Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Which Indash do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Indash do you guys recommend?

I'm in the market to install an Indash touch screen unit. Looking for GPS, built in Pandora, plays movies (from DVD disk or external USB drive) , and can connect a backup camera to.

What are you guys using? Will probably have a shop do the install for me. Thanks in advance everyone.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by SKANLEZ
I'm in the market to install an Indash touch screen unit. Looking for GPS, built in Pandora, plays movies (from DVD disk or external USB drive) , and can connect a backup camera to.

What are you guys using? Will probably have a shop do the install for me. Thanks in advance everyone.
Do you have a smartphone? If so, DO NOT pay for a unit with built-in GPS. The built-in GPS is terrible compared to smartphone navigation, and adds a lot to the price.

If you have an iPhone, there's quite a few options for headunits that will mirror the navigation to the headunit, android, you're a little more limited, but if you have a samsung galaxy, there's also some good options.

Everything supports pandora, movies and backup cameras now.

So probably the biggest question right now is what phone are you using? that'll dictate which headunits will work best.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Wrath,

Thanks again for your help. I currently use a Samsung and probably will continue to use one. I plan on getting the Galaxy S5 when it comes out.

I hear what your saying about the built in GPS in some units, they are a tag laggy. I suppose if I can get a cheaper head unit that will mirror my phone, that would be awesome. I definitely want the capability of playing movies on the screen. I do outside sales and would be nice to watch a flick while eating lunch in the car.

Also the back up camera is a necessity. I work in San Francisco and parking is tight. So the backup camera would be a plus for me.

Can I include like one of those beeping sensors that beep when it gets close to something? If I can keep everything at about $1000, that would be great. What do you think?

Old 03-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Do you have a smartphone? If so, DO NOT pay for a unit with built-in GPS. The built-in GPS is terrible compared to smartphone navigation, and adds a lot to the price.

If you have an iPhone, there's quite a few options for headunits that will mirror the navigation to the headunit, android, you're a little more limited, but if you have a samsung galaxy, there's also some good options.

Everything supports pandora, movies and backup cameras now.

So probably the biggest question right now is what phone are you using? that'll dictate which headunits will work best.
After your message, I did a search through google and what I found was a Pioneer Appradio which looks like it works for both iPhone and Android. For Android, it would depend on the cord I buy with it correct? What do you think about that unit?

Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I don't know if the app radio will support the G5, but I have an iPhone 5 and I run the HDMI digital AV cable to put out video and audio. It's really nice.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

After your message, I did a search through google and what I found was a Pioneer Appradio which looks like it works for both iPhone and Android. For Android, it would depend on the cord I buy with it correct? What do you think about that unit?
AppRadio is an interesting one, it's just very dependent on your phone for compatibility. You just need the right adapters and cables. I expect that unit to get better over time, unless they abandon it for the upcoming Pioneer NEX units.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I saw a YouTube video with someone doing a demo. The guy had it installed in his G35 and was using a Galaxy S4 which is what I'm using. I see what you mean about being dependant on what phone you have. When I get the Galaxy S5, I won't know for sure if it'll work.

Do you know of any units similar to the on unmentioned above that's not completely dependant on a Smartphone?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Here's a video with someone using the Pioneer appradio 2 on his G35

Old 03-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, I saw a YouTube video with someone doing a demo. The guy had it installed in his G35 and was using a Galaxy S4 which is what I'm using. I see what you mean about being dependant on what phone you have. When I get the Galaxy S5, I won't know for sure if it'll work.

Do you know of any units similar to the on unmentioned above that's not completely dependant on a Smartphone?
Look into the Parrot Asteroid Smart. Basically a in-dash android tablet that's got a car-friendly interface. Just use your smartphone to give it internet access and that's about it.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I'm fairly certain thats the appradio 3...!

That is a good idea. TBH using the iPhone on the Appradio isnt the best. The appradio app is Way too slow for me, and I'm jealous of mirrolink.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer NEX

I am glad someone mentioned the NEX units. Does anyone know when they are available to buy? I will be hiring out the install as well.

I am an iPhone user and am looking to get an in dash unit that has the standard nav+bluetooth+camera setup. I know I could go cheaper and mirror the nav on my iPhone but I like to have just have built-in nav and use my phone for other things. It's just my preference as I found the appradio to be a little sluggish and found that to be a similar pattern in general for units that connect to the phone for mirroring.

Also wanted to repeat a question from the OP. Is it possible to get parking sensors installed easily? I assume that's what was being referred to.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Look into the Parrot Asteroid Smart. Basically a in-dash android tablet that's got a car-friendly interface. Just use your smartphone to give it internet access and that's about it.
I looked up the Parrot Asteroid and it seems to be a pretty cool unit. The only thing I didn't like about it was the limited of apps it has. Couldn't find any information about it being able to play movies.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Pioneer Appradio 3

Hi everyone,

I think I narrowed the what I will be getting an very interested in buying the Pioneer Appradio 3. Has anyone here installed one of these in their G35? I have a 2006 G35 Coupe.

I've done some research and it looks like aside from the Pioneer Appradio unit, what I need to get it also

Pioneer CD-AH200C (Android Connection Kit) http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...bles/CD-AH200C
Samsung MHL Adapter EPL-FU10BEBSTD
Amazon.com: Original Samsung HDTV Adapter TIP (5 to 11 Pin Converter) EPL-FU10BEBSTD for Galaxy S3 (9300): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Original Samsung HDTV Adapter TIP (5 to 11 Pin Converter) EPL-FU10BEBSTD for Galaxy S3 (9300): Cell Phones & Accessories
Scosche CNN03 Factory Integration Adapter http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142C4NN...r.html?tp=3486

Now to be able to mirror my Samsung Galaxy S4, will I need this adapter as well?

CD-MU200 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ables/CD-MU200

I found this for my steering wheel controls

Metra ASWC-1
Amazon.com: Metra ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface: Car Electronics

Last edited by SKANLEZ; 03-16-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I looked up the Parrot Asteroid and it seems to be a pretty cool unit. The only thing I didn't like about it was the limited of apps it has. Couldn't find any information about it being able to play movies.
You can open up the asteroid to run any app you want, it's a pretty hackable unit.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by pikachu
I am glad someone mentioned the NEX units. Does anyone know when they are available to buy? I will be hiring out the install as well.

I am an iPhone user and am looking to get an in dash unit that has the standard nav+bluetooth+camera setup. I know I could go cheaper and mirror the nav on my iPhone but I like to have just have built-in nav and use my phone for other things. It's just my preference as I found the appradio to be a little sluggish and found that to be a similar pattern in general for units that connect to the phone for mirroring.

Also wanted to repeat a question from the OP. Is it possible to get parking sensors installed easily? I assume that's what was being referred to.
Backup sensors are a totally different system. IMO, if you need cameras, sensors, mirrors and turning your head around, you probably should stick to driving a playstation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Indash do you guys recommend?