Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by chubbza5
Hey I figure you're the expert here and wanted to ask you directly. I followed your guide to the letter, with the exception of the speed sensor and reverse trigger since I won't be using backup camera. Used all the parts you recommended to retain the Bose amp in our 2003 g35 coupe.

The issue is, the nav screen isn't working now, at all.
When the key is set to on, the stock DVD for nav spins up, then emits two short beeps. I can remove the maps DVD fine, reinserts fine. I reconnected everything plug wise, remembered the grounding strap on the NAV screen and remembered the large nav plug.

There are two unused white connectors that were used in the stock radio, m39 which I used to tap steering wheel controls (BTW power doesn't work) and one other. Do these need to be utilized or anything?

I triple checked the ribbon cables were still inserted, checked that I didn't accidentally loosen the connections on the DVD drive while taking glove box out, and all plugs (a/C and nav controls, and nav main connector are firmly in place.) I even disconnected (-) battery cable hoping to have it relearn it's peripherals with no luck.

I feel bad because this is my girlfriend's car and it appears to her that I broke it.

Please if you have any info I really would appreciate it. I've searched a lot and the conclusion everyone has when experiencing a dead NAV screen is a bad resistor in the DVD unit or something like that, but I refuse to accept that a hardware failure just coincidentally took place at the exact same time I went and basically rewired the central nervous system of the A/V system in the car. It has always worked 100% until I replaced the stock radio (experiencing dreaded stuck a/c, dead radio symptoms) with a nice Pioneer DD unit.

I would be willing to pay you if we can get this resolved, I just don't like giving her something that's not 100% I've been in the car audio game for a decade and have put in 50k systems, so some POS NAV screen from '03 isn't going to stop me.

I looked at the power diagrams and it doesn't look like anything was interrupted, I can't understand the rest of them well enough to say whether the system was affected or not by removing the stock head unit.
Answered in PM, but here as well for anyone else who's interested.
-----------------------
Easy bits first - most aftermarket radios don't use the power for anything, but the ASWC-1 can be easily reprogrammed with an android phone with the right cable (USB-OTG) and the ASWC app. I have my power button mapped as MUTE.

The extra wires on the M39 are nav voice related (other stuff can go through there, depending on other options as well), so they will not be used.

The factory navigation system should be fully functional (minus voice prompts) without a radio installed at all.

This may help out - Navigation system troubleshooting starts on page 73, but most of that assumes the display is working. You should probably start with the basics - power and ground circuits, which begin on page 82. My first guess would be that it's fuse related, but I don't think the nav display is on its own power circuit, so more likely a wire on the harness isn't right.

http://www.psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/2003/av.pdf

Old 06-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been meaning to change out the stock HU with one of those joying double din units (cheap Chinese HU) in my 04' G35 sedan. I just have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
1) I can hear a loud popping noise coming from the speakers but I don't get any sound when playing music/radio, what could be causing this?
2) The HVAC controls still work fine and the HU display works, could it be that the bose amp is toast?
3) Are there any amps that I could just directly swap with the stock bose amp? what specs should I be looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Old 06-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by jme715
I've been meaning to change out the stock HU with one of those joying double din units (cheap Chinese HU) in my 04' G35 sedan. I just have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
1) I can hear a loud popping noise coming from the speakers but I don't get any sound when playing music/radio, what could be causing this?
2) The HVAC controls still work fine and the HU display works, could it be that the bose amp is toast?
3) Are there any amps that I could just directly swap with the stock bose amp? what specs should I be looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers
1) Amp
2) Probably
3) If you swap the headunit too, any six-channel amp will work, you do need to run a new power and ground wire, so no "direct swap".

Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the response Wrathernaut.
I'm going to try and see if I can replace the capacitors on the amp before I invest hundreds into this.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thanks for the response Wrathernaut.
I'm going to try and see if I can replace the capacitors on the amp before I invest hundreds into this.
If you're replacing the factory headunit, there's zero reason to keep the low-powered bose amp. You'd have to use a $40 adapter just to keep it going even after repairing it, $40 better put towards a new amp.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If you're replacing the factory headunit, there's zero reason to keep the low-powered bose amp. You'd have to use a $40 adapter just to keep it going even after repairing it, $40 better put towards a new amp.
Well if I was still driving the car, I would have changed the whole audio system, but now that my mom is driving it she just needs it to work. So, if I can get the amp working then I won't bother replacing the HU too.
In case it doesn't work though, what are some amps you'd recommend?

Old 06-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well if I was still driving the car, I would have changed the whole audio system, but now that my mom is driving it she just needs it to work. So, if I can get the amp working then I won't bother replacing the HU too.
In case it doesn't work though, what are some amps you'd recommend?
With a swapped headunit, Rockford Fosgate are a good way to go. They deliver the power they advertise and don't mess with the sound. I'm actually quite happy with the one in my wife's car, and would absolutely buy it over a more expensive JL. If you keep the bose headunit, JL's a good way to go, since they accept differential-balanced audio signals, but are pricey.

If you're parked with the car off, you *may* be able to hear a difference between them if you've got some really good speakers attached, but one the engine is running and especially with road/wind noise in play, you're not going to tell them apart.

Side note: my JL 500/1 seems to have crapped out on me for the second time.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the main difference between the non nav and nav JDM kit? Aside from the obvious, one works with nav and one doesn't...

