Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 G35 Sedan Adding Sub to Bose *HELP*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 G35 Sedan Adding Sub to Bose *HELP*

Hey guys well im trying to install a aftermarket amp and sub to the stock bose sound system. I followed this https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...se-system.html DIY but as you can see i do not have the Blue plug in the back. But yet it is still bose...

I have done this before on my g35 coupe. I have the Line out converter LOC but i just need to know were to splice in the wires at?

Here is a pic of my LOC

Can someone please show me where to splice in my

White Solid -->?
White With Black -->?
Grey Solid -->?
Grey with Black -->?

Here are pics of the harness it came out the stock amp.

And here are the wires that plug into the stock sub.

So does anyone know which plug i splice into? and if i have to splice into the plug that goes to the sub, do i connect it back?

Thank you for your help.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Use this plug right here:

The 03 woofer has a separate amplifier.

Pin 1 - Thin Black: Audio Signal -
Pin 2 - White: Audio Signal +
Pin 4 - Green/white: Amp ON signal wire

Pin 5 - Thick Black: Ground (nowhere near thick enough for a real amp)
Pin 6 - Thick Red: +12v (nowhere near enough power for a real amp)

Just use the audio and power on signal wires from that plug directly into your amplifier - don't go through the LOC, since it's already a line-level signal. Don't reconnect it to the factory subwoofer.

If output is extremely noisy set up that way, your amp wasn't designed for the balanced audio signal from the bose headunit, in which case you'll have to take the plastic cover off and tap the wires going directly to the subwoofer and run them through the LOC.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Use this plug right here:

The 03 woofer has a separate amplifier.

Pin 1 - Thin Black: Audio Signal -
Pin 2 - White: Audio Signal +
Pin 4 - Green/white: Amp ON signal wire

Pin 5 - Thick Black: Ground (nowhere near thick enough for a real amp)
Pin 6 - Thick Red: +12v (nowhere near enough power for a real amp)

Just use the audio and power on signal wires from that plug directly into your amplifier - don't go through the LOC, since it's already a line-level signal. Don't reconnect it to the factory subwoofer.

If output is extremely noisy set up that way, your amp wasn't designed for the balanced audio signal from the bose headunit, in which case you'll have to take the plastic cover off and tap the wires going directly to the subwoofer and run them through the LOC.
could i have taken the 4 wires from the LOC and put both positives together and both negatives together.

Then can i splice the 2 positive LOC wires into the Pin 2 - White: Audio Signal + and the 2 negatives to the Pin 1 - Thin Black: Audio Signal -

Old 01-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The LOC is for converting a speaker-level signal to a line signal.
The signal from the pictured harness is already a line-level signal.
You don't need the LOC to use that line-level signal with an aftermarket amp.
Put the line-level signal from that harness directly to your aftermarket amp.

If your amp doesn't take the balanced signal, you'll have to run it through the bose amp before sending it to your LOC in order to convert it from balanced to unbalanced. If you end up running through both the bose amp and the LOC, only use one of the signal paths on the LOC, leaving the other pair unconnected.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 AM
The LOC is for converting a speaker-level signal to a line signal.
The signal from the pictured harness is already a line-level signal.
You don't need the LOC to use that line-level signal with an aftermarket amp.
Put the line-level signal from that harness directly to your aftermarket amp.

If your amp doesn't take the balanced signal, you'll have to run it through the bose amp before sending it to your LOC in order to convert it from balanced to unbalanced. If you end up running through both the bose amp and the LOC, only use one of the signal paths on the LOC, leaving the other pair unconnected.
how to i put it directly to my amp? where do i put it? wouldnt i need the rca plug things?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Xx AzN xX
how to i put it directly to my amp? where do i put it? wouldnt i need the rca plug things?
Cut an RCA cable in half, solder it to the wires going into the harness. Negative goes to the outside ring of the RCA connector, the positive signal goes to the center.

Amp mounting location depends on the size of the amp and where you want it. You might be able to get away with mounting it under the rear deck in the location of the factory sub by making a bracket, you can put it on the back of the rear seats by installing a mounting board underneath, or make a shelf to go under the rear deck.

Even more inspiration can be found here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...m-gallery.html

Old 01-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Cut an RCA cable in half, solder it to the wires going into the harness. Negative goes to the outside ring of the RCA connector, the positive signal goes to the center.

