Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant on oem bose system.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
The most simplest answer for this is... Bose engineered the audio setup in the G35 to have a flat sound.
NO Highs, No LOWS........Must be BOSE!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by DEEZBLUBALLZ
NO Highs, No LOWS........Must be BOSE!
Yep, that was EXACTLY the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 AM
The signal coming directly from the Bose HU was anything but a flat signal. Just because it is a differential-balanced signal doesn't make it flat, its just another way to transmit the signal over distance with minimal noise intereference.

"All high and no lows, gotta be Bose"? Yea thats it. It sounded the same way Pre or Post Bose amp. With just the HU through the LC6 the front speakers were missing any sort of mid to speak of. It made my ears bleed. I wired and re-wired it so many times trying to get it to sound good. Finally as stated above I caught the signal post Bose amp. Front speakers got the summed signal from the front and sub, rear speakers got the rear signal unsummed, and the subs got the sub signal. This is the 'only' way it would sound good. And it does. I have experimented with this so many times, even gave it to the pro's when my frustration levels peaked with no success. Maybe my car is cursed, I dont know. I am well versed in electronic repairs and checked and double checked everything. Reading these forums and being told that the HU gives a flat signal simply wasnt the case, my ears dont lie. The so called flat signal from the HU sounded terrible to me, maybe others just dont pay enough attention to the sound and detail as I do. It was fine for say rap, where its all vocals and bass. But with rock and metal there was no thickness to the guitars at all. The way it sounds now is leaps and bounds beyond the so called 'flat signal' from the HU. Like stated prior, I can post pics of the install. Anything so that someone else doesn't have to suffer as I did with this. Or if you want to hear / see it in person I am more than happy let you. I am in Austin, Tx.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by donpisto
The most simplest answer for this is... Bose engineered the audio setup in the G35 to have a flat sound.
This is a correct statement, and holds true if you use all the Bose equipment. Start throwing in aftermarket high quality speakers and then things get complicated. I could have solved all my issues with an aftermarket HU. Why I didnt, I dont know. Probably because I am a glutton for punishment, but whatever.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hurt_Locker
This is a correct statement, and holds true if you use all the Bose equipment. Start throwing in aftermarket high quality speakers and then things get complicated. I could have solved all my issues with an aftermarket HU. Why I didnt, I dont know. Probably because I am a glutton for punishment, but whatever.
That's probably what I would end up doing.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2002 Nissan Altima had an option for a Bose or something called NDSS. Everyone with the NDSS system was happy, whoever had the Bose was posting up threads like this. I guess we all know Bose < Cheaper Brand

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
The signal coming directly from the Bose HU was anything but a flat signal. Just because it is a differential-balanced signal doesn't make it flat, its just another way to transmit the signal over distance with minimal noise intereference.

"All high and no lows, gotta be Bose"? Yea thats it. It sounded the same way Pre or Post Bose amp. With just the HU through the LC6 the front speakers were missing any sort of mid to speak of. It made my ears bleed. I wired and re-wired it so many times trying to get it to sound good. Finally as stated above I caught the signal post Bose amp. Front speakers got the summed signal from the front and sub, rear speakers got the rear signal unsummed, and the subs got the sub signal. This is the 'only' way it would sound good. And it does. I have experimented with this so many times, even gave it to the pro's when my frustration levels peaked with no success. Maybe my car is cursed, I dont know. I am well versed in electronic repairs and checked and double checked everything. Reading these forums and being told that the HU gives a flat signal simply wasnt the case, my ears dont lie. The so called flat signal from the HU sounded terrible to me, maybe others just dont pay enough attention to the sound and detail as I do. It was fine for say rap, where its all vocals and bass. But with rock and metal there was no thickness to the guitars at all. The way it sounds now is leaps and bounds beyond the so called 'flat signal' from the HU. Like stated prior, I can post pics of the install. Anything so that someone else doesn't have to suffer as I did with this. Or if you want to hear / see it in person I am more than happy let you. I am in Austin, Tx.
I never said that because the outputs from the HU are differential balanced means that it's a flat signal. The signal coming from the stock HU IS flat, as was tested here http://oeinterface.com/.

