Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iSimple for Android

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
iSimple for Android

I believe a I have a question that searching resulted in nothing specific on my problem.

Well, I recently purchased a 2006 g35x. Turns out when lifting the arm rest there is a iSimple iphone connection in there. Problem is I don't have a iphone and no offense to those who love them but, I will never own one.

I currently have a galaxy note 3 android and want to connect it instead. So my thoughts were to try and find a conversion cable to patch between them. Well this has resulted in some searches coming up with a iphone to stereo head phone connection to plug in the android phone. However, if I understand right the radio and steering wheel controls can work with the iphone. obviously with just a headphone jack none of those cool features will work. But, it may just get the job done.

But, watching some you tube videos it appears the brains to the iSimple has a box with a usb port or two on it. Again though I am not familiar with iSimple and know if this is true for all models or not and there is no way of knowing what model I have without removing interior trim to find out. Which I suppose I will have to get the answer. But, even if I connect the aroid cable will the interface work with an android phone.

Anyway I can go on but, until I open my dash up to find out there is no way of knowing. But, anyone's input on the matter is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
So rather than digging into the interior for the time being. I found the 30pin female iphone adapter to a usb 3.0 android. Figure I will give this a shot. For those who care I will keep this up to date. Just waiting on the adapter to come in the mail.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
So I received the adapter and it clearly charges my galaxy note 3 but, nothing else. I also tried a co-workers iphone with out the adapter and it charges his iphone but, nothing else.

I have reviewed some directions and youtube videos for help. I have tried cycling through the radio button to see if an aux is an option to which it is now. I have also pushed through the satalite button options and have gone through rock, classical etc.... and no option to use the iSimple device is found.

I really don't want to go digging into my dash this early after purchasing the car to see which model this is or why it is or isn't working but, refuse to take it to a radio shop to have them do it.

Seems there is the possibility that I may have an older unit as well which requires an on/off switch to be flipped for it to work. So for the time being I will see if there is any such switch hidden or installed some where I can find.

Otherwise I an stuck finding the time to dig into the dash.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by JRSTANGE
So I received the adapter and it clearly charges my galaxy note 3 but, nothing else. I also tried a co-workers iphone with out the adapter and it charges his iphone but, nothing else.

I have reviewed some directions and youtube videos for help. I have tried cycling through the radio button to see if an aux is an option to which it is now. I have also pushed through the satalite button options and have gone through rock, classical etc.... and no option to use the iSimple device is found.

I really don't want to go digging into my dash this early after purchasing the car to see which model this is or why it is or isn't working but, refuse to take it to a radio shop to have them do it.

Seems there is the possibility that I may have an older unit as well which requires an on/off switch to be flipped for it to work. So for the time being I will see if there is any such switch hidden or installed some where I can find.

I had this same setup in my G. Try switching to 87.9 FM on the radio and play some music. There's a switch that let's you choose betweeb two stations. I don't know the other one but as soon as I get home from work I'll take a picture of it as I removed it when I upgraded to a double din.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 PM
That would awesome!!!

I will try 87.9 FM during my lunch break and report back.

I appreciate the help.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:44 PM
That would awesome!!!

I will try 87.9 FM during my lunch break and report back.

I appreciate the help.

No problem man. It took me a while to figure it out when I first got my coupe, just started flipping through stations and voila heard the music playing from my iPhone.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Well, it's strange it tuned right into 87.9 when sifting through the stations. However, nothing happened with the note 3 and adapter. I am waiting on my coworker with his iphone to try it.

If it works I guess I need a better adapter or a ipod.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts

Which iSimple adapter do you have? They make about 20 different models under the iSimple family of products.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Yeah that's part of the problem. I purchased the car just a bit under a month ago now and it was already installed. So I am trying to figure it out without opening up the dash to get a model number.

But, trying the radio channel 87.9 seeing it dialed right into that channel when searching and not fine tuning I think is a good sign as there is no local radio station that uses that frequency. Just waiting on my co worker to get done with lunch to give his iphone a shot.

I reviewed my adapter for my note 3 to 30 pin iphone and it appears it does data and charging only and not music or video. So I would be able to transfer data through the adapter but, music or movies etc...

If it works with his iphone I may just pick up a cheap ipod and duplicate the music on my phone to the ipod.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
UPDATE: used my co-workers iphone and tuned into 87.9 and it works.

Seems I need a better adapter or a ipod of sorts.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 PM
UPDATE: used my co-workers iphone and tuned into 87.9 and it works.

Seems I need a better adapter or a ipod of sorts.
Name:  20140529_171810_zpshycy8not.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  82.6 KB

Here's the model I have the IS31. Might be the same as yours but not 100% sure.

Name:  20140529_171745_zpscec2iwwf.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  92.8 KB

And here's the iPod/iPhone cable. Its connected with rca cables to the module, so you might be able to find an android compatible cable you can swap it out with.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Thank you very, very much for the help.

I am looking at one or both ideas.

1. Picking up a used or new IPOD to make this work. (Downside is I won't be able to use my note 3 and the music I have on it. Makes for the need of another device) May just be the way I got for now if I get one used and cheap.

2. Sucking it up and opening up the dash to find the main unit and connecting a rca to stereo headphone plug to the main box. (This way I can still use my note 3 for playing music through it. ) I just hope it works that way. It will be something to test.

Or three while thinking about it.

3. Pick up some RCA splitters and keep the Iphone side connected and add the stereo headphone plug as well. This way I have the means to charge off the iphone plug with my adapter and have the headphone plugged into my note 3 as well.

I know there is a power output in the glove box as well were everything pops out for the iSimple but, I would like to leave the power output open for when my wife is in the car with me she can plug in her phone and keep it charged as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Thank you very, very much for the help.

I am looking at one or both ideas.

1. Picking up a used or new IPOD to make this work. (Downside is I won't be able to use my note 3 and the music I have on it. Makes for the need of another device) May just be the way I got for now if I get one used and cheap.

2. Sucking it up and opening up the dash to find the main unit and connecting a rca to stereo headphone plug to the main box. (This way I can still use my note 3 for playing music through it. ) I just hope it works that way. It will be something to test.

Or three while thinking about it.

3. Pick up some RCA splitters and keep the Iphone side connected and add the stereo headphone plug as well. This way I have the means to charge off the iphone plug with my adapter and have the headphone plugged into my note 3 as well.

I know there is a power output in the glove box as well were everything pops out for the iSimple but, I would like to leave the power output open for when my wife is in the car with me she can plug in her phone and keep it charged as well.

Thanks again for the help.

For #1 - Get an iPod classic and just dump EVERYTHING on it, or an older iPod Touch and wifi-tether it to your android device to get access to internet streaming audio that way.

Or

Modified #2, but connect a bluetooth streaming audio receiver to it, so you can do it wirelessly, it'll be one less thing to plug into the phone.

The following users liked this post:
JRSTANGE (05-30-2014)