Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 factory radio swap into an 04?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
07 factory radio swap into an 04?

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. Search bar came up with nothing but someone looking to add OEM BT. I'm wondering if I could swap out my oem radio in my 04 for an oem out of an 07? Reason being is the 07 just looks cleaner. Cassette player kinda makes it look a bit too 90's for my taste, and I dont want to go aftermarket, no aftermarket radio looks as clean as the OEM radio with our setup. I have a buddy with an 07 5at that's about ready to rip out his oem and I'd love to know if Nissan changed any wiring or anything that would prevent me from plugging it in (and if the A/C controls are different). I guess I should note I have Bose, but I will be adding a 5-ch amp and my own subwoofer when I do this swap. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Nope. The radio itself would function when plugged in, but you need to swap the *complete* dashboard and trim to make it fit. The climate controls are not compatible. While the radio wiring.harnesses are the same, cars with factory bluetooth have additional wiring in the harness, so you'd have to remove the complete.dash.assembly to swap the wiring.harnesses - and the harness includes pretty much everything behind the dash, so it's a MONSTER wiring.harness, probably secondly only to the wiring.harness running through the engine bay - plus you'll be running wiring going back to the trunk, where the bluetooth module is located.

Here's just some of the wiring.harness you're going to be playing with:

Oh yeah, you'll have to remove the headliner to run the bluetooth microphone wiring. You'll also need the sunglass/microphone compartment to swap as well.

Basically, you're looking at ~20 hrs work to get poor quality bluetooth installed, which is bound to the failure-prone factory radio, so if it goes, that 20hrs of work is worthless. Additionally, there is the risk of breaking trim panels and such to get it done. If you were to pay a shop to do it, you're easily looking at $1000+ at standard shop rates. A very nice DDin.install with much better bluetooth and the other awesome features of an aftermarket radio can be done for less than that in about 2-3 hours.

I'd also argue that the factory looks nowhere near as clean as this:

.mic dropped.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-06-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: stupid auto-links. adding.periods.to.break.them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
Frostbite91 (08-07-2015), G35fromPA (08-10-2015), WhosUrBuddiee (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
/thread.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Lol well ****. Thanks for the info! And yea, that actually does look pretty clean. I'm usually against touch screen radios because I have to have a volume ****, but with steering wheel controls I might reconsider. Guess I'll have to save me up $700 for a jdm dash and dd navigation radio!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Frostbite91
Lol well ****. Thanks for the info! And yea, that actually does look pretty clean. I'm usually against touch screen radios because I have to have a volume ****, but with steering wheel controls I might reconsider. Guess I'll have to save me up $700 for a jdm dash and dd navigation radio!
Well, if you can make it to southern Georgia, you can have it installed for free too. I should have an opening in October.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up

If I were you I'd listen to Wrath. He knows his stuff and I drove 12 hours to get my stereo installed by him. He's a great guy and, extremely knowledgeable about our cars. I'm loving my stereo and all the new functions I'm now able to enjoy. Thanks again Wrath and tell the wife me and my family said hello.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I don't know if I'd drive twelve hours for me, but if you want to make a drive anyway, Savannah's a great place to visit.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:16 PM
lol, I'm in the NW, so it's be a long drive. I'm actually half tempted to do another custom tablet install like I did in my Jeep. cost way less than any touch screen radio unit.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
LOL. I was about to respond as well, but then I scrolled a bit more and saw you posted a pic of my install in my '04, so...well...yeah.

Absolutely no reason to not go aftermarket. I think it looks way better than either the 04 or the 07 radio. And I love the touchscreen.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:49 AM
Thumbs up

I made a family getaway out of it. My wife and son loved it and so did I. I thinking of making a trip to Savanna next summer. Where did you get the purch to mount your cell phone.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 AM
been doing some research and thinking. I did a custom tablet install in my Jeep with an LG Gpad 8.3 and absolutely love it! Being that the case, I dont think I will ever be happy with a DD nav radio. they just dont have the functionality/definition of a tablet. Glare hasnt been an issue yet, and it gets bright enough in the summer days to see it clearly. ALL that being said, I'm going to replace my stock nav with a tablet. Sadly it wont be a massive 8" one, but I'm pretty sure I can find a nice tablet to shove in there. Hell, for $75 (used on ebay) and some creative fiberglass/bondo work I got a badass "radio" that can do 10x what any car radio will do. It's even 4g on Verizon

[Edit] Nexus 6 looks like it'll be a good contender.

Wrathernaut I think I saw a YT vid of one you did with a kindle. How'd that turn out?

Name:  jeep%20dash_zpsipncukp8.jpg
Views: 3957
Size:  80.9 KB

Last edited by Frostbite91; 08-11-2015 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WhosUrBuddiee (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Thumbs up

There's a guy in North Carolina that installed an iPad mini into his G coupe and it looks the business.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
That is awesome work Frostbite. COP 4x4 makes a ipad install kit for the JK wrangler that I debated doing but never did.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by G35fromPA
LOL. I was about to respond as well, but then I scrolled a bit more and saw you posted a pic of my install in my '04, so...well...yeah.

Absolutely no reason to not go aftermarket. I think it looks way better than either the 04 or the 07 radio. And I love the touchscreen.
Yeah, I just pulled one of the most recent from the DDin gallery thread

I'm too lazy to take a picture of my own.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Frostbite91
Wrathernaut I think I saw a YT vid of one you did with a kindle. How'd that turn out?
Um, physical install was very, very good. It's wired to one of the AUX inputs on the radio, it's got power, it looks about as good as you could hope for without doing any custom plastic or fiberglass. Nobody would question me if I said it was stock, if I replaced that "Special Offers" kindle standby screen with some Infiniti logo. The actual device though? not quite as good. There's two major problems with it - 1) Requires external data connection and 2) No built-in GPS. #1 is expected, and you tether it to your phone, problem is that when you do this, the Fire HD has no idea that it's slurping up your bandwidth instead of being on a unlimited home wifi connection, so it might ruin your data plan. #2 can be remedied with a GPS tethering app, but it's a bit buggy.

Bottom line is, the 6" kindle fire tablet is too dependent on your phone to be a good standalone "headunit". I'd recommend getting an older Galaxy Note, Galaxy Mega, HTC One Max, for a similar-sized phone with built-in GPS, the ability to be rooted easily, and, if you really want, its own data connection. I haven't checked to see if I can throw a giant hard drive of music/videos via a USB OTG cable, that would at least make it more usable, but only if it can have power supplied at the same time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 factory radio swap into an 04?