Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on Front SoundStage setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice on Front SoundStage setup

Please disregard my other thread with those noob questions. After doing much research, I may have something going now.

1.) Upon Wrath's suggestion, I'm going to change my front speakers and tweeters via http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8715492&utm_campaign=bazaarvoice& utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReview s&utm_content=Default&pid=1202648996067 ... opinions? Disregard the price because I got it for 3/4 cheaper.

2.) Looks like it's pointless to run the 6x9 in the rear deck if I'm going to install a sub in the trunk. But do I also take them out or just disable it?

3.) What about the rear side panels? Disable them as well?

4.) Most likely for now, I'm just going to buy a two channel amp to run it with the front component speakers I listed above. So temporarily, what should I do with the bass? I still need it so do I just keep the rear deck active through the Bose amp? And Rear Side Panels too?

OR can I buy a 4 channel amp and use that for my two aftermarket in the front and stock rear sides and have the Bose amp handle the 6x9's?

Thanks guys and kind regards.

Last edited by NyCrAzY; 03-26-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I thought I answered these for you?

Listen to the speakers powered at best buy, if it sounds good to you powered at the right RMS it's great!!!

As for disabling rears... Duh when you remove the old amplifier you have to disconnect all the speaker wire.

Amp choice... Well, this is where everyone is different in Opinion. Any proven manufacturer that has realistic RMS output will power your speakers. Second, if you buy a 2 channel now for $100, you will have to buy a $200 amplifier also later for the sub and mount it somewhere else. You would also need to run a distribution block off of your battery (like a cable that splits in 2 near your amps) and wire at the split for each amplifier. You may not need to run as large of a wire for a single amplifier...!

Also, you only have to install once vs. twice. A Single amp will give you the most factory look because you could hide it.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
Please disregard my other thread with those noob questions. After doing much research, I may have something going now.

1.) Upon Wrath's suggestion, I'm going to change my front speakers and tweeters via http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1202648996067 ... opinions? Disregard the price because I got it for 3/4 cheaper.

2.) Looks like it's pointless to run the 6x9 in the rear deck if I'm going to install a sub in the trunk. But do I also take them out or just disable it?

3.) What about the rear side panels? Disable them as well?

4.) Most likely for now, I'm just going to buy a two channel amp to run it with the front component speakers I listed above. So temporarily, what should I do with the bass? I still need it so do I just keep the rear deck active through the Bose amp? And Rear Side Panels too?

OR can I buy a 4 channel amp and use that for my two aftermarket in the front and stock rear sides and have the Bose amp handle the 6x9's?

Thanks guys and kind regards.
1) Never listened to those, so the best I can say is check reviews online.

2) Remove them so you get a decent pass-through for the sound from the sub in the trunk.

3) Just don't power them, no reason to really remove them. You can even just fader to the front if they're connected to the headunit already through the speaker-level outputs.

4) Your choice. Try both just the front and the front + 6x9's, but I'm guessing those new speakers will do equal/better bass than anything bose puts out.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks Urban and Wrath.

Okay, now I understand that taking out the rear deck will be a necessity in order to run a sub in the trunk to let the sound flow. I'll save that project for May.

Regarding powering two aftermarket front component speakers and the stock bose 6x9's on an aftermarket amp, how much power will those bose woofers handle? I guess not much. I assume it's best to get that whole Bose amp taken out and not deal with it whatsoever, right?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Thanks Urban and Wrath. Okay, now I understand that taking out the rear deck will be a necessity in order to run a sub in the trunk to let the sound flow. I'll save that project for May. Regarding powering two aftermarket front component speakers and the stock bose 6x9's on an aftermarket amp, how much power will those bose woofers handle? I guess not much. I assume it's best to get that whole Bose amp taken out and not deal with it whatsoever, right?
I'm confused, power the rear 6x9's or not....?

Wrath says pull them out totally for optimum bass flow.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM
I'll save the removal in May when I actually install a trunk sub.

I'm trying to figure out what to tell the installer tomorrow.

1.) Take out Bose amp completely
2.) Install an amp (haven't decided on one yet, looking at a 4 channel)
3.) Install front component speakers
4.) Disable rear side 6.5's
5.) Use the other 2 channels on the amps to power the rear deck 6x9's?

I know the Bose 6x9's can't take much power so is there an option to choose how much power it goes into it? My main goal is to get at least something out of the 6x9's while waiting until May to install a trunk sub/rear deck removal.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I would guess any aftermarket amp will blow out those bose 6x9s pretty quickly. Best option is to wait and do it all at once. Or install aftermarket 6x9s also and power those from the same amp.

