Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2006 G35 Coupe Double DIN Total Cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 G35 Coupe Double DIN Total Cost?

I don't have too much cash to spend, so was looking to get a basic double DIN like the Kenwood DPX500BT ($136 on Amazon) installed. I don't need any of the frills, just something that sounds as good as the stock system.

Emailed a few shops in the area and they're quoting me $850 to get something similar installed! Is that reasonable? If not, then how much should I expect to spend? If it's cheaper to buy my own parts and take it to an independent guy that's fine too, but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of parts.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
$850 is ridiculous considering they'd be using the metra kit. If they were using a JDM kit, that would be about right, but that's something you have to acquire by yourself.

If I were you, I would get a jdm kit, Axxess steering wheel control module, the PAC aai-nis2 and the stereo of your choice. Based on the cost of the stereo you said you want it should be about $600 before labor. Then have someone who's competent install it, and be sure to show them Wrathernaut's wiring diagram.

You could get the parts a bit cheaper if you went with a Metra kit instead of the JDM, but the metra looks really bad, so you'd have to live with the rubber buttons.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
$850 is ridiculous considering they'd be using the metra kit. If they were using a JDM kit, that would be about right, but that's something you have to acquire by yourself.

If I were you, I would get a jdm kit, Axxess steering wheel control module, the PAC aai-nis2 and the stereo of your choice. Based on the cost of the stereo you said you want it should be about $600 before labor. Then have someone who's competent install it, and be sure to show them Wrathernaut's wiring diagram.

You could get the parts a bit cheaper if you went with a Metra kit instead of the JDM, but the metra looks really bad, so you'd have to live with the rubber buttons.
That helps, thanks. Is there any way to repair the system at a local shop? I live in Atlanta and haven't been able to find anyone to do it.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt Porter
I don't have too much cash to spend, so was looking to get a basic double DIN like the Kenwood DPX500BT ($136 on Amazon) installed. I don't need any of the frills, just something that sounds as good as the stock system.

Emailed a few shops in the area and they're quoting me $850 to get something similar installed! Is that reasonable? If not, then how much should I expect to spend? If it's cheaper to buy my own parts and take it to an independent guy that's fine too, but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of parts.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
$136 radio
$225 used J DM kit (check the marketplace right now!)
$40 steering wheel adapter
$10 (non-bose) or $40 (bose) wiring harness/adapter
$10 antenna adapter
(optional - soldering pen, solder and heatshrink, $15 @ harbor freight)
==========
$421-451 + shipping

You've got an '06, which is very easy to remove the radio from, and I've got plenty of instructions and resources if you want to do it yourself - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html

Plus, I'm about four hours away in Savannah, I'll do it for the cost of lunch. I've got all the tools and such to do it, and have done it a "few" times. Hit me up with a PM and we can arrange a weekend to get it done.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
^take wrather up on this. He is the source of information I used. You won't get a better install.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Wrathernaut,
So I'm looking into buying a dd. Are the bose hanesses just a plug in?

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
$136 radio
$225 used J DM kit (check the marketplace right now!)
$40 steering wheel adapter
$10 (non-bose) or $40 (bose) wiring harness/adapter
$10 antenna adapter
(optional - soldering pen, solder and heatshrink, $15 @ harbor freight)
==========
$421-451 + shipping

You've got an '06, which is very easy to remove the radio from, and I've got plenty of instructions and resources if you want to do it yourself - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html

Plus, I'm about four hours away in Savannah, I'll do it for the cost of lunch. I've got all the tools and such to do it, and have done it a "few" times. Hit me up with a PM and we can arrange a weekend to get it done.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by christopherv5
Hey Wrathernaut,
So I'm looking into buying a dd. Are the bose hanesses just a plug in?
They plug into the vehicle's harness, but the have to be soldered (or crimped if you're half-assing things) to the new radio's harness.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright cool, one last ?.
If I have the ac controls that still work can i use them along with a new JDM DD that doesnt have the controls?
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
They plug into the vehicle's harness, but the have to be soldered (or crimped if you're half-assing things) to the new radio's harness.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
If I have the ac controls that still work can i use them along with a new JDM DD that doesnt have the controls?
You won't be able to use the USDM A/C Controls with the JDM kit. You will need the complete JDM kit with A/C Controls.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No. https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ontroller.html