I am having a hard time believing that you have stellar sound coming from the bose system as described...because you MUST be using an external amp, or something is seriously messed up. What you are describing is that you took a LOC (which is what the lc6i is) and took the high level, heavily eq'd speaker level inputs, summed those inputs through the LOC, and then had enough power to get the speakers to put out decent volume after the LOC has converted that high power signal into a RCA, low voltage signal. Unless I am missing something, it doesn't add up...

So, do you have an amp?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
please post pics...i am interested in seeing your wiring

Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes I am running two amps, one for the Mids/Highs and one for the Subs. I am catching the signal post Bose amp and through the LOC. Yes catching the signal post Bose does not require the LC6i, but I use the summing feature. I had purchased the LC6 to convert the signal directly from the Bose HU originally. But as stated the sound was not good. The front suffered from severe lack of mids. At the volume I listen it did not have depth whatsoever. Just highs. So that led to the constant experimentation to get it to the way it is now. I will post pics tomorrow of how it is wired. I am not saying you or anyone is wrong about the Bose signal straight from the HU being flat, but to me it was terrible. Even an EQX couldn't help it, or any settings with the Bose Bass and Treble. As well as the iPhones EQ. Nothing worked. I literally spent weeks working on this.

Amp Rack

Focal CA1 Doors

The sound deadening and wire running lengths I went to

Will remove the covers tomorrow for additional wiring. The LC6i us mounted on top of the Bose Amp.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Yea it sucks *****, no doubt. Glad mine is long gone.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 PM
well, it's a shame that you went through all of this to defend the bose "system" when all you still have is the HU and amp... most of the comments made were directed to the system as a whole...i.e. amp, hu, and speakers....

i would sure hope that after you bought two amps and a loc, that your system sounds better....

fyi, your sound sucked when you tapped the LC6i PRE-AMP, because the outputs don't need a LOC at all....essentially you are converting low level inputs into low level inputs, thus degrading the audio source more and introducing more noise. what you can use now is the rockford balance line driver ( i think it's the "BLT", ) and it will convert the balanced diff outputs to regualr inputs that your amps can use. You will not have to sum anything, as the front outputs are full and flat...no eq, and no crossovers in any of the frequencies.

alternatively, and for best noise rejection, you can use the balanced diff outputs from the HU and find an amp like zapco, JL, arc (i think), that accept balanced differential inputs. You will be able to bypass the stock amp, and thus should be able to bring the shine out of your system even more.

I hope this helps, and if anyone else is confused, please ask questions....I will try to answer the best of my ability.

For anyone wanting to add amps but not replace the stock HU, DO NOT USE LOC's as they will degrade the signal and introduce noise. (this ONLY applies to the "Bose" audio systems)

Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 AM
My buddy had a Buick Regal GS with the Monsoon system -- i agree, it was truly an amazing system -- great highs and lows...

Old 09-03-2009, 02:11 AM
I am by no means defending Bose systems. Bose sells high end home audio and thus should be expected that a luxury car with the Bose audio should be an equivalent. Secondly the amps I purchased did not accept the diff-balanced inputs. And yes, you would be correct in pointing out that straight from the HU I changed low level inputs to low level inputs, but that isnt all, it also changed the diff-balanced signal to single-ended which is what the amps I have require. LOC's do complicate matters and induce noise if care is not taken. But the end result after all the pain gone through, I am more than happy with the results. I would have rather went through it to gain the experience I will never forget than just settle. I did learn a lot and to me, couldn't be happier with the sound.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Hurt_Locker
Bose sells overpriced, unperforming home audio and thus should be expected that a luxury car with the Bose audio should be an equivalent.
Fixed that typo for you.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:43 AM
I see what you did there