Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help/advise upgrading factory subwoofer 05 g35 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help/advise upgrading factory subwoofer 05 g35 sedan

Car: 2005 G35x sedan w/ Bose stereo

Alright, so i'm already pretty satisfied with the factory bose system that comes with my car. I would really like the option to turn the system up every once and awhile and get some extra bass. It looks like the G comes with a rear mounted 6.5" subwoofer and a factory amp built in next to it. What I would really like to do it find another 6.5" 2ohm (or 4 ohm dual) subwoofer I can replace this with and replace the factory amp as well, I will probably build an carpet a custom box on the upper trunk as to inclose the factory subwoofer mount. priority #1 I want to stay as stock looking as possible so I am trying to keep the box as slim and hidden as possible. Im not looking for a sh*t-load of bass just an extra hit in the car when I rock out to my dub step.

Question: has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions for speaker or amplifier to use? can I use the factory wiring with a new amplifier? Any information would be awesome before I begin.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Ig350zI
Car: 2005 G35x sedan w/ Bose stereo

Alright, so i'm already pretty satisfied with the factory bose system that comes with my car. I would really like the option to turn the system up every once and awhile and get some extra bass. It looks like the G comes with a rear mounted 6.5" subwoofer and a factory amp built in next to it. What I would really like to do it find another 6.5" 2ohm (or 4 ohm dual) subwoofer I can replace this with and replace the factory amp as well, I will probably build an carpet a custom box on the upper trunk as to inclose the factory subwoofer mount. priority #1 I want to stay as stock looking as possible so I am trying to keep the box as slim and hidden as possible. Im not looking for a sh*t-load of bass just an extra hit in the car when I rock out to my dub step.

Question: has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions for speaker or amplifier to use? can I use the factory wiring with a new amplifier? Any information would be awesome before I begin.
Ok, so trying to keep this short.

You need an amp that takes a differential-balanced signal. JL audio amps do this, as do very few others.

Don't bother building a box if you're trying to do something like that (unless you're very skilled at box design); rather just go with a woofer that works well in an infinite baffle setup. If you're attaching it directly to the rear deck, you'll need to reinforce the deck, it's too flimsy for any decently-powered woofer on it.

You absolutely cannot reuse the factory power wiring, but speaker wiring can be reused without issue.

So, a JL 8w3 in an infinite baffle setup, or a well-constructed ported box underneath the rear deck would be a pretty good way to go.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Ok, so trying to keep this short.

You need an amp that takes a differential-balanced signal. JL audio amps do this, as do very few others.

Don't bother building a box if you're trying to do something like that (unless you're very skilled at box design); rather just go with a woofer that works well in an infinite baffle setup. If you're attaching it directly to the rear deck, you'll need to reinforce the deck, it's too flimsy for any decently-powered woofer on it.

You absolutely cannot reuse the factory power wiring, but speaker wiring can be reused without issue.

So, a JL 8w3 in an infinite baffle setup, or a well-constructed ported box underneath the rear deck would be a pretty good way to go.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you!