipod, but it wont display song info, but if youre controlling your ipod its probably visible so it may not matter.

I would assume BB didn't install it incorrectly, since it was such a straight forward install. You shouldnt expect CD quality since they are compressed mp3s, but you should have the same clarity as a cd. The quality should be between the two.

What kind of problems is it giving you? What does it sound like, just saying horrible doesnt give us anything to go off of. As far as bass goes, I did find that it helped to turn on bass boost in the eq setting on my ipod. Also, make sure you are using quality mp3s when testing it. If you have poor quality, low bit rate mp3s, you cant expect a whole lot in the first place.

I've been burning CDs from the same MP3's since i first got the car 3 months ago...and those CDs sound awesome!!! Great stereo sound...for example...Kanye's 808's & heartbreaks CD gives me a back massage on level (12) stock stereo....but....with the iSimple...its like NO back massage....even at level (24).....windows down on the interstate, you can barely hear..sounds like it's coming from like front speakers or something....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unsatisfied with iSimple Kit. Very mad right now.