Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Simple build from Bing and his crew over at Simplicity in Sound! (Lots of pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple build from Bing and his crew over at Simplicity in Sound! (Lots of pictures)

Finally got the chance to finish off my car audio setup. For a while I was rollin around with just a factory Bose 6-disc changer unit and 2 idMAX 10's in both driver and passenger 4080 boxes hooked up to an Audioque 2200.1 amp.

I've had a set of Image Dynamics XS-65's BNIB for about 3 years and a Audioque 120.4 amp and JDM double din for about a year all just waiting to be installed.

What finally pushed my to get things going was my Bose 6-disc finally gave out and no longer worked. I waited almost an entire year to purchase a double din in hopes that 2014 models would be a good upgrade to what was already out at the end 2013.

Glad I waited to grab my Pioneer 4000NEX although it was torture listening to only radio the past 9 months. Anyways, enough of that, onto the build.

This is a copy of Bing's posting of the exact build log on my car.

Once upon a time, I used to build nothing but G35s and 350zs...up to the point that I pretty much stopped posting on those forums because I wanted something different to work on.

I have to say though, after a few years away, it felt pretty warm and fuzzing getting back into a G coupe for a full build.

Jesse helped with this car by doing the headunit install and building the Pillars. The customer supplied all the product with the exception of the DSP.

goals:

1. achieve a nice level of SQ with good output using customer supplied gear on a modest budget

2. install customer supplied pre-fabricated sub enclosures and maintain a stealthy look for the amp rack

lets get started:

The signal source starts with a pioneer 4000NEX headunit, installed via a JDM double din finisher...some of you may know that using this kit and the pioneer unit isnt as simple as securing it to the oem cage. if you line up the holes, it will result in the headunit not sitting flush, either too high or too low and too far recessed...so i have to say, as someone who has done over 40 of these types of headunit installs, that Jesse did a GREAT job re-drilling the oem bracket and mounting the 4000NEX exactly where it needs to go:

Moving onto the front stage, which is a set of Image dynamics SX65 6.5" components...the midbass were installed in the factory location in the lower door.

first, new speaker wires were run into the door via the factory molex:

Next, the door panel got a combination treatment of Stinger foam and STP CLD damper around the speakers:

I then fabricated a set of oem speaker matching spacer baffles, and coated with them several layers of truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

Next, the spacer baffle was bolted back in place using oem hardware:

and the ID midbass secured in place:

The same process was of course repeated on the passenger side:

The outer door skin which are pretty good at resisting resonance, also got some treatment via CLD dampers:

The ID tweeters went in custom molded A pillar pods. Jesse did a great job on these for his first ever full set of pillars...they are aimed relatively off axis for a more clean look and having done enough of these cars, i know this orientation does pretty good in this car:

Here are a few build pics of the pillars. first, the tweeter rings were aimed and secured:

Next, jesse filled the area with filler to build up the pod shape, and sanded it down smooth:

Then, they were wrapped in dash matching black vinyl and the ID tweeters press fit in place...they are now ready to go back into the car:

Next comes a series of pics showing the wiring bundles as they travel from the front of the car to the back, ziptied and secured to factory bundles every few inches:

I also removed the factory 6x9s on the rear deck to allow better bass response, and sound proofed the metal rear deck and the bottom side of the rear deck lid with CLD and foam, respectively:

Last edited by G'duprideR6; 07-08-2014 at 02:39 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by G'duprideR6:
bigc (07-08-2014), Tedisky (07-08-2014), Wrathernaut (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 AM
Moving onto the trunk...as previous mentioned, the customer supplied me with two prefab enclosures, these are the 4080 boxes and have been modified to house a single image dynamics idmax10 each. this is the normal view of the trunk, with the stock floor in the middle flanked by the two enclosures:

Pop off the carpet and you see a new fake floor center panel with a single pop off grille panel

Lift off the grille and here is what you see. two Audioque amplifiers are in a simple amp rack trimmed with black CF vinyl. Nothing fancy just a little something extra to show off if he wanted to as this was a modestly budgeted build. I haven't really heard of these amps before so i am not use on their power rating...but I think one is a 4x150 class amp for the front stage and the other is a 2 to 2.2 kilowatter for the subs.

