Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05-07 Factory Navigation Screen Modification/Replacement Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
05-07 Factory Navigation Screen Modification/Replacement Info

Finished editing together the dis-assembly video. Since I'd already gotten pulled the screen from mine, the video could be improved by doing a complete disassembly from an untouched screen.

If anyone wants to send me theirs for complete disassembly (just pay shipping both ways), I'll re-video the complete process.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 02-01-2014 at 01:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
Brian Holt (03-27-2021), brutalg35 (11-28-2019), Fresh&SoClean (11-09-2023), gill1606 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Here are some measurements for anyone looking at what they can put in the location.

For the screen, there's the screen with housing, and the opening for the visible screen.
Screen housing:
Width - 17cm
Height - 10.5cm
Depth - 3cm

Screen opening:
Width - 16.3cm
Height - 9.3cm

There's also an adapter box that is not visible, this is the part that the main harness plugs into at the back of the radio.
Width - 12cm
Height - 6.3cm
Depth - 3.4cm

The motorized screen elevator is powered independently from the screen, so once you've removed the screen housing and adapter, it will continue to pop up and operate as usual, just empty.

If you're only looking to have the pop-up screen work without any other part of the navigation system, it's pretty easy. The up-and-down unit (Yes, that's it's official name in the manuals) is a separate 6-pin harness (gray harness M95).

Pin 1: Red w/white stripe: Constant +12v
Pin 2: Yellow w/green stripe: +12v when ignition switch is in on or start position
Pin 3: Black: Ground
Pin 4: Light green: Accessory power: +12v when ignition switch is in on or ACC position
Pin 5: red w/white stripe: Limit switch: provides +5v signal to the navi control unit to let it know when unit is open
Pin 6: not used

Removing the screen and its housing is not difficult at all, it's just a LOT of screws to keep track of. I'll try and get more shots when I disassemble it to put the phone mount in the old screen's location.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 12-04-2022 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Swapped video/measurements posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
AlteredCarbon (05-22-2018), Fresh&SoClean (11-10-2023)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good stuff!
I was always wondering what are the dimensions for that screen.

I had an idea in mind, but I am not sure if it is possible.

1- Get an Android tablet that would fit in the Nav screen housing
2- Do some mods to the HU to supply the tablet with power supply for charging, and have it connected through an auxiliary cable all the time.
3- Provide the tablet with internet access using my phone's hotspot
4- Enjoy my all-in-one car touch screen display (Google Maps, YouTube, Music, Emails, Movies, Social Media.... etc)

The following users liked this post:
M S (07-08-2019)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ibby93
Good stuff!
I was always wondering what are the dimensions for that screen.

I had an idea in mind, but I am not sure if it is possible.

1- Get an Android tablet that would fit in the Nav screen housing
2- Do some mods to the HU to supply the tablet with power supply for charging, and have it connected through an auxiliary cable all the time.
3- Provide the tablet with internet access using my phone's hotspot
4- Enjoy my all-in-one car touch screen display (Google Maps, YouTube, Music, Emails, Movies, Social Media.... etc)
The space in there is smaller than 7" tablets, the Nexus 7 doesn't come close to fitting. You could mount the Parrot Asteroid Tablet in there, however - the Asteroid Tablet dimensions are listed at 13.3cm x 8.9cm x 1.65 cm, so it would fit comfortably in there. The electronics box is too large to fit in the space of the OEM adapter, but with a little work, would mount fairly well in the space that the navigation DVD drive sits, giving you access to the USB and other inputs, if you really wanted.

I might be swapping over from the wireless charger phone mount I built in the screen's location to this unit myself, since the battery on the phone gets too hot when being charged wirelessly and running navigation and bluetooth streaming audio apps. Once the battery gets too hot, it stops charging, so all I'm left with is a really good spot for the phone, but with the battery getting drained. USB charging doesn't generate as much heat, so it can charge while running the other apps.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
why not throw a 5" Garmin in there? should definitely fit.. you probably need to do a little bit of work to make it work..
Some Garmins have bluetooth audio too i think..

but being the audio nut that you are, I bet you won't like the lower quality audio through bluetooth vs a usb wired setup...

P.S. Am I the only person who is happy with OEM NAV? **** gets the job done.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
why not throw a 5" Garmin in there? should definitely fit.. you probably need to do a little bit of work to make it work..

The thing is to add capability - streaming audio and such - as well as update the navigation.

