Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

GROM USB Bluetooth Aux install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 6MT
GROM USB Bluetooth Aux install

I installed a GROM USB Bluetooth Aux adapter in my 03 sedan with factory Bose. I thought I'd post about it since I haven't found too much info on the GROM on the forum. The pictures aren't the best since I used my phone, however, they're good enough to get the idea. I don't care much for the Bose, but one thing at a time, and this adapter was a good place to start since if I decide to change anything, I'll likely go the amp and speaker route, and retain the factory head unit. I wanted a relatively clean install that looks factory, with no exposed cables or things like that, as I live in a city where property theft from inside cars is fairly high.

Here's the unit that I ordered, the Nissan Infiniti GROM USB/iPod interface adapter(GROM-USB2-NIS02). I got the aux. cable, and the Bluetooth adapter.
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...sb2-nis02.html

The kit is very complete, coming with all the accessories you need for installing. It came with a good quality USB extension cable. There is velcro for the unit as well as a mounting clip with two sided tape for the Bluetooth mic, and the mounting clip also has a small hole on the base for screw mounting.

The unit fit nicely in the bin above the head unit, so can be a good place to put it if you don't have factory nav, that way the USB can be easily accessed. There isn't enough cable on the harness to reach into the glove compartment, and I doubt it would reach the center console. For now I've just left the mic loose. I may mount it in the bin, or to the bottom side of the lid, but I haven't decided yet as I think I want to put a phone mount on the bottom side of the lid.

I put a hole in the bottom of the bin large enough to run the wiring harness out. The opening in the metal bracket was nicely positioned for this. A hole saw makes this a lot neater. It's a lot easier to unplug the factory harnesses and pull the unit out of the car.

The wiring harness plugs into the SAT port, and the existing SAT plug plugs into the female end on the harness. It also comes with a wire tap kit for power, as the unit required 12 V constant power.

Here's the unit installed and working with the dash put back together.

Both the installation and the operating instructions are very well written and easy to follow. There's also a quick reference card with basic controls. Pairing for Bluetooth is about as easy as most Bluetooth devices, just set your phone to discoverable, and GROM will come up on the list, then connect and it will pair.

For music, USB, Bluetooth stream, and aux are all about the same, and I'd say they're comparable to a CD on the factory Bose. For USB, artist and track names can be cycled by pressing Display. For Bluetooth stream and USB, track up/down works on both the head unit and steering wheel controls. Bluetooth and aux. will operate with a USB cable plugged into the USB, so it will work for charging/powering a device as well. This is great because if I do the bin mount for the phone I won't have to run a separate USB power adapter.

For phone calls, sound quality for the Bluetooth is good. I left myself a voicemail and I could barely tell it was Bluetooth. With calls I've made to people comments are good, and that's with the mic sitting in the bin. When a call comes in music playback mutes, and a ringtone plays through the speakers. You can answer calls by holding the track up button on the steering wheel, and hang up by holding track down, as well as your phone controls. When you hang up music playback resumes.

Very good operation altogether, as good as factory Bluetooth and some aftermarket head units.

Last edited by Creedence85; 11-11-2011 at 02:07 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Creedence85:
ErikNYC (08-26-2012), TGMcCoy (10-14-2012), Thruxtoned (01-12-2014), Wrathernaut (02-16-2013), Zack342 (12-29-2014)
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very good review, and having audio streaming + steering wheel control sealed the deal!

I just completed my install as well using the steps in: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...h-removal.html

The only part not clear from the forum and the documentation was which wire was the 12v constant voltage, so i've attached it for reference.

The following users liked this post:
Creedence85 (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM
G35 Sport Sedan 6MT
Glad it worked out for you. The steering wheel controls and streaming was definitely a major part of convincing me to go this route as well. I used it for a few months with steaming almost exclusive, but in the last few weeks have been trying the USB and enjoying it. I upgrade the speakers and amp back in the spring/early summer, and can now hear more of the sound quality reduction when using streaming, so the USB sounds as good as a CD. Most of the quality reduction is in the low end which I can compensate for by turning up the bass. Either way it's nice to have the option.

I seem to recall having issue finding the constant power wire in the documentation as well, but I double checked it with the factory service manual.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car doesn't have SAT, but it does have CAT. Is that enough to be compatible with this Grom kit? On the product, under the compatibility section, it states:
"Infiniti G35 2003-2007 (CAT/SAT should be on stereo)".

I'm not sure if that meant that it requires both, or if just either or. My g35 doesn't have SAT, but it does have the SAT(category) button.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Early 03's don't work, they were a unique radio. For everything else, there were only two different radios made per year - Bose and Non-Bose. Both made each year accept the sat adapter, and they all take any adapter made that takes advantage of that communication channel.

Having a SAT button only means you have a button with the letters S-A-T on it. Sadly it seems whatever button sheets were closer to the installer on the assembly line were put in, regardless of whether the car was unwired, wired for, or equipped with the satellite adapter. I'd check the trunk for the satellite adapter harness first, but chances are great that you don't have the wiring.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Early 03's don't work, they were a unique radio. For everything else, there were only two different radios made per year - Bose and Non-Bose. Both made each year accept the sat adapter, and they all take any adapter made that takes advantage of that communication channel.

