Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Reverse Camera, Red 12v wire too short?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 coupe 6MT Brembo Premium
Reverse Camera, Red 12v wire too short?

So my reverse camera comes with 3 wires: Red 12v, Black ground and Yellow RCA. Some guides have said that I need to connect the 12v wire to the Purple reverse wire by the driver's side kick panel, but my 12v wire is too short! It's just 3-4 feet. It seems that it was designed for cars that have a wire through the trunk/taillights.

Is there another wire I can tap into the trunk area reverse light, or am I going to have to buy a longer 12v wire to reach the drivers kick panel?

Last edited by Rawrster; 12-12-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Hmm...how about tapping it into the reverse light on your tail lights?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by JG_G35
Hmm...how about tapping it into the reverse light on your tail lights?
Where is the best location to access that, and what does the wire look like?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm not too sure what the wire looks like but what I would do is remove the tail lights and trace the wire for the reverse light bulb.

I installed my rear view camera a couple years ago, can't remember how I did it tho. If I g35 a chance tomorrow I'll take a look at the wiring and let you know what I did.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 AM
Also, my headunit (Pioneer AppRadio 4) has a very short purple wire labeled "Reverse Gear Signal Input"
Do I need to touch that?

Old 12-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawrster
Also, my headunit (Pioneer AppRadio 4) has a very short purple wire labeled "Reverse Gear Signal Input"
Do I need to touch that?
Please look here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post5036315

The 12v red line you can tap into the reverse tail light power wire. It's meant to be short because it does not have to go far. It is NOT connected to the wire in the kickpanel you mentioned.

The purple reverse gear signal input wire is what needs to be connected to the in the kickpanel in the thread I posted above. Simply use a piece of extension wire of the same gauge to make the connection. Your local auto parts store will have them for cheap.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by DeafBringer
Please look here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post5036315

The 12v red line you can tap into the reverse tail light power wire. It's meant to be short because it does not have to go far. It is NOT connected to the wire in the kickpanel you mentioned.

The purple reverse gear signal input wire is what needs to be connected to the in the kickpanel in the thread I posted above. Simply use a piece of extension wire of the same gauge to make the connection. Your local auto parts store will have them for cheap.
Which purple wire am I tapping into?
The purple ones in the left bundle of wires(in the plastic tube) have some silver spots/circles on them, and the wires on the right have spots on them as well, but one is solid. I doubt it's on the right side wires because in Wrathernauts guide it was a purple wire in the left tube. Help?

Reverse Camera, Red 12v wire too short?-lhx8qry.jpg

Last edited by Rawrster; 12-15-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:51 AM
Which purple wire am I tapping into?
The purple ones in the left bundle of wires(in the plastic tube) have some silver spots/circles on them, and the wires on the right have spots on them as well, but one is solid. I doubt it's on the right side wires because in Wrathernauts guide it was a purple wire in the left tube. Help?
http://imgur.com/f75hG70
Look carefully at the picture Wrathernauts posted: The harness he is pulling the purple wire from has the white tag with the number 24014. THAT is the harness you will be pulling from

If you have a coupe, it's the purple wire. If you have a sedan, it's the orange wire.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by DeafBringer
Look carefully at the picture Wrathernauts posted: The harness he is pulling the purple wire from has the white tag with the number 24014. THAT is the harness you will be pulling from

If you have a coupe, it's the purple wire. If you have a sedan, it's the orange wire.
Okay, so I'm looking at the same harness with that white tag, but there are about 3 purple wires in there (with those silver markings). I guess I might have to just put the car in reverse and test which one of the three is the true Reverse wire with a multimeter.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:09 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
lol after you figure it out can you post a picture with the correct one isolated? i need this info as well

Old 12-15-2015, 09:55 PM
Okay, so I'm looking at the same harness with that white tag, but there are about 3 purple wires in there (with those silver markings). I guess I might have to just put the car in reverse and test which one of the three is the true Reverse wire with a multimeter.
It should be the solid purple wire. Since I have a sedan, mine was the solid orange color. The link I referred to said purple. The guy that wrote the thread would have indicated what markings the wire had, if any. Don't over complicate this, KISS.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
He asked for a photo of that wire on the guide, so if you find it please post a photo... I actually gave up trying to find it during my install LMAO.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Keep looking in the left wiring bundle. It's solid purple w/no markings. It's in there.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Keep looking in the left wiring bundle. It's solid purple w/no markings. It's in there.
Looked again and, for the life of me, I STILL could not locate any solid purple wire. Four purple wires marked with a silver sharpie(or whatever the factory used)...

Could I just run a wire from the headunit straight to the rear tail lights where I already have the cam's power wire connected?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:29 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by cninham
PART 1

I switched my back-up light "sensing" wire from the one in the TCM harness behind the kick panel on the passenger side to the purple wire behind the kick panel on the driver's side.

See attached pictures:

so i found this post and it seemed super definite. but now i am even more convinced this wire doesnt exist for me. for my 06 6mt coupe, the slot in the B41 connector is blank...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reverse Camera, Red 12v wire too short?