Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

04 Coupe, no audio coming from front and subwoofers speakers

Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Coupe, no audio coming from front and subwoofers speakers

I have a problem with my Bose system speakers, I was driving to work and by the sudden I hear an static noise coming from the front and subwoofers speakers and then no sound from them. With the symptoms decribed it could be possible that the amp or the head unit went bad? I got sound from the rear speakers ( the ones on the quarter panels). Also when I press the voice button on the nav control the volume of the speakers that work fade but no sound from the nav voice. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by luisr1031
I have a problem with my Bose system speakers, I was driving to work and by the sudden I hear an static noise coming from the front and subwoofers speakers and then no sound from them. With the symptoms decribed it could be possible that the amp or the head unit went bad? I got sound from the rear speakers ( the ones on the quarter panels). Also when I press the voice button on the nav control the volume of the speakers that work fade but no sound from the nav voice. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Is it with radio or just CDs? If it's just CDs, it could be the ribbon cable - check this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...e-diy-fix.html

Nav voice only goes to the front, so it makes sense if the front channel's messed up you're only muting the rear audio while it tries to play.

I don't see a description in the service manual that clearly says the subwoofer channel is created from the front speaker channels, but based on your results, I would assume that's the case.

If it's all sources, headunit or amp could be to blame. If you connect a small speaker up to the audio signal wires going into the bose amp, you might be able to hear if the signal is bad going to it and determine if it's the headunit or amp that's killing the signal.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the signal wires going a in and out of the amp?

Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
You should only have to check one to see if the input signal to the amp is ok:
At the bose amp input harness, driver's door audio signal is WHITE (+) and ORANGE (-). Something like a headphone speaker (a cheap dollar-store one will do, just cut the wire and shove the wires alongside the ones in the harness while it's connected to the amp) should generate output from the input signal enough to check if it's the same noise you're hearing from the speakers, or if it's the proper audio signal. It my be noisy, since it's a differential-balanced audio signal, but the difference (or lack thereof) between it and what's coming out your speakers should be obvious.

The following users liked this post:
luisr1031 (08-16-2014)