Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DashCommand app for iphone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
DashCommand app for iphone

Just got my OBDII port ELM with wifi to hook up to my iPhone 4s and iPad 4.

Got questions for you DashCommand users.

What PIDs do you monitor?
What dashboard do you use?
What PIDs don't work?
How do you mount your iPhone/iPad/monitor to read the data?

Thank you for the info!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Can't get any of the MPG, GPH, or anything to do with fuel, fuel pressure, etc.

Anybody know if you can enter a PID in the MAF or MAP area of the Advanced section and get this thing working?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Unfortunately the limits of the elm327 can only pick up what is reported to the OBD2 port. Mpg is calculated by things you input, fuel pressure is wrong, AFR is only so accurate with stock O2 sensors.

It's fun to monitor some things but the G35 is not great for OBD2 monitoring.... You need standalone gauges for most of these really important things (oil pressure, why this isn't reported to OBD I don't know).

Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

I set the iphone in the ash tray thing, connected to my charger so it doesn't move around.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I was hoping to get some kind of fuel flow / average mpg / gallons per hour or something out of it.

Some have reported getting the Kiwi and Ultragauge to work and get MPG, GPH, average MPG, etc, so wondering why DashCommand with an ELM does not.

Maybe I broke it.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Bringing back my old thread back up.

Finally got the MPG working. Works pretty good. I can get instant and average mpg, along with fuel flow (gallons per hour). It even maps how what your mpg is over the last 6 minutes in minute intervals, the last 30 minutes in 5 minute intervals, and the last 3 hours in 30 minute intervals. I find the intake temp and coolant temp are nice to have as well. Was able to see if adding a z tube, k&n filter and motordyne spacer made any changes to intake temp (it didn't, ha!) and track my coolant temp when I had a coolant leak (minor drip, screw clamp fixed it easy).

To get it all working, basically deleted the app, reloaded it, and the next time I hooked it up to the car worked well.

Next question, trying to get the voltmeter up and displayed.

Is there a PID for voltmeter and does anybody know how to get it up on DashCommand for the G35?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Which OBD ELM are you using? I've tried a couple now and they both worked once then stopped working altogether. These cheap $20 ones don't seem to be worth it.

I assume you can't get fuel level or fuel remaining?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Which OBD ELM are you using? I've tried a couple now and they both worked once then stopped working altogether. These cheap $20 ones don't seem to be worth it.

I assume you can't get fuel level or fuel remaining?
Yes, it's a cheap 20 dollar one off Amazon. And correct, I cannot get fuel level or fuel remaining. Also can't get voltage, which would be really nice.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Hatchman
Yes, it's a cheap 20 dollar one off Amazon. And correct, I cannot get fuel level or fuel remaining. Also can't get voltage, which would be really nice.
Thanks. Can't seem to find good luck with the cheap ones yet and I hate to shell out $100 for one of the "better" ones, especially if I can't get fuel level, which would be one of the main reasons for getting it.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Thanks. Can't seem to find good luck with the cheap ones yet and I hate to shell out $100 for one of the "better" ones, especially if I can't get fuel level, which would be one of the main reasons for getting it.
You might think about looking to see if the ECU can output that to OBD first, which it can't.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
You might think about looking to see if the ECU can output that to OBD first, which it can't.
I'd be happy to but Is that in the FSM?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Went a different route. Got a Windows WinBook TW700 tablet and an BlueTooth ELM327 dongle and downloaded the OBDdash Pro app.

A few less gauges available, but it has only been out for a month in the app store, so still lots advances to go. The default gauge layout (lot of orange) looks pretty good with our stock orange gauges and dash color.

Lost the "average fuel" gauge, (only instant) and a lot of the display functions and still no "voltage" or "Fuel Level".

But, considering I paid about 70 bucks for the tablet, app, and dongle, it's a pretty good deal for a handful of gauges and code clearing capability.

For features, DashCommand and an Apple device (pad,phone) is much better, but much more $$$.

Atleast with the tablet I can run my gauges on the tablet using bluetooth and run my gps/nav apps (Waze) on the iPhone using 3G.
When using DashCommand, you have to use a WiFi dongle, so you loose your carrier connection as the phone just goes into the wifi, so no internet capability while the phone is hooked up to the obd2 wifi dongle..

Will try it for a while and see of I can get some more gauges/PIDs programmed in.

Last edited by Hatchman; 02-22-2015 at 11:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hatchman:
G35fromPA (02-23-2015), Urbanengineer (02-22-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Finally found an OBD dongle that seems to work. I found a bluetooth one and am testing it out with an old DroidX phone that I had lying around, running Torque Pro.

It works, but the data available really is quite limited from the ECM. Everything related to fuel consumption is based off of fuel flow, and the related gauges seem pretty useless, IMHO. The estimated fuel and range remaining are way off, and the MPG calcs seem off to me too. Not sure there's that much that's really helpful to monitor given the limited data coming from our ECM, but it is a cool gadget.

Last edited by G35fromPA; 02-26-2015 at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hatchman (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Same here. With the DashCommand using wifi dongle with an iPhone, and with OBDdash.pro using bluetooth dongle with a WinBook tablet, both show fuel consumption and mpg computed to be way off.

Both of them say I am getting an average of 28-32 mpg, and neither one has fuel level, miles remaining till empty, and OBDdash only has instant mpg and not average over any period of time.

Still, it's cool to play with and atleast I can see engine coolant temp and inlet air temperature.

By the way, what kind of air filter/intake do you have and what is it show for IAT?
I have K&N drop in and a factory Z tube, and my IAT is always 5F over outside air temperate... when driving down the highway. When I stop, it starts creeping up.

5F over ambient seems low to me, I'm used to seeing around 60F over with my old "hot as hell" Kenne Bell twin screw setup. Apparently air likes to get hot when it is compressed...

Then again, the IAT sensor is in the MAF, which is right behind the air filter, so not much time for engine heat to get it hot.

Last edited by Hatchman; 02-27-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM
I have stock intake with a drop-in HKS filter. I haven't looked that much at IAT, but I believe when I did look it was at least 50-55 much of the time, and it's been in the teens and 20's here in the Philly area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DashCommand app for iphone