Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Audio Controls Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So the results to my post above about replacing the clock spring. First thanks again to the video and youtubes on how to replace the spring. The job should take about 20 minutes but I ran into a couple of issues that I believe to be self-induced. First I stripped one of the safety screws with the T30 Torx. I found the screw had lock-tight on it from top to bottom and was very tight. I resolved that with my extractor socket. The 2nd issue was I had bought a clock spring off of Ebay for $80. They said it would fit a 2005 G35 Sedan but I found issues with the molded body of the spring. My left and right signals did not fit properly and I had to alter them. If I purchased the spring form the Dealer I probably wouldn't have had that issue. I was prepared to have a fight with the steering wheel but found it came off surprisingly easy.

So the results of changing the spring is that now the horn works, the radio controls work and the cruise control works with the exception of that when I turn on a blinker, the cruise control disengages. This was also an issue prior to the spring change just before the cruise control completely died.

A new issue arose right after the spring change. I have a loud grungy noise then a brake lock when I begin to drive. The VDC and SLIP light come on and can't be turned off but the car then drives ok. So after I start the car and before I drive I turn the VDC off and it drives fine. When changing out the clock spring, on the back there is a black circular item that has to be removed and transferred to the new spring. I don't know what it is but I remember reading on it that it says something to do with the brakes. Maybe it part of the issue, maybe not. I glanced at a couple threads on this site and the system may just be telling me I need new brake pads. The fluid is full. I'll have to search more threads for the answer to this.

Last edited by Acagrill; 01-05-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Acagrill
So the results to my post above about replacing the clock spring. First thanks again to the video and youtubes on how to replace the spring. The job should take about 20 minutes but I ran into a couple of issues that I believe to be self-induced. First I stripped one of the safety screws with the T30 Torx. I found the screw had lock-tight on it from top to bottom and was very tight. I resolved that with my extractor socket. The 2nd issue was I had bought a clock spring off of Ebay for $80. They said it would fit a 2005 G35 Sedan but I found issues with the molded body of the spring. My left and right signals did not fit properly and I had to alter them. If I purchased the spring form the Dealer I probably wouldn't have had that issue. I was prepared to have a fight with the steering wheel but found it came off surprisingly easy.

So the results of changing the spring is that now the horn works, the radio controls work and the cruise control works with the exception of that when I turn on a blinker, the cruise control disengages. This was also an issue prior to the spring change just before the cruise control completely died.

A new issue arose right after the spring change. I have a loud grungy noise then a brake lock when I begin to drive. The VDC and SLIP light come on and can't be turned off but the car then drives ok. So after I start the car and before I drive I turn the VDC off and it drives fine. When changing out the clock spring, on the back there is a black circular item that has to be removed and transferred to the new spring. I don't know what it is but I remember reading on it that it says something to do with the brakes. Maybe it part of the issue, maybe not. I glanced at a couple threads on this site and the system may just be telling me I need new brake pads. The fluid is full. I'll have to search more threads for the answer to this.
Definitely check the brakes. Also, if the brakes are worn and somebody topped off the brake fluid, be ready to suck some out before you compress the caliper for the new pads, otherwise it'll overflow and brake fluid is terrible on paint.