Sounds like patience is in short supply though.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'll save the removal in May when I actually install a trunk sub.

I'm trying to figure out what to tell the installer tomorrow.

1.) Take out Bose amp completely
2.) Install an amp (haven't decided on one yet, looking at a 4 channel)
3.) Install front component speakers
4.) Disable rear side 6.5's
5.) Use the other 2 channels on the amps to power the rear deck 6x9's?

I know the Bose 6x9's can't take much power so is there an option to choose how much power it goes into it? My main goal is to get at least something out of the 6x9's while waiting until May to install a trunk sub/rear deck removal.
1) Yes.
2) Yep
3) Yes again.
4) By removing the bose amp and not connecting them, they're disabled.
5) Bridge both channels so you turn it into a 2-channel amp, get the most out of those speakers!

Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
1) Yes.
2) Yep
3) Yes again.
4) By removing the bose amp and not connecting them, they're disabled.
5) Bridge both channels so you turn it into a 2-channel amp, get the most out of those speakers!
Gotcha! I have a 600W 4 channel Polk amp lying around from my cousin so I'll just double bridge those to the Pioneers. It's never bad to have too much power right?

I got a 10 inch enclosed box for my trunk sub with an alpine mono 500w amp. Now just have to find a good 10 inch sub.

Question: I listen to mostly rock and metal so what subs would be beneficial to me? I don't want those subs that'll rock the whole damn car.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Gotcha! I have a 600W 4 channel Polk amp lying around from my cousin so I'll just double bridge those to the Pioneers. It's never bad to have too much power right?

I got a 10 inch enclosed box for my trunk sub with an alpine mono 500w amp. Now just have to find a good 10 inch sub.

Question: I listen to mostly rock and metal so what subs would be beneficial to me? I don't want those subs that'll rock the whole damn car.
For rock and metal, I recommend sealed enclosures. The box offers resistance to help with the rapid drums in rock and metal. Ported is still better for bass guitar reproduction, but enough power with a sealed enclosure and you can do that well too.

Good 10" at any price is the Sundown SA-10, but if you can't get a hold of that, try for the Image Dynamics IDQ10V2.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, yes on the pioneer ts-d! Those are a great component set that you can usually get for around $125. Second, if it's a newer polk amp, they do not like to run at 2ohms so be careful when you're making final adjustments on it, they tend to run hot and we've blown a few of those up running at 4 ohms and dialing in with an o-scope so I would buy a better 4channel before buying a sub, it will be money well spent.

for metal and rock definitely stick with a 10 or even an 8 if you would like in a sealed box but make sure the box has the proper volume for whatever sub you decide on(this will make a huge difference) Digital Designs makes a great sub and in 8" but it's probably more than what you're looking for.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by MECPCertG35
First of all, yes on the pioneer ts-d! Those are a great component set that you can usually get for around $125. Second, if it's a newer polk amp, they do not like to run at 2ohms so be careful when you're making final adjustments on it, they tend to run hot and we've blown a few of those up running at 4 ohms and dialing in with an o-scope so I would buy a better 4channel before buying a sub, it will be money well spent.

for metal and rock definitely stick with a 10 or even an 8 if you would like in a sealed box but make sure the box has the proper volume for whatever sub you decide on(this will make a huge difference) Digital Designs makes a great sub and in 8" but it's probably more than what you're looking for.
I got the Pioneers installed and they sound great. My polk 600.4 amp are connected to the front components (pioneer) and the rear sides (stock bose). The 6x9's (stock bose) are powered through my Alpine Double Din unit.

I turned off my rear speakers just to hear my front and it didn't sound all that great for a "Front SoundStage" set up. Is it because I hear certain aspects of music through the fronts while the rears get its other own?

Or is it also because I don't have a sub installed yet?

Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I got the Pioneers installed and they sound great. My polk 600.4 amp are connected to the front components (pioneer) and the rear sides (stock bose). The 6x9's (stock bose) are powered through my Alpine Double Din unit.

I turned off my rear speakers just to hear my front and it didn't sound all that great for a "Front SoundStage" set up. Is it because I hear certain aspects of music through the fronts while the rears get its other own?

Or is it also because I don't have a sub installed yet?
No idea what your crossovers and EQ are set at, so no idea why you're getting sound like that.