Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^hmmmm, not sure, prob not.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Antenna amp lead

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Did you connect *both* the antenna amp and amplifier turn on to the headunit's remote power wire?
Which wire is the antenna amp turn on?

EDIT: Never mind! Found answer. But in case anyone else needs it, it's the blue wire on the Metra wire adapter.

Last edited by 88irocvert; 09-07-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Found answer
Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Hey all you audio gurus, I was wondering if this project should be left to the experts because i see all these videos about grounding this wire, splicing this wire, extending these wires?? I have no idea how to do any of that but i am willing to learn if its not too hard. So far it seems like for my 2003.5 bose sedan i need

-Jdm dd kit
-Trim ring
-PAC NIS 2 ( looks to be a plug n play as opposed to grounding wires and
cutting wires with the 707551 method which i have no experience at)
-Pac Swi for steering wheel control
-Metra Antenna wire thing
-Head Unit Itself

Will i be needing any extra wires to ground?? Is the pac swi plug n play? Is the pac NIS2 truly plug n play where no grounding, splicing, or sodering needed? This task seems daunting but i want my radio back and the ability to turn off my AC before it becomes winter here in NY. Thanks for any help in advance guys

Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
PAC SWI is the most complex bit, as you have to solder in a couple of resistors and such. Definitely the least plug & play of the installation.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Wow thanks for the quick repsonse! So besides the soldering required for the resistors on the Pac-swi everything else is just plug n play correct?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, if by plug, you mean connecting wires in wire nuts or soldering them, pretty much. There's some slight cutting of the trim ring to fill the gap, or if you're trying for a perfect flush install, you'll drill new holes in the bracket, but with all the guides online, if you're not a klutz and can follow instructions, and patient enough to ask questions and wait for an answer instead of crossing your fingers and guessing, it's a straightforward install.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

This board is full of people who did their first install here with the help from this guide and posting quick questions (or PM'ing me). If I didn't have to empty my inbox every month or so, I could probably put together a lengthy list of radio virgins who went for this double din for their first time and came out with a clean install.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My stock '03 Coupe Bose is starting to give symptoms of the dreaded HVAC/Bose HU combined failure - intermittent no display on radio combined with dead/unresponsive HVAC control buttons. The HVAC is stuck on 60/auto, so it's no real problem right now, but I'm going to need defrost in a month or so.

So the question is: If I just replace the system using an aftermarket DD and the Metra kit, does that bypass/solve the HVAC issue also, or do I still have to replace that bad factory circuit board anyway?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Metra kit with aftermarket DD replaces the bad circuit and solves your problem.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm upgrading from the Metra kit to the JDM Kit. I just received it and it's a much nicer piece and the a/c controls are much better. Where's the antenna amp located? The previous owner cut a bunch of wires on the bose amp connection and in the trunk which makes me concerned that, even after connecting the wires at the head unit, the antenna amp won't work. Any info?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Antenna amp is in the driver's side c-pillar, and its power wire and such all go along the roofline, not through the trunk at all.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I have an 03 G35 coupe with the bose HU and speakers and factory Nav...

I am going to be buying a Pioneer P4200DVD and would like to keep the Nav. voice.
I see that the wiring diagram that shows how to keep the factory Nav's voice is using the Metra wiring harness. But I would like to use the PAC ROEM NIS 2 to avoid the potential "quietness" of volume that a lot of 2003 G35 owners are experiencing. Would the wiring diagram work with the PAC ROEM NIS2?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Unleaded91
I have an 03 G35 coupe with the bose HU and speakers and factory Nav...

I am going to be buying a Pioneer P4200DVD and would like to keep the Nav. voice.
I see that the wiring diagram that shows how to keep the factory Nav's voice is using the Metra wiring harness. But I would like to use the PAC ROEM NIS 2 to avoid the potential "quietness" of volume that a lot of 2003 G35 owners are experiencing. Would the wiring diagram work with the PAC ROEM NIS2?

Thanks.
Yes, but, of course the RCA terminals (or lack thereof) will be different. Just treat the left front inputs of the PAC ROEM-NIS2 as the white male RCA of the Metra 70-7551 harness.

And although a couple people have said they've used this to keep their voice now, nobody's taken the time to post up pictures of the wired up relay, nor video of the voice actually in operation after install (although one gave the diagram to his installer, so he didn't do it himself). Please do so if you do this

Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yes, but, of course the RCA terminals (or lack thereof) will be different. Just treat the left front inputs of the PAC ROEM-NIS2 as the white male RCA of the Metra 70-7551 harness.

And although a couple people have said they've used this to keep their voice now, nobody's taken the time to post up pictures of the wired up relay, nor video of the voice actually in operation after install (although one gave the diagram to his installer, so he didn't do it himself). Please do so if you do this
Thanks for the quick response.

I promise I will post a picture of the wiring(if not a video) and the voice in operation so everyone will see once I do my install.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm hoping I can solve my problem quickly, since my car is sitting in pieces. Ok here's my issue. I have a Pioneer Avic Z2 in my 2003 G35 coupe. I'm currently installing a SWI-PS 1.6.8 steering control module, but I can't get it to work. I can get it as far as the learn mode. It's programmed to version 3, but once I get it to the steps where it begins to learn my buttons (such as Vol up, Vol down, etc) it won't work. Am I doing something wrong? I have the resistors wired in, but could they be wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List