Having a SAT button only means you have a button with the letters S-A-T on it. Sadly it seems whatever button sheets were closer to the installer on the assembly line were put in, regardless of whether the car was unwired, wired for, or equipped with the satellite adapter. I'd check the trunk for the satellite adapter harness first, but chances are great that you don't have the wiring.
I feel like this is a rehash... If only you guys were better about temp bans for those who cannot search.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I feel like this is a rehash... If only you guys were better about temp bans for those who cannot search.
Temporarily ban? I chose this thread not because its old, because it's still tangible/related to my question. I've done numerous searches, not just not this forum but on google as well to find the answer to my specific question. I found tons of forums thats shows how to install, whats the best and what not. It doesn't have the answer to my specific question. Prove me wrong if you can find a forum that answers my question, and I'll apologize. Other than that, like most people say, stop whining! You act like new users on here are first time users on a "forum", and doesn't know how it works. I'll stop ranting.

@Wrathernaut, thanks for helping out even if I seem "rehashed". I ordered the Grom kit anyways and I'll see if it fits on my 06 G.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by csaeteurn
Temporarily ban? I chose this thread not because its old, because it's still tangible/related to my question. I've done numerous searches, not just not this forum but on google as well to find the answer to my specific question. I found tons of forums thats shows how to install, whats the best and what not. It doesn't have the answer to my specific question. Prove me wrong if you can find a forum that answers my question, and I'll apologize. Other than that, like most people say, stop whining! You act like new users on here are first time users on a "forum", and doesn't know how it works. I'll stop ranting.

@Wrathernaut, thanks for helping out even if I seem "rehashed". I ordered the Grom kit anyways and I'll see if it fits on my 06 G.
It'll work. Feel free to document the install so I can flesh out the AUX input sticky thread.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
In an '06-'07 satellite came standard. And CS all of their kits say that satellite capable G's will work with the adapter.

Infiniti FX35 FX45 2004-2010 (CAT/SAT should be on stereo)
Infiniti G35 2003-2007 (CAT/SAT should be on stereo)
Infiniti G37 2008-2009 (CAT/SAT should be on stereo)

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

And when did / mean and? I have a loud/crazy dog. Lower your internet voice bud most new forum members are always asking the same questions and never recontributing. When I say rehash, Wrathernaut has literally copied and pasted post #5 from another page.

e.g. https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ory-radio.html

This is not an attack on you, its against new members who don't read any of our rules or the how to use "this" forum guide. If you are typically on this site on a computer, then I recommend you use advanced serarch because the normal search is troublesome.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM
In an '06-'07 satellite came standard. And CS all of their kits say that satellite capable G's will work with the adapter.

And when did / mean and? I have a loud/crazy dog. Lower your internet voice bud most new forum members are always asking the same questions and never recontributing. When I say rehash, Wrathernaut has literally copied and pasted post #5 from another page.

This is not an attack on you, its against new members who don't read any of our rules or the how to use "this" forum guide. If you are typically on this site on a computer, then I recommend you use advanced serarch because the normal search is troublesome.

I understand this problem, but not everything can be perfect. Not everyone can contribute info, especially if they're new to their car or knows nothing about cars.

Also, thats a true statement about "/" meaning either or and not "and". But it still doesn't beat the fact that I want to be on the safe side, since I don't have Satellite or XM on my car.

Plus I never knew 05-06 G35's came standard with satellite when I posted the question. If I'd known that, it would've answered my question. Knowing just the other half,
"their kits say that satellite capable G's will work with the adapter",
doesn't help because I still wouldn't have known that the newer models came standard even if it doesn't list the button.

I still can't find the post you mentioned that Wrathernaut literally copied and pasted post #5. The section that answered my question was the first sentence and I don't see it anywhere on the sticky forum, that states that newer G models are SAT capable.

Anyway, I don't wanna be the "Badass" on a forum/on the internet. I just wanted to confirm that this is compatible with my car so I won't waste $140.

@Wrathernaut, thanks again. When I get the kit, I'll document the install using the vids on the forum. I'll be sure to clarify that the newer model G's (05-06) have SAT capable even if it doesn't have the button on the dash and see if it can beef up the sticky thread.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Satellite wiring was standard in 06, but not the adapter.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM
G35 Sport Sedan 6MT
Csaeteurn, GROM has really good tech support, they respond quickly, and have good procedures to follow if you're having an issue, so I definitely recommend contacting them if you have a problem getting it to work. Since installing it I had a couple issues I had to contact tech support on and they worked it out. If it doesn't end up working on your car, you can probably return it and they will give you your money back. There was a forum member on here who who couldn't get a GROM to work and they refunded it. Anyhow, I hope it works for you.

I will say that after having it for nearly 2 years, that it does work well and I am happy with it for the most part. With the USB function you do have to make sure the USB flash drive you're using is formatted properly and working well or it can brick the GROM, which is easily fixable with a firmware reflash, but still a hassle if you don't expect it.

They have an Android streaming option known as AAlinQ which came out shortly after I bought my unit, and functions with an app installed on the phone, which does work, but has been a lot of trouble for me. The unit you bought is likely the newer model from mine, the USB2P, and it will stream from Android directly much like an iPhone/iPod, which probably works a lot better than AAlinQ. Audio quality from AAlinQ is not as good as USB or CD so I'm not sure what they're doing, if the signal is being compressed or if it's something with how the audio codec is processed or the DA conversion. USB is about as good or better than CD so the decoding and DA conversion is done really well there. Aux. input works really well too.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Premier Member

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2014, 01:02 PM
When I press my SAT button the radio says "NO SAT" is that the reason my GROM audio doesnt work?
I installed it but I cant find GROM's bluetooth and my phone wont connect
I followed all instructions of installation

Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
do you have the bluetooth attachment? it comes as an added accessory.

first i would checm that the unit is getting power. take a usb stick that has an led and plug it in. confirm that the light turns on or use an iphone usb cable and comfirm its charging your phone. if it is not then the unit is not powering up and you might have tapped the wrong wire for power

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GROM USB Bluetooth Aux install