Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace OEM Speakers, Replace Amp (?), Speaker Size -- 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replace OEM Speakers, Replace Amp (?), Speaker Size -- 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe

I have a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe with a Bose sound system. After my OEM/Bose head unit failed the first time I had it repaired by a local electronics shop. The HU was working for a while then the CD play started it's usual crap again -- thereafter the HU would draw 850~900 mA of current in it's OFF state! The battery would be completely drained after 2~3 days when not driving the vehicle. So I decided to replace the OEM/Bose HU with a new Pioneer AVH-P3400BH radio. I am very happy with the radio and the vast improvement over the stock HU's sound! As a side affect of having a better HU installed and sound output quality I can now hear that the OEM speakers are only just OK, and in particular my rear speakers are pretty terrible. (I am not sure if this is due to aging of the speakers or if they were just bad to start off with.)

But now I am thinking of replacing the OEM speakers and possibly the amp also.

Please note that I am NOT a professional audio installer and that my knowledge of audio systems and speakers are very LIMITED. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and for asking "dumb" questions -- but any information, advice and help would be greatly appreciated:

(1) What size are the standard OEM/Bose speakers -- front door, front door tweeters, rear passenger side panel speakers, and rear deck speakers?

B.t.w., are the rear deck speakers considered "sub-woofers"...?

(2) Can I find aftermarket speakers that are the same size and a replacement/straight swap out for the OEM/Bose speakers?

(3) If I replace the OEM/Bose speakers, should I replace the OEM/Bose amp also? Can I simply use the OEM/Bose Amp without replacing it or is the amp quality not so good?

(4) I have a very tight budget and cannot spend too much money? Does anybody have recommendations for good quality (it does not have to be "the best") set of replacement (aftermarket) speakers, and possibly a replacement (aftermarket) amp?

As I stated before -- I would definitely prefer components (speakers and amp) that I can simply swap out and do not need to modify anything else additionally. I do not wont to build new speaker holders or covers, or build a sub-woofer box in my trunk, or replace the amp if it will take up additional space in the trunk, etc.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cameron

Last edited by cninham; 04-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
Front and middle 6.5s. Rear deck 6x9. Depending on the rating for the speakers you might need to replace amp.

The following users liked this post:
cninham (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Thank you for the info -- much appreciated!

Also, do you happen to know the size of the tweeters in the front door?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
sorry not sure about the tweeter size.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM
OK, thanks.

From searching other forums I found the following info. Unfortunately some of it was conflicting, but I think this summary is correct:

Infiniti G35 Coupe Speaker Info:
  • fronts are 6.5" midbass with 1" tweeters
  • rears are 6.5" coaxials, full range speakers
  • rear deck speakers are 6x9
Note: all speaker are "shallow"
  • Front 6.5" Mids: 2 Ohm
  • Front Tweeters: 4 Ohm
  • Rear 6.5" Mids: 2 Ohm
  • Rear 6x9" subs: ? Ohm (*think* they are 2 ohm)
  • Rear 6x9" speakers are powered by the Bose Amp in the trunk
  • Bose Amp output/channel? unknown but speculated to be about 35W (based on the claim of 222 total watts for 6 speakers)

Maybe someone can confirm my findings/research...?

Regards

Cameron