Even more inspiration can be found here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...m-gallery.html
Ok i kinda understand what your saying. Ok so i cut the rca cable in half. My rca cable is lables red and black. I connect the the uncut end to my amp. Now the other end where do i connect those 2? On that harness right that goes into the sub? If you can help me out with where. Im not sure what the "outside ring of the rca connector snd the center means?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Oh ok got you. Does it matter where that one rca plug goes into the amps left or rights input?

also, could i have done it this way? from the plug going into the amp, could i have connected my LOC Negative and positive wires to the 4 wires that they go to from this diagram?
For example from my LOC

White Solid to Brown
White Striped to Yellow
Grey Solid to Blue
Grey Striped to Pink?

Last edited by Xx AzN xX; 01-06-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Oh ok got you. Does it matter where that one rca plug goes into the amps left or rights input?

also, could i have done it this way? from the plug going into the amp, could i have connected my LOC Negative and positive wires to the 4 wires that they go to from this diagram?
For example from my LOC

White Solid to Brown
White Striped to Yellow
Grey Solid to Blue
Grey Striped to Pink?

Depends on the amplifier.

Are you trying to replace the amplifier for the front/rear speakers, or just the subwoofer? If you're not replacing the amplifier for those speakers, don't mess with that signal.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Depends on the amplifier.

Are you trying to replace the amplifier for the front/rear speakers, or just the subwoofer? If you're not replacing the amplifier for those speakers, don't mess with that signal.
Well last time i did this i had a g35 coupe and i splice the wires in that way and it work fine. I followed this link. https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g35-coupe.html

Post number 4. All i did was splice my LOC to the wires in the blue plug and it worked. but i think its different for this one. ?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

It's different. You were connecting to two full-range speaker-level signals in the coupe, you're connecting to a single line-level subwoofer signal in the sedan.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 PM
It's different. You were connecting to two full-range speaker-level signals in the coupe, you're connecting to a single line-level subwoofer signal in the sedan.
And for the amp i have a kicker mono amp. http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...FUMV7AodyW8AEQ

On the rca ports it has INPUT right and left. And OUTPUT right and left. From that wouldnyou know where i would put that one rca cable that is rigged up?

also for the second option if it doesnt sound good, you said i can connect it directly to the sub using the LOC? if thats the case where would i connect the wires from my LOC? and if i need to keep it unpluged or what not.

Im sorry for all these questions, Thing is i dont have my radio, i sent it out to get fixed, or else i would be trying all this out. I figure i ask the questions now so to save time I want to thank you for answering all my questions i really appreciate it.

Last edited by Xx AzN xX; 01-07-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

And for the amp i have a kicker mono amp. http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...FUMV7AodyW8AEQ

On the rca ports it has INPUT right and left. And OUTPUT right and left. From that wouldnyou know where i would put that one rca cable that is rigged up?

also for the second option if it doesnt sound good, you said i can connect it directly to the sub using the LOC? if thats the case where would i connect the wires from my LOC? and if i need to keep it unpluged or what not.

Im sorry for all these questions, Thing is i dont have my radio, i sent it out to get fixed, or else i would be trying all this out. I figure i ask the questions now so to save time I want to thank you for answering all my questions i really appreciate it.
Usually, if the amp has two input channels for a mono amp, you'll use the left RCA input if you already have a mono input, the manual for the zx300.1 doesn't mention this configuration, but does bold the left signal line in the diagram. Alternatively, you can just splice both RCAs identically to the diagram I drew, and connect them to both the left and right inputs. Set the amp input level to "LOW".

If it sound very noisy with either of these configurations, your amp does not accept differential-balanced signals. You can then connect the spliced RCA connections to the red and green wires going to the bose sub (after disconnecting them from the bose sub) and set the amp input level to "HIGH".

Old 01-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Usually, if the amp has two input channels for a mono amp, you'll use the left RCA input if you already have a mono input, the manual for the zx300.1 doesn't mention this configuration, but does bold the left signal line in the diagram. Alternatively, you can just splice both RCAs identically to the diagram I drew, and connect them to both the left and right inputs. Set the amp input level to "LOW".

If it sound very noisy with either of these configurations, your amp does not accept differential-balanced signals. You can then connect the spliced RCA connections to the red and green wires going to the bose sub (after disconnecting them from the bose sub) and set the amp input level to "HIGH".
Ok to clarify for the last method. All i have to do is splice right rca plug to the two red wires and the left rca plug to the two green wires? No need for the LOC?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03 G35 Sedan Adding Sub to Bose *HELP*