If it was my choice, I would have preferred to rebuild the boxes so press fit grilles can be incorporated, perhaps that can be a future addition

Some quick build pics of the trunk floor...the customer had already sound proofed the floor with CLD, i installed a few rivet nuts to bolt the foundational support structure onto:

I then fabricated a one piece amp/processor rack with supports that will house all the wiring and components:

This is the top floor and vinly trim piece before and after upholstery:

Here is the breathable top grille after carpeting:

And finally, a shot of the wiring beneath the surface:

So thats it...pretty basic and simple G35 coupe build. Sound wise its pretty good. Like I said i don't know a lot about these amps, but they seem to be pretty stout, the floor noise may be a little higher than what i am used to but its not bad. Center is well focused above the dash (near eye level) width is pillar to pillar. Depth is average, hovering around the edge of the windshield. Frequency response overall is quite good, pretty typical for the xs set, very good snap on the midbass...the two idmaxes do a decent job of blending with the front stage while being able to shake the car with authority...overall a pretty good simple sq build with some good output.

cheers,

Bing

The following 4 users liked this post by G'duprideR6:
bigc (07-08-2014), dukehotty (07-08-2014), JaE35 (07-08-2014), Tedisky (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 AM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
Looks like some good quality work. Nice.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 AM
Overall, really happy with the setup. As expected, quality install from Bing and his crew. Most on this forum are familiar with Bing and his work on G35, 350Z's, etc.

Only downside what was discovered by Bing is my passenger 4080 appears to have a crack/leak on the box causing a loss of sound quality and low freq tones.

So if anyone has a passenger 4080 coupe box for sale, let me know! lol.

Sorry so long but figure I would post. Again a simple basic install. Nothing crazy but still very clean and nice for my daily driven G.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 AM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Nice to see threads with lots of pics. Btw who's Bing?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by BowWizzel
Nice to see threads with lots of pics. Btw who's Bing?
Bing is the owner of Simplicity in Sound audio shop located in Milpitas. Before actually having his own shop, he did numerous G35 installs for many members on this forum in the past. You can check out his past builds under the username @16psibrick

The following users liked this post:
BowWizzel (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Amazing build, I wish I could hear it in person.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Amazing build, I wish I could hear it in person.
This.

I stole your idea on how to insulate the rear deck .

Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Sick work....very impressive. Bet it sounds awesome

Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Wow, that amp rack and wiring work is immaculate.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by G'duprideR6
Overall, really happy with the setup. As expected, quality install from Bing and his crew. Most on this forum are familiar with Bing and his work on G35, 350Z's, etc.

Only downside what was discovered by Bing is my passenger 4080 appears to have a crack/leak on the box causing a loss of sound quality and low freq tones.

So if anyone has a passenger 4080 coupe box for sale, let me know! lol.

Sorry so long but figure I would post. Again a simple basic install. Nothing crazy but still very clean and nice for my daily driven G.
Just add some new fiberglass on the inside, that's one nice thing about fiberglass - it's fully repairable.

And as always, I love seeing this guy's stuff.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks guys!

as for the box, knowing how the 4080 box comes together, i am a bit unsure about just tossing the fiberglass in there. it could work...but the leak is at the front far corner of the box that i think its just coming apart...the issue is i dont think i can get glass actually onto the leaking bits, i can probably stuff it, but with the two part bond of the box, i am more or less concerned about it continuing to get worse with just a bit of duraglass in that corner. but it is a possiblity

Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by 16psibrick
thanks guys!

as for the box, knowing how the 4080 box comes together, i am a bit unsure about just tossing the fiberglass in there. it could work...but the leak is at the front far corner of the box that i think its just coming apart...the issue is i dont think i can get glass actually onto the leaking bits, i can probably stuff it, but with the two part bond of the box, i am more or less concerned about it continuing to get worse with just a bit of duraglass in that corner. but it is a possiblity
Drill out the ends to stop the spread of the crack, then then fill and cover the existing crack.

Kinda like this: http://www.kayak-repair-central.com/plastic-repair.html

Old 07-09-2014, 02:53 AM
Thanks guys. The Simplicity in Sound crew did a great job. Sound is definitely much better on the front stage now that I have the comps installed. I can actually hear the vocals now with my subs. lol.