Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced 04 Radio with OEM Bose..Still problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replaced 04 Radio with OEM Bose..Still problems.

I have an 04 G35 Sedan with 94k miles, recently the notorious radio failure happened to me. I got on ebay and was lucky enough to find just the radio and circuit control for $200.

Difference being that this radio/circuit is from a Bose equipped G35. It also had a Remanufactured sticker on it, so Im thinking the board was replaced under warranty.

I installed it yesterday, everything works..A/C controls, Radio, CD, Tape, RDS etc..But the audio is poor quality. It is no where near what my stock non-Bose speakers sounded like. Scratchy, Tinny, No real bass.

Also the volume is way off, at 24 it sounds like my old stereo at 14. All the way up at 31 it sounds quite scratchy. My speakers were just fine before this install. It also sounds this way with a CD, so I've ruled out the antenna being the culprit.

I'm wondering if the fact that I don't have the Bose amplifier/subwoofer, and just the Bose radio/control circuit in an otherwise Non-Bose car is causing this problem??

I should also note that there was an addition of a Dual Zone control button, which obviously doesnt work, and my clock was not illuminated last night.

I replaced all the fuses today just to rule it out, the 10 and 15 Amp ones in the driver's side compartment.

I'm at a loss and really don't want to have to go the double din route since Ive already spent 200 on this. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM
This is what I bought

Replaced 04 Radio with OEM Bose..Still problems.-vydlnzc.jpg

Controls and Radio (6 disc changer, tape, etc)

Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
so your car does not have the bose amp correct?
the amp is what gives the speakers power. so if you just installed the radio you are bumming.
you need the amp or a non bose head unit. or an aftermarket one.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by bryanr
I have an 04 G35 Sedan with 94k miles, recently the notorious radio failure happened to me. I got on ebay and was lucky enough to find just the radio and circuit control for $200.

Difference being that this radio/circuit is from a Bose equipped G35. It also had a Remanufactured sticker on it, so Im thinking the board was replaced under warranty.

I installed it yesterday, everything works..A/C controls, Radio, CD, Tape, RDS etc..But the audio is poor quality. It is no where near what my stock non-Bose speakers sounded like. Scratchy, Tinny, No real bass.

Also the volume is way off, at 24 it sounds like my old stereo at 14. All the way up at 31 it sounds quite scratchy. My speakers were just fine before this install. It also sounds this way with a CD, so I've ruled out the antenna being the culprit.

I'm wondering if the fact that I don't have the Bose amplifier/subwoofer, and just the Bose radio/control circuit in an otherwise Non-Bose car is causing this problem??

I should also note that there was an addition of a Dual Zone control button, which obviously doesnt work, and my clock was not illuminated last night.

I replaced all the fuses today just to rule it out, the 10 and 15 Amp ones in the driver's side compartment.

I'm at a loss and really don't want to have to go the double din route since Ive already spent 200 on this. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!
Yeah, asking some basic questions in this forum would have saved you $200 and some time.

The bose uses an external amplifier, without that, you're not going to get any power to the speakers. I'm surprised it's even audible. Adding to the power level problems, the bose headunit outputs a differential-balanced audio signal - read more about that here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-stock-hu.html

I can't say if the radio is related to the clock light going out, but if you've got one from a different year (03 vs 04) I could see the illumination being different enough to cause the problem.

Even if you picked up the bose amp, you still have none of the wiring to support it, so you can either try and return that HU to the seller (good luck) or just try and sell it and get a non-bose HU, or even better, put an aftermarket unit in there. Any 04 radio is going to be just as old, and just as close to failure as your old one.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yeah, asking some basic questions in this forum would have saved you $200 and some time.

The bose uses an external amplifier, without that, you're not going to get any power to the speakers. I'm surprised it's even audible.

Even if you picked up the bose amp, you still have none of the wiring to support it, so you can either try and return that HU to the seller (good luck) or just try and sell it and get a non-bose HU, or even better,
Yes, I should have asked first. But I saw how much the units usually go for that include the trim on eBay, $400+, so I jumped on this one.

I understand there's no wiring in place for the amp and sub, but couldn't this be done? If I get the oem bose amp and sub or a comparable amp and sub, couldn't I wire that in?

I'm thinking of the most cost effective route, if I can buy the amp and sub and wire it in that would be cheaper than buying the Metra Kit and double din. Unless I can find a non bose unit.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by bryanr
Yes, I should have asked first. But I saw how much the units usually go for that include the trim on eBay, $400+, so I jumped on this one.

I understand there's no wiring in place for the amp and sub, but couldn't this be done? If I get the oem bose amp and sub or a comparable amp and sub, couldn't I wire that in?

I'm thinking of the most cost effective route, if I can buy the amp and sub and wire it in that would be cheaper than buying the Metra Kit and double din. Unless I can find a non bose unit.
Forget installing the bose_amp, it's horrible and nobody who sells one is going to tear out the complete a/v and dash wiring harness to sell with it, and you're a stubborn as a mule if you're going to tear out your interior to put it in. So, you'd have to build the wiring yourself, but if you could do that, you wouldn't be asking about it here.

Instead, you could get a small JL audio 4-channel amplifier (like this), since they're capable of taking the differential-balanced signal from the bose unit. Mount it under the passenger seat, extend the audio wires to and from it, and run new 8-gauge power wires. Total cost is about $130-150.

Total cost including the headunit you bought, is $350.

The metrakit runs about $170, while a good (non-touchscreen) double-din unit with more capability than the factory unit can be had for $110 from pioneer. Throw in the steering wheel control unit ($40) and a wiring harness ($10) and antenna adapter ($10), and you're up to $340.

So, you're at essentially the same price, but the pioneer unit gives you bluetooth calls and audio streaming capability, PLUS, it's not a decade old refurbished unit.

Sell the factory units for whatever you can get and go aftermarket.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Thank you for all of your help. I'll be contacting the store Monday to inquire about a return. Lesson learned, ask first and make sure.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I just bought this alpine 4-channel (45x4, but that's real power not peak)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u

Its waaayyy more than I need, super compact, gets great reviews and I see some going for $70 used on eBay (or $149 new at best buy. Either way its a good price for 4 channels). Can't go wrong.

At 1/4 volume my stereo is almost unlistenably loud now and I don't have any sub's or anything. Sounds great and is super clear.

Its a little bigger than a Jawbone Jambox too, so you can put it pretty much anywhere.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
I just bought this alpine 4-channel (45x4, but that's real power not peak)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u

Its waaayyy more than I need, super compact, gets great reviews and I see some going for $70 used on eBay (or $149 new at best buy. Either way its a good price for 4 channels). Can't go wrong.

At 1/4 volume my stereo is almost unlistenably loud now and I don't have any sub's or anything. Sounds great and is super clear.

Its a little bigger than a Jawbone Jambox too, so you can put it pretty much anywhere.
That's the way to go if you don't have the Bose head unit, and are fine with the factory speakers.