Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4000nex vs ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
4000nex vs ?

So far I've been seeing the pioneer 4000nex is the main choice of DDIN unit.
Is there any direct competitors to that system that is possibly better or cheaper?

So far the 4000nex I've been finding are pretty pricey. But it seems potentially worth it asides from the lack of GPS.

And on a side note, where can I find a JDM DDIN kit? (Shipping to canada is a huge +)

Old 07-20-2014, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
From a previous member. OEM been is so-so lately (corrected) and pricy.

Last edited by Urbanengineer; 07-22-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan268
Is there any direct competitors to that system that is possibly better or cheaper?

So far the 4000nex I've been finding are pretty pricey. But it seems potentially worth it asides from the lack of GPS.

And on a side note, where can I find a JDM DDIN kit? (Shipping to canada is a huge +)
The nice thing about the NEX units is mirroring your (supported) smartphone, so you get the best navigation around instead of the garbage one included with the headunit.

JDM DDin are backordered right now, so keep your eye out for a used one.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The nice thing about the NEX units is mirroring your (supported) smartphone, so you get the best navigation around instead of the garbage one included with the headunit.

JDM DDin are backordered right now, so keep your eye out for a used one.
Thats one of the main selling point for me on the NEX aside from it's pure sexiness. Only downside I could find was if you're roaming on your phone.

Now time to play the waiting game with the JDM units...

EDIT: What are some vendors that sell the JDM units? Only ones that I found were nissaninfinitiparts and an older older one on ebay.

Last edited by Spartan268; 07-21-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thats one of the main selling point for me on the NEX aside from it's pure sexiness. Only downside I could find was if you're roaming on your phone.

Now time to play the waiting game with the JDM units...

EDIT: What are some vendors that sell the JDM units? Only ones that I found were nissaninfinitiparts and an older older one on ebay.
The reliable sources are in my shopping list.

The following users liked this post:
Spartan268 (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The reliable sources are in my shopping list.
Funny how it's on sale at the nissan race shop and it's all back-ordered with no ETA.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JVC KW V50BT looks like a viable competitor for almost $200 less than the 4000nex. Also does smartphone mirroring via MHL. Reviews for both seem pretty good. I'm currently on the fence between the two. If anybody has experience with either of these (and especially with mirroring an android phone) I'd love to hear about it.

I'm also frustrated by the lack of JDM DDIN kits and I think I'm just going to go with the Metra.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by fattyspecial
The JVC KW V50BT looks like a viable competitor for almost $200 less than the 4000nex. Also does smartphone mirroring via MHL. Reviews for both seem pretty good. I'm currently on the fence between the two. If anybody has experience with either of these (and especially with mirroring an android phone) I'd love to hear about it.

I'm also frustrated by the lack of JDM DDIN kits and I think I'm just going to go with the Metra.
The JVC looks pretty good for this, but information on supported apps and phones and such seems limited:

But for under $400 on amazon (currently), it looks like a nice option.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm still on the lookout for the DDIN as well. I'll rather wait and have the same high quality look than downgrade the entirety of the center dash for the DDIN radio. I guess I want to do things right the first time you know what I mean.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'm still on the lookout for the DDIN as well. I'll rather wait and have the same high quality look than downgrade the entirety of the center dash for the DDIN radio. I guess I want to do things right the first time you know what I mean.
Totally understand. I really hope that a new batch of the trim gets produced. I'm thinking the best option may be for somebody (who am I kidding, it'll probably be me...) to put together a quick vector-based drawing that can be followed by any shop with a cutting laser (trophy shops frequently do) to cut the factory trim as close as possible to a DDIn opening. So long as the JDM climate controls remain available, there's at least that option. Some people have done manual cutting methods on their trim, with mixed results:

Done pretty well, but you can clearly see the opening is a bit larger than DDin:
Name:  photo-43.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  photo-45.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  photo-47.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  59.1 KB

Cut lower for a single din + opening:

Old 10-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually think that looks really really good. I would take that over the metra any day. I still need to buy the a/c controls separately for that setup though correct?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I actually think that looks really really good. I would take that over the metra any day. I still need to buy the a/c controls separately for that setup though correct?
Yes. Hopefully you can still find some. I'd like to try retrofitting stock buttons onto a metra climate control board though, but nobody's sent me their parts to experiment with.