5" garmin would be fine if all you're looking to do is get better navigation, but with a tablet, you get your choice of streaming audio (when connected to your phone for data), guidance software, you can connect to a bluetooth ODB2 reader and get gas mileage, read check engine codes, monitor a bunch of other stuff... yeah, tablet adds a lot of cool capabilities over a garmin.

And yes... the factory nav is bad. The interface was out of date when it was introduced 10 years ago. It doesn't do lane guidance, speak street names, get traffic updates, notify you of speed traps, traffic cameras, road closures.... the list goes on, and the map updates cost more than a new garmin does.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Some Garmins have bluetooth audio too i think..

but being the audio nut that you are, I bet you won't like the lower quality audio through bluetooth vs a usb wired setup...

Mine doesn't work.. I'd rather spend the cash on a good mod than a nav replacement unit.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Did you remove the navigation DVD-ROM yet? I was wondering how you could take it out.

I'm assuming there's good room in there once the DVDROM is out, and there must be some power cables too... That would help do more customizations. Or at least have extra storage lol

Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Did you remove the navigation DVD-ROM yet? I was wondering how you could take it out.

I'm assuming there's good room in there once the DVDROM is out, and there must be some power cables too... That would help do more customizations. Or at least have extra storage lol
Not yet, I haven't needed the space just yet, but since there was a G35 in the nearby scrapyard, I might have to grab that second cubby and install it.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 on this. If you do please take pictures and details.

Have you at figured out why the navi screen sometimes doesn't work? My navi screen used to work every single time, IE pop up everytime i started the car. Now when i touch the button to pop up the screen, it goes fully extended and back down 3 of 4 times. It never goes down mid- driving. I'm going to take it apart in the summer and see if i can do something with the guides/slides.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
+1 on this. If you do please take pictures and details.

Have you at figured out why the navi screen sometimes doesn't work? My navi screen used to work every single time, IE pop up everytime i started the car. Now when i touch the button to pop up the screen, it goes fully extended and back down 3 of 4 times. It never goes down mid- driving. I'm going to take it apart in the summer and see if i can do something with the guides/slides.
Too much resistance causes it to reverse direction, so it could be that the grease has lost its lubricating abilities, or the brushes in the motor have buildup. It's not hard to disassemble (almost done editing my dis-assembly video... just need to re-create the dis-assembly of parts that I already had out so the video's more complete) - it's just a lot of screws to keep track of. Like taking the radio out of the dash, first time was about 5x as hard as the second.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Wrathernaut Nav Question!!!

I am not going to remove my stock Nav screen and will be keeping the original single din screen configuration. My confusion is removing the white connectors on the passengers side and the other on the drivers side connection. From your last video I watched you push and release that white connector from passengers side from the rear. If you have any pictures of removing all the nav connecters I would greatly appreciation them...a schematic would great too. If I can't figure this out I'll be off to the dealers for a $100 bill.

Thank you Wathernaut!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
add a screen?

Wrathernaut - first off thanks for all this audio knowledge and I hope you or any other member can answer yet another question. I was on ebay and didn't know if i could purchase the parts below, add them to my current Bose (2006 6MT coupe) and....VIOLA....I have navigation???Assuming of course I have the correct part numbers, adapters, DVD,etc...I know the 03/04 units are different from the 05-07 units. Again your threads have been a TREMENDOUS help!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Ejgold55
Wrathernaut - first off thanks for all this audio knowledge and I hope you or any other member can answer yet another question. I was on ebay and didn't know if i could purchase the parts below, add them to my current Bose (2006 6MT coupe) and....VIOLA....I have navigation???Assuming of course I have the correct part numbers, adapters, DVD,etc...I know the 03/04 units are different from the 05-07 units. Again your threads have been a TREMENDOUS help!
#1, the factory navigation is so poor that I wouldn't put it in my car for $500 if you provided *all* the parts.

#2, You're missing one really important (expensive) part, the harness:

And it's a lot of fun to get it in:

Oh, and yes, before you ask, you can separate out the portion of that harness you need and splice it in with your existing harness, but that will add a lot more hours than just putting the new harness in.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That is a bit more complex than I thought. Thanks for the pictures to put a job like that in perspective.

I don't suppose I could connect a moving screen unit with the display removed (as you did in this post), and just hook that unit up to the current Bose I have (no navigation)to have a moving screen to mount a garmen or ipod...something on?

I would assume not, but i just want to solidify any idea i have about this radio will not work..........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05-07 Factory Navigation Screen Modification/Replacement Info