Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help troubleshoot Amp

Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts
Help troubleshoot Amp

Polk audio mm 900watt amp and mm components.

Guys, so as of lately I have been having this noise in my speakers. Its worse on driver side. First I thought it was a lose connection but after I took one of the speakers straight to the amp without the xover. I have the attached sound. Its a lot louder in the recording but its still audiable when the radio is on. A weird thing too is if I tap the speaker, noise goes away until I turn it on again.

I tested all the outputs. Its definitely worse on my front left channel. The rear channels, its hardly noticable.

I checked all the gains and they are barely 1/4 turn to max.

https://soundcloud.com/digitaldeviant/amp-noise

Old 03-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Well talked to a buddy of mine. First thing he had me check turned out to be the problem. Bad remote wire to amp. Tested by tapping 12v and jumping. So looks like ill be running a new remote wire. Yay. This sh|t was driving me mad.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviant
Well talked to a buddy of mine. First thing he had me check turned out to be the problem. Bad remote wire to amp. Tested by tapping 12v and jumping. So looks like ill be running a new remote wire. Yay. This sh|t was driving me mad.
You've solved a problem on my sisters car too lol.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
You've solved a problem on my sisters car too lol.
Nice! Apparently the amp kits come with crap remote wires. So just get some stinger series. Good stuff.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
weird why would the remote wire constantly cause sound issues? I thought all they do is tell the amp to turn on and off? im no sound expert

Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by saywat?
weird why would the remote wire constantly cause sound issues? I thought all they do is tell the amp to turn on and off? im no sound expert
Power always runs through it. I ran it through the same path as my front left speaker.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:10 PM
So, this didn't solve the problem. So here is an update.

Background:
I currently have a Polk Audio 900w digital amp with polk audio MM components. All wiring is separated from power, ground and RCAs, including relay for remote turn on. All speaker wiring is crimped, head shrunk and terminated. Ground is on a factory grounding point which is clean (and tested). I have tested this with both factory wiring and clean wiring and get the same results.

Issue:
Car is in the "on" position. Amp turns on (rca inputs have been disconnected). I can hear the amp turn on thru the speakers. I have provided a sound link to listen. It's at the 10 sec mark.
https://soundcloud.com/digitaldeviant/amp-noise-2

After that, the static continues slightly thru most speakers. However, my drivers side front is worse. A weird thing too is if I tap the speaker (drivers side) when it's making this noise, it stops in that speaker. Below is the sound from that speaker after the init sound is gone and this one remains. This is at the 8 sec mark.
https://soundcloud.com/digitaldeviant/amp-noise-3

Any advice / help would be appreciated because I have been chasing this down for two weeks now.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

So, this didn't solve the problem. So here is an update. Background: I currently have a Polk Audio 900w digital amp with polk audio MM components. All wiring is separated from power, ground and RCAs, including relay for remote turn on. All speaker wiring is crimped, head shrunk and terminated. Ground is on a factory grounding point which is clean (and tested). I have tested this with both factory wiring and clean wiring and get the same results. Issue: Car is in the "on" position. Amp turns on (rca inputs have been disconnected). I can hear the amp turn on thru the speakers. I have provided a sound link to listen. It's at the 10 sec mark. https://soundcloud.com/digitaldeviant/amp-noise-2 After that, the static continues slightly thru most speakers. However, my drivers side front is worse. A weird thing too is if I tap the speaker (drivers side) when it's making this noise, it stops in that speaker. Below is the sound from that speaker after the init sound is gone and this one remains. This is at the 8 sec mark. https://soundcloud.com/digitaldeviant/amp-noise-3 Any advice / help would be appreciated because I have been chasing this down for two weeks now.
And this is the list of what's wrong with my sisters car. A replacement amp did not solve it, so I'm not of any help.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Only way is to test with another amp and then with another speaker. If persists I'd look at wiring. Told u that remote wire theory don't make sense

Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
And this is the list of what's wrong with my sisters car. A replacement amp did not solve it, so I'm not of any help.
Ugh....It's annoying. I have even spoke to car audio guys and they are like bad speakers and bad amp. Some say ground loop or something else, which i have tested. Can my luck be that bad lol. I bought thru amazon and Polk Audio won't warranty it. So I have to return it to amazon. Maybe go with something else after.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Urban, have you checked to see if you have a ground loop? I've tested mine thinking that was the issue as well. So, if you have more than one grounding point made / tied in somewhere. Try removing it and running a ground to the true chasis ground location.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Urban, have you checked to see if you have a ground loop? I've tested mine thinking that was the issue as well. So, if you have more than one grounding point made / tied in somewhere. Try removing it and running a ground to the true chasis ground location.
Ground loop isolators installed to try and fix... But no issue still stuck. Sorry to burst your bubble . Keep looking!

Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

I just listened to your soundcloud. That is bad . That's not like something I've heard. Mine just used to squeal with alternator noise and then would jump back to music randomly. Embarrassing.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Alternator noise is an easy to fix! But after being on the phone with polk and troubleshooting. The amp has a bad channel which is causing this noise. So its getting sent back.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Alternator noise is an easy to fix! But after being on the phone with polk and troubleshooting. The amp has a bad channel which is causing this noise. So its getting sent back.
It isn't there anymore, but I guess it was fixed by the ground loop ISO? Explain ... And congrats.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help troubleshoot Amp