Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple TV/ Kivic One integration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ivory Pearl G35 Coupe
Apple TV/ Kivic One integration

I have an 05 G35 coupe 6MT with nav and dual climate. I currently have an iSimple kit running bluetooth and/or usb connection for audio off my iPhone. Because it's nearly impossible to purchase a double din nav/ dual climate, I was looking for alternate media options. What I'd like to have:
  1. Back-Up Camera
  2. Video
  3. Navigation
  4. Phone Calls
  5. OBD Engine Info: Speed, Tach, Temp, Fuel
  6. Steering Wheel Controls

I would consider buying a HU off ebay and chopping it up to fit a DD Pioneer deck, but I'm not sure even were to begin. The Kivic One and Apple TV can mirror your iPhone, but I'm not sure it can incorporate a back up camera. Can someone give me your opinion or point me in the right direction. The

Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Jyounya
I have an 05 G35 coupe 6MT with nav and dual climate. I currently have an iSimple kit running bluetooth and/or usb connection for audio off my iPhone. Because it's nearly impossible to purchase a double din nav/ dual climate, I was looking for alternate media options. What I'd like to have:
  1. Back-Up Camera
  2. Video
  3. Navigation
  4. Phone Calls
  5. OBD Engine Info: Speed, Tach, Temp, Fuel
  6. Steering Wheel Controls

I would consider buying a HU off ebay and chopping it up to fit a DD Pioneer deck, but I'm not sure even were to begin. The Kivic One and Apple TV can mirror your iPhone, but I'm not sure it can incorporate a back up camera. Can someone give me your opinion or point me in the right direction. The
Just wait for the JDM DD to get back in stock, then put in a headunit that does what you want out of the box. If you're replacing a headunit already, spending $200+ on a Kivic One is a waste.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
Jyounya (07-20-2014), Urbanengineer (07-21-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Ivory Pearl G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Just wait for the JDM DD to get back in stock, then put in a headunit that does what you want out of the box. If you're replacing a headunit already, spending $200+ on a Kivic One is a waste.
I thought they were done for. So the DD's will be back in stock soon? Do we have an expectancy on when they'll be available? Would you suggest HU like the pioneer app radio, or something standard?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Jyounya
I thought they were done for. So the DD's will be back in stock soon? Do we have an expectancy on when they'll be available? Would you suggest HU like the pioneer app radio, or something standard?
I haven't heard discontinued from anyone, just backordered. It's happened several times over the years I've been paying attention, but now that we're reaching the mythical 10-year mark, perhaps they'll stop making them available. In which case, Metra or used will be the only options, beyond hacking together one from your original.

Appradio seems kinda hit-or-miss, but is pretty hackable. Right now I'd go with the 4000 NEX if you have a well-supported phone, or the Parrot Asteroid Smart, which works great when you can use your phone to give it a data connection.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
4000 Nex seems to be the head unit of the future. But it all depends what you want out of your head unit. The appradio is nice but has little things that make it annoying. What I like is it keeps me from texting and driving .

Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
4000 Nex seems to be the head unit of the future. But it all depends what you want out of your head unit. The appradio is nice but has little things that make it annoying. What I like is it keeps me from texting and driving .
Yeah, the NEX series seem like Pioneer's first new mainstream headunits since the AVIC-F series came out in 2008. It's long overdue and, honestly, still missed a few things. I really wish all the models had an HDMI input, and I'm crossing my fingers that the HDMI input becomes as ubiquitous as the 3.5mm aux input jack.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Ivory Pearl G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Appradio seems kinda hit-or-miss, but is pretty hackable. Right now I'd go with the 4000 NEX if you have a well-supported phone, or the Parrot Asteroid Smart, which works great when you can use your phone to give it a data connection.
Thanks Wrathernaut and Urbanengineer. I see both your names all over the Audio, Video & Electronics threads here. You two do gods work here my friends. I did some research on the NEX series and it seems the 5000 NEX has HDMI A/V inputs. I think the options you all mentions for HU will definitely take care of my A/V needs. Now I just have to wait for a DD Kit to become available.

Last edited by Jyounya; 07-24-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Ivory Pearl G35 Coupe
I hate to bother you two again. Should I go ahead and put my order in? If so, where would you recommend? I sent Phil @ GRUBBS a PM, but I haven't gotten a response. I searched good and found this Nissan website that says it's back ordered, but it seems to let me place the order anyway. Are there any other sites that could potentially save me a couple of bucks. (I'm regretting not buying one of these when they were around $320-$350). 2005-2007 Dual Climate w/Navigation.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'd wait until they're in stock before ordering.

The following users liked this post:
Jyounya (07-25-2014)