I accidentally purchased the W/ Nav when I don't have navigation.. Will it look any different? I don't mind the extra $30.00 I spent but I'd definitely rather return it if it's going to look any different.

ps: If I bought an AVH-X3800BHS do I HAVE to get a new amp and or speakers?

Last edited by forestzemel; 06-22-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by forestzemel
What's the main difference between the non nav and nav JDM kit? Aside from the obvious, one works with nav and one doesn't...

I accidentally purchased the W/ Nav when I don't have navigation.. Will it look any different? I don't mind the extra $30.00 I spent but I'd definitely rather return it if it's going to look any different.

ps: If I bought an AVH-X3800BHS do I HAVE to get a new amp and or speakers?
Nav is about 1/8 inch shorter. It'll have a slight gap between the dash cubby lid and the radio trim. Nobody will notice who isn't very observant and knows G35s well.

Not required to add an amp or speakers, but if you had the bose system before, it's highly recommended, since the bose amp is crap. Bose speakers aren't great either.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Nav is about 1/8 inch shorter. It'll have a slight gap between the dash cubby lid and the radio trim. Nobody will notice who isn't very observant and knows G35s well.

Not required to add an amp or speakers, but if you had the bose system before, it's highly recommended, since the bose amp is crap. Bose speakers aren't great either.
Hey Wrather! Thanks so much for the reply.

Do you have a suggestion for a reasonably priced but sufficient amp? I'm already over $600.00 and don't still going to pay for an install. Not looking to get up to a grand if I don't have to haha.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Hey Wrather! Thanks so much for the reply.

Do you have a suggestion for a reasonably priced but sufficient amp? I'm already over $600.00 and don't still going to pay for an install. Not looking to get up to a grand if I don't have to haha.
Once road/wind noise is factored in, you won't hear any of the fine differences between a great amp and a good amp. So long as they actually output their advertised power, you're good. For this reason, I recommend going rockford fosgate unless you're building something for a car show that has to look more impressive than how it sounds at speed. I have JL in my car and wish I'd saved the money... especially since my JL 500/1 that died after 2 months (repaired under warranty) just died again after about 5 years... Rockford Fosgate in the wife's car hasn't had a single issue.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Once road/wind noise is factored in, you won't hear any of the fine differences between a great amp and a good amp. So long as they actually output their advertised power, you're good. For this reason, I recommend going rockford fosgate unless you're building something for a car show that has to look more impressive than how it sounds at speed. I have JL in my car and wish I'd saved the money... especially since my JL 500/1 that died after 2 months (repaired under warranty) just died again after about 5 years... Rockford Fosgate in the wife's car hasn't had a single issue.
Awesome, I appreciate it! So is something like this a little too cheapy? I won't have aftermarket speakers for a while.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R250...te-R250X4.html

Old 06-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Awesome, I appreciate it! So is something like this a little too cheapy? I won't have aftermarket speakers for a while.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R250...te-R250X4.html
It'll do fine to power the stock speakers, but you'll want about 150w per channel for a good pair of aftermarket speakers.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Just bought a 2004 G35 that came equipped with a Pioneer AVIC that replaced the stock Bose HU. I've got a good deal on an AVH-4100NEX that I'd like to put in so I can use Google Auto. Purchased a PAC-ROEM since I wasn't sure what the PO had used but it looks like a nightmare when I pulled the unit to check what was back there. He had the antenna adaptor connected to some Pioneer component that I can't tell what it did, and a badly wired ASWC-1 that I'll be replacing and cleaning up the butchered hack wiring.

My question is that now that I'm reading through the rest of the post it sounds like maybe I should replace the amp while I'm at it since the stock Bose aren't great, however, if I don't do it now, what extra work should I do this weekend to make replacing it later easier? Also, where is the stock amp in this car?

Edit:

Also, sorry, but if I do go with a new amp like a the Rockford Punch 4ch, is the PAC-ROEM still the right choice for the harness?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by iyeager
Just bought a 2004 G35 that came equipped with a Pioneer AVIC that replaced the stock Bose HU. I've got a good deal on an AVH-4100NEX that I'd like to put in so I can use Google Auto. Purchased a PAC-ROEM since I wasn't sure what the PO had used but it looks like a nightmare when I pulled the unit to check what was back there. He had the antenna adaptor connected to some Pioneer component that I can't tell what it did, and a badly wired ASWC-1 that I'll be replacing and cleaning up the butchered hack wiring.

My question is that now that I'm reading through the rest of the post it sounds like maybe I should replace the amp while I'm at it since the stock Bose aren't great, however, if I don't do it now, what extra work should I do this weekend to make replacing it later easier? Also, where is the stock amp in this car?

Edit:

Also, sorry, but if I do go with a new amp like a the Rockford Punch 4ch, is the PAC-ROEM still the right choice for the harness?
Antenna almost certainly was plugged into an HD FM Receiver, but the 4100NEX has that built in. The ASWC-1 is still a great unit for steering wheel control, so no need to replace that, just go through the re-learn procedure when the 4100NEX is in.

For future-proofing, just get some RCA cables long enough to reach the trunk, and connect them up to the low-level outputs on the 4100NEX. You'll also want to run a remote power signal wire. Even more future-proofing can be done by running another RCA for the backup camera and the reverse signal wire. Run all these RCAs and signal wires either all the way to the trunk, or just to the dead space under the center armrest console. There's a surprising amount of room.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List