Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Best Double Din Kit WITHOUT navi!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Double Din Kit WITHOUT navi!

Hey guys,

before anyone says anything, I DID A SEARCH. and results were either too old or non-existent.

Anyways, I'm looking into converting to a double din head unit soon for my 07 g35, but I wanted some opinions on head units..

From a search, it seemed like everyone put navi in their head unit and whatnot, and to be honest, I don't need navi because I have a pretty decent sense of direction and more importantly an iphone.

SO

What do you guys think is the best option(s) out there for a double din head unit WITHOUT navigation? I like the Kenwood 8120 a lot but honestly don't need to shelling out the extra cash for things like navi which i won't use.

Maybe the pioneer AVH-P4100DVD?

help me out, thanks!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the Kenwood DDX896 when it comes out? It looks like a DNX9960 without the nav.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
wow, yeah that looks pretty sick. extremely pricey though for a double din without any navigation.. but I guess you gotta pay top dollar for the latest...

my only problem is I don't like buying things when its the first generation of it or first off the line because they often have problems (see iphone 1st gen)

Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jkchang10
Hey guys,

before anyone says anything, I DID A SEARCH. and results were either too old or non-existent.

Anyways, I'm looking into converting to a double din head unit soon for my 07 g35, but I wanted some opinions on head units..

From a search, it seemed like everyone put navi in their head unit and whatnot, and to be honest, I don't need navi because I have a pretty decent sense of direction and more importantly an iphone.

SO

What do you guys think is the best option(s) out there for a double din head unit WITHOUT navigation? I like the Kenwood 8120 a lot but honestly don't need to shelling out the extra cash for things like navi which i won't use.

Maybe the pioneer AVH-P4100DVD?

help me out, thanks!
Check it:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...avh-p4100.html

Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Hold out for the P4200 if you're going Pioneer w/o Navi. It gives you the option to add it in the future.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Any suggestions for a head unit other than pioneer? Kenwood?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

With most car audio manufacturers, if you want the best it has nav.
Looking for a top-tier headunit without nav these days is analogous to searching for a supermodel with horrible breasts.

Now, you want put a $ modifier on there, it's a little bit easier to make recommendations, but when you just say "Best" and the headunits that are exactly the same as the non-navi ones are only about $100 different, it's hard to not go with a unit that'll have a lot more updated POIs and features than the stock navigation.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't need nav.. do you need the double din?

Pioneer DEX-P99RS

Old 02-14-2010, 09:38 PM
double din is necessary for the nice 7' screen.

not to mention dvd playback, iphone video playback, etc.

and i know what u mean wrathernaut, but there are still some really nice double dins non nav (like the pioneer P4200) out there.

Its not a matter of having stock navigation or anything. Its just pointless because I have a good sense of direction and and iphone and I'm not gonna spend extra money on something id never use

Old 02-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

While the 4200 is good, it isn't near as good as the Z110 or X920BT.
Which is why I say, if you want the best double din without navi *Under $xxx" you can get an answer, but to just say the best WITHOUT navi limits you to units that aren't as good as the best WITH navi. So the best unit without navi is the best unit period, and you just pretend the navi isn't there.

Just pretend the extra cost of the best unit is in the other features, like voice control of iPod, higher-volt preouts, better design, longer warranty.

I've got great sense of direction and usually use google maps if I go somewhere I don't know.

It's using it in an unfamiliar place on a road trip to find where food is or some obscure street that I find it's worth paying the extra $100 or so that I consider the navigation to be a premium over the already premium features of a "flagship" unit. Half the time I use mine as a nice geolocated yellow pages.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Alright, makes plenty of sense, thanks

I also tried doing some searches but no luck, so does anyone know how much of a difference it is to install into an 07 g35 coupe vs the 03-04 install? Cause I looked at the 03-04 install guide and it seems a lot more complex..

basically, does anyone have a double din install guide for an 07 (basically 05+) g35 coupe?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes there is one, and I've always had trouble finding it. It was hyperlinked to a PDF somewhere.
I'll keep searching but the install is basically the same, but the 05/06 is a bit easier, since the sides don't wrap the vents.
The clock part is different, you pull the top straight backwards, to the rear of the car while pushing the sides of the black plastic piece right under outwards, expanding the little ball joint clips that hold the shade piece in place. That black plastic piece then just gets pried up with a trim removal tool, or rigid nylon spatula.

If I can find the guide, I'll post in here with the link. If I can't find it, I may have it saved to my PC that I'll have access to in about 2 hours or so.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
DDX814, no question.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
yeah its definitely broken =( i found that link in my search but it doesnt work..

im hoping someone saved a pdf or something..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Double Din Kit WITHOUT navi!